Montblanc - Marc Newson

A1979

post-63755-0-88191200-1433442647_thumb.jpg

Marc Newson has been described as the most influential designer of his generation. He has worked across a wide range of disciplines, creating everything from furniture and household objects to bicycles and cars, private and commercial aircraft, yachts, various architectural commissions, and signature sculptural pieces for clients across the globe.

Born in Sydney, Newson spent much of his childhood travelling in Europe and Asia. He started experimenting with furniture design as a student and, after graduation, was awarded a grant from the Australian Crafts Council with which he staged his first exhibition - featuring the Lockheed Lounge a piece that has now, twenty years later, set three consecutive world records at auction.

Newson has lived and worked in Tokyo, Paris, and London where he is now based, and he continues to travel widely. His clients include a broad range of the best known and most prestigious brands in the world - from manufacturing and technology to transportation, fashion and the luxury goods sector. Many of his designs have been a runaway success for his clients and have achieved the status of modern design icons. In addition to his core business, he has also founded and run a number of successful companies, including a fine watch brand and an aerospace design consultancy, and has also held senior management positions at client companies; including currently being the Creative Director of Qantas Airways.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maxim

• A1979

• rsx

• Jd16

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Video shows very litte......do like the 'look at my watch' pose at 27 secs, like a kid with a new Timex

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Newson is known for very clean, modern lines on his designs. It may well be something quite new for MB

It also may be quite expensive!!

Newson is known for very clean, modern lines on his designs. It may well be something quite new for MB

It also may be quite expensive!!

May be expensive? It's Montblanc, of course it will be.

Yet another "well known" designer I've never heard of here in the insular wilds. Here's a novel concept - ask WRITERS to design their pens!

Yup, a classic example of name branding and little thought.

My Website

FWIW, Lamy has invited designers to create pens with their "Dialog" series and have created some interesting pens in the process. (Dialog 1/2 were interesting, while the Dialog 3 is a fatter Pilot Vanishing Point/Decimo IMHO...)

Granted, I'll never be able to afford one of these, but I'd like to see what this guy has in mind/creates before passing judgement.

"Newson says, 'This is the most complex object you could hope to design from an industrial design perspective. It’s sort of like a watch inside – there are about 300 moving parts.'" I guess the Snorkel has been dethroned, at least in a Rube Goldberg sense. (I don't think I'd enjoy writing with the Hermes vanishing point, though.)

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

"Newson says, 'This is the most complex object you could hope to design from an industrial design perspective. It’s sort of like a watch inside – there are about 300 moving parts.'" I guess the Snorkel has been dethroned, at least in a Rube Goldberg sense. (I don't think I'd enjoy writing with the Hermes vanishing point, though.)

In regards to this Nautilis pen by Mr Newson... I haven't held one, but from looking at the picture I have to ask, is that comfortable to hold for everyone?!?

For those who haven't seen this pen, it's similar in some ways to the omas 360 (entire pen is a triangle). The Hermes design is very minimalist. Though using the pilot vanishing point mechanism is a good choice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/technology/39014/herm%C3%A8s-nautilus-so-much-more-than-a-pen.html

It will be interesting to me to see what design influences we see coming out of Montblanc in terms of any new pens - though maybe all his time will be focused on watches and the other luxury accessories.

I like Newsons work, very clean and futuristic. I don't know how it translates into fountain pens, objects which are inherently traditional and nostalgic. The Hermes pen looks like yet another version of the Lamy dialogue... Use the parlor trick of making the nib retractable, make sure it's hooded when its out as to not fully reveal the century old technology, and make the pen barrel look modern by giving it a unique form= revolutionize the fountain pen world...

That said, I'm looking forward to what MB has in store with Newson. I'd be more inclined to think its a lower priced pen aimed at a younger wider market, even beyond the appeal of the starwalker.