Jinhao 159 In Yellow: Are There Ebay Sources?

I know of no eBay sellers of this pen. And if you know of any, please advise.

Yes, I do know that Goulet has them available, but I'm looking for a more competitive price.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• k3eax

• Jamerelbe

• platon951

• mcgeechan

Here's what I think: Because Goulet seems to be only source of Jinhao's yellow and orange 159s, I suspect that an agreement exists to keep those pens, at this point in time, out of the hands of other dealers. "At this point in time" refers to my prediction that within six-months Jinhao will make the pen generally available to other vendors who will then price the pen at about $5 to $6 dollars.

Here's what I think: Because Goulet seems to be only source of Jinhao's yellow and orange 159s, I suspect that an agreement exists to keep those pens, at this point in time, out of the hands of other dealers. "At this point in time" refers to my prediction that within six-months Jinhao will make the pen generally available to other vendors who will then price the pen at about $5 to $6 dollars.

That's one possibility (and yes, I imagine it's entirely possible!). Another possibility is that Jinhao are only prepared to sell these in massage batches (1,000+, 10,000+, or even 100,000+) - and that thus far, the Goulets are the only ones who've been willing to commit to that kind of bulk. I know their investment in the x450s etc involved a pretty high volume up-front order, and I imagine this is the same. Or the truth could be a combination of those two: that Jinhao *will* eventually release the pen in smaller quantities to smaller details, but see this as a way of maximising profit in the short-term. Capitalise on the up-front popularity and scarcity... then flood the market when the novelty wears off, and continue to profit that way...

I doubt that Goulets ordered 450 and 750 in truly great quantities. They seem to savvy to make the same blunder as did XFountain Pen.

I doubt that Goulets ordered 450 and 750 in truly great quantities. They seem to savvy to make the same blunder as did XFountain Pen.

Maybe not "truly great" quantities - but I do recall Brian Goulet indicating (in a Q&A video, I think), that they were required to place a fairly substantial order. And I've heard a similar story from a local (Australian) supplier, that a minimum buy-in required a substantial commitment...

I do a regular search for them ever since seeing the 1st picture of them last year, still nothing other than 1k+ min order or from Goulet Pens - I would buy from Goulets but delivery to UK from US for such a cheap pen is silly.

Jamerelba, while I do have much respect for the Goulet's business-sense and have at the same time little idea of their anticipated sales volume for the yellow/orange 159, I it is my opinion that they will not recover the cost of placing them in inventory unless the Goulet's purchase price was about $3 USD per unit.,

Jamerelba, while I do have much respect for the Goulet's business-sense and have at the same time little idea of their anticipated sales volume for the yellow/orange 159, I it is my opinion that they will not recover the cost of placing them in inventory unless the Goulet's purchase price was about $3 USD per unit.,

Entirely possible - like you, I have no info on the price they were able to negotiate, nor their mark-up on each pen. That said, I think part of their 'business model' with these pens is that they'll allow the Goulet nib to be swapped in. It may even be that they're prepared to make a small loss on the sale of these pens, if it helps to boost their nib sales?

I have heard from local seller in Delhi...

That new colors of Jinhao 159 are gonna arrive very soon.... Not just yellow and orange but white, blue and red also...

I am not sure how much truth is that... Will confirm once it arrives and I get to see in real...

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Well, I do hope the paint job lasts. I did buy one in black, the paint started to blister after two weeks and I ended up with a polished brass pen!

They came as a boon, and a blessing to men,
The Pickwick, the Owl and the Waverley pen

Sincerely yours,

Pickwick

EBAY YCPENS HAVE THE 159 YELLOW AND ORANGE

8 DLLS FREESHIP !! worldwide !!

THIS IS A 616 ORIGINAL PENS SELLER

SAY: Material: Barrel, Cap: Steel ??

Edited by platon951

While it's always nice to save a dollar or two, I think we ought to bear in mind that The Goulets are one of the finest pen and pen supply sellers most of us aficionados have ever dealt with. Brian and Rachel will always back up their products and though they are slightly more expensive than say, YC, we in the States should consider supporting our own small businesses.

We often wonder why the long time pen stores have gone out of business as did Art Brown's in NYC and others. It may not have necessarily been only higher costs and the burden of business overhead. A contributing factor I suppose, is lack of support from the community of pen lovers.

My next purchase will be Jinhaos in orange and yellow, but the order will be placed at Goulet.

As a bicyclist, I've heard this line of argument quite often from other cyclist when it comes to purchasing replacement parts and accessories. If you will excuse my choice of expression, "I just don't but it".

I suspect that the Goulets made a bad business decision in laying-in a stock of yellow/orange 159s. A crystal ball wasn't needed to foretell that their price would soon be undercut by Asian online vendors. So,I feel no compunction to support bad business decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jinhao-159-General-Orange-Fountain-Pen-Medium-Nib-/331580630183?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d33bee4a7

I think this eBay offering of yello or orange Jinhoa 159 for $8 USD/shipped was posted previously but here it is again. Methinks though that if you wait a month or so the price will go down to $5. Now for those 'locavore" pen buyers who wish to support the Goulet's, you can go directly to their web site and order the pen for $12 USD/plus shipping.

I just received my yellow 159 from the Goulets. I ordered it last Friday, and it arrived yesterday. Every single order that I've placed with the Goulets since I became infected with the fountain pen bug has been just as quick and accurate. The service, the extensive reviews, and the many instructional videos that are on site make the extra couple of dollars in cost a worthwhile investment.

I've noticed that Goulet has reduced the price of several Jinhao pens including the yellow 159 which is currently offered for $9.95 USD plus $2.54 shipping within the US. Interestingly enough, they have maintained the orange 159 selling price of $12.50 USD

Edited by k3eax

• 1 month later...

Hello all, I came across Brian's video on the Yellow and Orange 159 yesterday and HAD to have them both. I have a few black ones, and one has bubbled as another poster mentioned above. After a quick search on ebay, I found them and have ordered. Very excited. They were £6.99 each about double what I've paid in the past, but that is absolutely fine. The quality is generally great and the nibs I have always found to be very smooth and very pleasurable to write with.

Here is a link for any interested parties: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171832501023?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and the seller is called 'combinedshipping'. Happy buying!

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba