Pelikan Binde?

watch_art

Here are two more I've finished-

20161114_094605.jpg

20161114_094618.jpg

This gorgeous gal is mine! I'm affectionately calling it my Gryffindor pen :lol:

It'll arrive just in time to raise my spirits after a harrowing school term, and working with Shawn to get it done was a real pleasure! I've already got another pen in mind to send to him ;) Can't recommend him highly enough!

Never pick a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel.

~ Mark Twain

----------------

Pen and Inkstagram!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• watch_art

• PAKMAN

• RMN

• bbycrts

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

This gorgeous gal is mine! I'm affectionately calling it my Gryffindor pen :lol:

It'll arrive just in time to raise my spirits after a harrowing school term, and working with Shawn to get it done was a real pleasure! I've already got another pen in mind to send to him ;) Can't recommend him highly enough!

Ach! Killer finish! What a beautiful bird! Like the given name too! Enjoy...

I know that this thread seems to be all about Shawn's wonderful work; but I have just seen something on eBay that is slightly suspect (to me, at any rate) and since the thread <is> about bindes, here goes (as a warning)...

There is someone selling a vintage 100 right now in the valuable blue finish (which is lovely and yes, I do covet it). He describes it as possible NOS and the EF engraving on the piston filler cap is pristine; but the blue binde is cracked and opening up in two places! Be warned! (He doesn't mention <that> in the description...)

Edited by Christopher Godfrey

I can put bindes on all of the modern Pelikan line if you want it done to one of your pens. I won't touch the vintage models - the barrel is too thin by the threads.

Are you willing to try an M300?

The M805 you did for me is the only pen I use any more. It has really ruined me for all other pens. I sometimes sit in class just staring at the different colors in the barrel.

Christopher Godfrey....Not finding it, do you have a link?

Edited by BillH

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I am not taking anymore 200, 400, or 600 size pens. Only the 800 and 1000 sizes with the threaded piston units.

Thanks

Oops! I asked too soon!

I'd be interested in seeing the 100 on ebay as well. Sometimes the old bindes would crack and break apart. Sometimes the modern ones do that! :)

Other people have put bindes on vintage 100s but I won't mess with them. I can't afford to replace a broken pen! :)

Thank you Shawn. For some reason I just went right on by that one earlier.

Just out of curiosity, how do you get two splits like that? I can imagine a seam giving up but two cracks like that on what appears to be a pretty nice and gently used pen... can you or anyone else teach this rookie what is happening there? Thanks...

Oh I have no clue. It could be the pen was exposed to lots of different temperatures, soaked, mistreated over the years that only show up in the binde. Maybe forceful posting... really don't know. Sometimes the bindes just fail. Have you ever seen what the modern ones look like when they start to split?

Oh I have no clue. It could be the pen was exposed to lots of different temperatures, soaked, mistreated over the years that only show up in the binde. Maybe forceful posting... really don't know. Sometimes the bindes just fail. Have you ever seen what the modern ones look like when they start to split?

I remember seeing a pic of a binde that had started to split from the center, like a too small shirt with a popped button. I imagine you've seen plenty of different damaged bindes.

And I didn't think about temperature extremes in storage, which sounds very possible to me. Thanks for the insight, I appreciate it.

Here's the last small size binde I'll ever do. With photos of the damaged piston knob. X(

I can take them apart without breaking them, but even then it's risky to take them apart b/c the little grippy ridges on the piston unit break apart a little every time the pen is taken apart. So if you don't break it, you still break it. Once is okay, more than that is asking for trouble. You can shellac or loc-tite the part in if you have to.

20161216_151210.jpg?fit=1000%2C480&ssl=1

20161216_151240.jpg?fit=1000%2C514&ssl=1

20161216_151313.jpg?fit=600%2C427&ssl=1

20161216_153217.jpg?fit=1000%2C438&ssl=1

• 9 months later...

Attractive pen with your customary flawless engineering.

My untrained eye tells me 'tis a hybrid m620 series Chicago / New york.

{thumbsupthingie}

Fred

Yeah I guess it looks similar to that. It's just a chunk of dark gray/black cebloplast that I had layin around. Actually my last little bit of it. He wanted something dark and conservative, that wouldn't catch his eye. This just happened to be it. :)

• 4 months later...

​Hey, that's my pen! But here is a little back story:

​I had the blue binde on my M805 replaced by Chris Burton some years ago. If you scroll back through this thread you can see pictures of it in post #18. I really liked it and would have been happy to have it forever. However the material cracked, I guess that material is susceptible to water damage, I never got it wet but the humidity is always high here in Western WA.

So, what to do? I contacted Shawn and he indicated that he could indeed replace the damaged binde. I originally wanted it done in blue lizard but upon reflection I elected to go with the gray lizard. Glad I did, this is a great looking pen, even nicer 'in the flesh'.

I am happy with how this turned out. That's a Pendleton BLS nib by the way, making this a top drawer writer.

From this:

13299722573_1fe2f2d1e4_c.jpgP3200074 by Doctor Codfish, on Flickr

to this:

39281388534_6dd565ecb2_c.jpgP1000272 by Doctor Codfish, on Flickr

39281388834_6c55bc8e2f_c.jpgP1000277 by Doctor Codfish, on Flickr

A close up of the material:

39281388904_2f6c09773c_c.jpgP1000278 by Doctor Codfish, on Flickr

Edited by DrCodfish

Real nice DrC! I actually like that gray lizard on the new binde better than the one you had before. Both look terrific with the blue section, cap and knob. Good choice sir!

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain