Opinions On White Pens, Would You Buy One?

The Blue Knight

Eyeing up another pen and considering buying it in white however I don't think it would be a permanent addition so I'm conscious that the time will probably come when I will shift it obviously at knocked down price 50-60%. So I was wondering what the general opinion on white pens was. Would you consider one if the pen looked attractive in the finish? Just to ensure I don't end up with something that is "white elephant".

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manalto

• Bex66

• Frank C

• Barkingpig

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What pen are you considering purchasing?

Faber Castell Ondoro white. I really like the look in white it almost has a glacial look to it.

http://www.penparadise.co.uk/prodzoomimg670.jpg

Sure, if you like it, go for it.

I have a couple white pens.

I think white is no different than any other color.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I love white pens. I have a white Pilot Decimo and a Prera. I think they look classical and clean. I agree that the Faber Castell ones are lovely.

Just be fastidious in cleaning after refills. Though white is a nice color, some inks have a tendency to cling or stain the material of the section, and by my measure, that includes any material where a simple swipe with a paper towel cannot remove all the ink. As long as you keep this in mind, you should be fine.

This is from an almost unfortunate incident with my white tortoise Pelikan M400. Luckily diluted ammonia took care of it.

I don't have a white pen, but have been interested in them for quite a while. That FC is quite handsome. I would really like to get one, it's only a matter of time (and of course money). Most of my pens are vintage and there weren't too many white vintage pens. I'd love to get one of the white Esterbrooks, nurses or pastel, but you just don't see them often, and the ones I do see are either really expensive (for Esterbrooks) or cracked around the lip.

I say go for it.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Like them.

http://www.fototime.com/3C60556BDABD4CF/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/B133262F36F9119/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/03CE27FBA9315F5/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/DFF209ED3DB9153/standard.jpg

Some of the older white pens have yellowed/browned over time.

I have an Esterbrook nurses pen that isn't quite white. But then that took a few decades to yellow, so you have time.

As for staining, I would treat it similar to a clear pen.

Don't use inks which are known for staining and/or being difficult to clean. And clean the pen often, well at least more often than one might clean a black pen.

One procedure that I read about was where one guy, rather than using a converter which would require sticking the white section into the ink, he used syringe filled cartridges.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Personally, everyone has black pens.White pens are unique...I own four.

Beautiful pens BTW, jar!

"You mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.” "Forever optimistic with a theme and purpose." "My other pen is oblique and dippy."

Perhaps you will be pleased to find that there are many persons who would choose the pen in white as most of the above posts reflect. I FIRST bought a Pelikan M800 Brown Tortoise because of it's reputation being the "perfect pen" by many users. I wanted the brown because I thought it complimented the tortoise better than green. Almost 2 years later I have recently purchased a M600 in White because the more I saw pictures of them I liked "that look" as well. My concern was the smaller size NOT the color choice & yet I didn't want to wait until a larger model was available. I had already purchased a Caran D'Ache Leman in white as well as the Montegrappa Symphony in Parchment. Having enjoyed those pens made me happy to take the chance on the smaller sized Pelikan to have it also in white.

I believe that as interest in pens continue many people expand their original criterion for "choice" because I have added metal & EVEN a few black pens when I was originally convinced I would NEVER buy either. Color is certainly only one criteria & I doubt there are as many users who would eschew white as there are who would choose it. I suspect the maker of the pen is probably the first consideration.

Edited by Barkingpig

I love white pens! Though there seems to be a small number of truly white pens out there. From my meager experience, I often see ivory, eggshell, & cream, but, perhaps, these shades help deter yellowing over time?

At any rate, I believe it's pretty well known on this forum which ink stain which do not (a simple search will bring up lists of threads on the topic). If you're concern about ink stains, avoid certain inks and, as another user suggested, use a blunt ended syringe to fill cartridges or converters with ink, which I do for all my pens (to avoid bubbles, nothing to do with staining).

Buy the pen! XD

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Mrs Catbert has a white Stipula Passaporto. It’s a pretty pen but frustratingly dry for a stub. Currently eyedroppered with a J. Herbin pale pink ink. Given the capacity and stingy flow, ink is likely to sit in it for some time. Perhaps some internal staining will result, perhaps it’s opaque enough that it won't show externally. At least the section should remain pristine with this filling method.

I have two M205 pens in white. I love how they are a little different from the ubiquitous black pens. However, white pens have also made me more aware of ink inside the cap and also ink stuck in the groves of the screw threads on the barrel. I was using J. Herbin Rose Cyclamen which made is quite noticeable on a white pen! I tend to choose "easy care" inks for my white pens, so it all washes away when it is time for the pen's spa treatment.

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

So I was wondering what the general opinion on white pens was. Would you consider one if the pen looked attractive in the finish? Just to ensure I don't end up with something that is "white elephant".

fpn_1433376266__a_firm.jpg

Fred

redactin' Got to, got to have it.................{smileyfacethingie}

Edited by Freddy

With any matter of personal taste, what does it matter what others think? Unless perhaps you're thinking of eventual resale value, I suppose.

My only white fountain pen is a plastic Kaweco Sport, which I ended up disliking for reasons unconnected with its appearance. Staining was the least of it.

If I went only on appearance, I don't think I'd buy another white pen, but perhaps if one came up that I expected to be a sensational writer, and I could save a lot of money on it, I'd consider it.

If you were to ask whether anybody around here likes purple pens with yellow and pink blobs on them, you'd probably get a few positive answers. Something for everybody. :)

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I like white pens. I want to have a Lamy Safari collection and one of the first I will get will be a white one.

This Ondoro pen is sexy. It will be going on the need to buy list. Which for now is surprisingly small.

Faber Castell Ondoro white. I really like the look in white it almost has a glacial look to it.

http://www.penparadise.co.uk/prodzoomimg670.jpg

I own a Romanica with a cream body. The section is slightly PR Blue Suede, but then I'm not looking to sell it to anyone else.

While I've sold many pen in my day to make down payments on houses and other worthy causes, I certainly never bought already contemplating a future sale. :wacko: