Which Conid? Regular Or Minimalistica?

DWR

With the recent rave reviews of the Conid Bulkfiller, I've decided to join in the fray.

So which one should I start with, the Regular size or Minimalistica? It seems to me that the sizes and feel are very similar. I currently use all sizes of pens with all types of nibs...but prefer the M800 and 146, for size. It also seems that the choice comes down to a slip cap vs. screw on...and flat black vs. demonstrator. On either pen I'd begin with a titanium medium, and just see where that might take me.

I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts.

D

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• captain1796

• sd10521

• da vinci

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi DWR,

Welcome to the excitement :) .

At the moment I only have the one Bulkfiller, a regular sized, flat top, demonstrator. My preference is for the larger sized pen and as such, whilst I could probably write for days with my regular sized Bulkfiller, in much the same way I would with one of my MB 146 pens, I am currently looking to acquire a King-sized version.

Fellow members mongrelnomad or alc3261 or stevesurf are better placed to advise you, as I understand each has a few of these wonderful pens. In the meantime, all the best in what ever you ultimately decide to purchase; you won't be disappointed. :thumbup:

Pavoni.

Thanks Pavoni; DWR, if you like the M800 and LeGrand pen sizes, consider that the Regular Bulkfiller will actually be smaller in length capped than either M800 or 146. The M800 uses a nib that is about 35mm in length that I believe may be around the size of the Kingsize nib. Then there is the choice between flat top or dome style. If you want a much smaller pen than what you are used to, then consider the Minimalist; slightly smaller, then Regular; comparative, then Kingsize. Best of luck and any of these pens are wonderful.

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

I just this very minute ordered the Minimalistica!!! I would think the size similar to the MB 146 or a bit larger. I too read the reviews and was mightily impressed, hence the purchase. Just may be the last pen I ever need...false hope springs eternal.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

I opted for the Minimalistica+. Almost identical to my 146 in size. Fantastic pen. The titanium nib is far superior to my 146 two-tone nib. I had planned on only the one Conid. Must say that a demonstrator would be nice. But I am more than content with the Minimalistica+. Very hard to use any other pen quite frankly.

What's your thought on the slip cap. I have a slimline and kind of like the minimilistica because I like the parker 51 slip cap.

I like the slip cap. It does have a little side to side play but I have absolutely no concerns of the cap dislodging itself. I think it's more secure than my P51 but maybe not as secure as my Waterman Carene. The rubber o-ring has a lot of friction on the delrin.

I opted for the Minimalistica+. Almost identical to my 146 in size. Fantastic pen. The titanium nib is far superior to my 146 two-tone nib. I had planned on only the one Conid. Must say that a demonstrator would be nice. But I am more than content with the Minimalistica+. Very hard to use any other pen quite frankly.

I got in on the FPR on the Minimalistica, I'm so impressed with this pen I'm actually thinking of downsizing my collection of pens that are rarely used now. My only concern is that when I just go out of the house in a T-shirt i sometimes clip a pen in the neck opening. I'm not that confident the cap will hold very well in this manner. I may have to start wearing more shirts with pockets.

However I do see another Conid in my future. The ease of doing a quick and thorough cleaning is just one of the great features of this pen.

I really like my Conid Regular. The Fine Titanium nib is a wet writer. When posted, the pen is top-heavy; I did get the titanium model. Good luck with your Conid. It has been in my pocket daily since it arrived.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I really like my Conid Regular. The Fine Titanium nib is a wet writer. When posted, the pen is top-heavy; I did get the titanium model. Good luck with your Conid. It has been in my pocket daily since it arrived.

I get it now, as I'm hoping myself to get another with a Ti F or even EF :)

You're right about the more complex Kanji and notes, too, it's good to have a balance of fines and broads :)

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

I'm anxiously awaiting for a package from Conid containing a #5 titanium fine nib and a #5 gold nib that Francis ground to an EF stub. I have a gold fine on the slimline now I'm really looking forward to using one of his special grinds.

I get it now, as I'm hoping myself to get another with a Ti F or even EF :)

You're right about the more complex Kanji and notes, too, it's good to have a balance of fines and broads :)

I tend to go toward the extremes. I like fine or extra-fine Japanese nibs and I like broad or double-broad European nibs. I have a few in between, too.

To get back on-topic, I really like my Conid Titanium Fine, but I ordered an extra-fine on my slimline.

Edited by Frank C

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

Wow, I have a Kingsize bulkfiller and the Pi version of the Minimalistica, and I hate the Min. It writes well, but the cap doesn't fit, or stay on properly, it wiggles and feels cheap.

Also, to me, a dual chamber pen MUST have a see through window for the small chamber. Otherwise, how do you know how much ink is in there?

Anyway, as I posted before, for the money it's OK, but i'd rather have a Lamy Safari for $25 than the Minimalistica.

Wow, I have a Kingsize bulkfiller and the Pi version of the Minimalistica, and I hate the Min. It writes well, but the cap doesn't fit, or stay on properly, it wiggles and feels cheap.

Also, to me, a dual chamber pen MUST have a see through window for the small chamber. Otherwise, how do you know how much ink is in there?

Anyway, as I posted before, for the money it's OK, but i'd rather have a Lamy Safari for $25 than the Minimalistica.

Mike, does the cap not seat completely when closed? Or, in what respect does it wiggle? Is there an inner cap that seats to seal the nib but the outer shell doesn't sit flush against the pen? Thanks.

Not Mike, but the 0-ring sits pretty far into the cap so the cap will wiggle when capped, particularly down by the rim of the cap. The cap does not sit flush against the pen body.But we're talking a 16th of an inch of wiggle.I can see where that would bother some folks. It looks to me like there is an inner cap or a inner cap was machined into the outer cap. Sorry Mike that you're not enamored with your Minimalistica.

Mike ,

For removing / installing the cap on the Minimalistica one has to pull / push while slightly turning the cap (or the barrel),

In fact the cap should be installed or removed using a "screwing" or "unscrewing" movement.

An ink window will never be offered on the Minimalistica, but there a many pen s which don't feature an ink window, think Parker 51, Sheaffer snorkel,PFM ….

Francis

Looking for some assistance...I want to purchase a Conid..I had a couple of questions...sent an email to Werner 3days ago on 6/9..no response. This is what I sent to Werner...Can anyone help me out with answers?

So I am looking to purchase a Conid Fountain Pen..a demonstrator/clear
Either the Slimline or the Regular...with Titanium nib and Titanium trim
In terms of nibs:
Are they screw in nib/feed assembly (user replaceable)?
Can I buy additional nibs thru you? and if so how much for a titanium?
Nib size: On a regular nib I currently enjoy the Pelikan Fine (.40mm) and the Pilot Medium (.55mm) and whatever falls in between.. most importantly for me is a SMOOTH NIB, with a nice line (medium flow)
What would fall into that range in your Titanium nib size?
Also, I would want to purchase a titanium stub nib - do you offer and what is the cost?
Thanks in advance for any responses..
Bill

Looking for some assistance...I want to purchase a Conid..I had a couple of questions...sent an email to Werner 3days ago on 6/9..no response. This is what I sent to Werner...Can anyone help me out with answers?

So I am looking to purchase a Conid Fountain Pen..a demonstrator/clear
Either the Slimline or the Regular...with Titanium nib and Titanium trim
In terms of nibs:
Are they screw in nib/feed assembly (user replaceable)?
Can I buy additional nibs thru you? and if so how much for a titanium?
Nib size: On a regular nib I currently enjoy the Pelikan Fine (.40mm) and the Pilot Medium (.55mm) and whatever falls in between.. most importantly for me is a SMOOTH NIB, with a nice line (medium flow)
What would fall into that range in your Titanium nib size?
Also, I would want to purchase a titanium stub nib - do you offer and what is the cost?
Thanks in advance for any responses..
Bill

Francis, also from Conid, just posted above. So they are watching this topic. Each of them has a full-time job, so they don't always answer emails as quickly as we would like. I believe the nibs are user replaceable, but I have never taken mine out. They well sell you an extra nib. I have a fine titanium nib; it is comparable to a fine Pelikan nib. The nib is extremely smooth. Mine is a wet writer. I use Sailor ink in it. Francis is a well-known nib tuner in Europe. He will turn one of the nibs into a stub for you. You can see the cost for nib modifications on the website. If you want to get the ball rolling, you can go ahead and order the pen. Each is custom made, so it will take a month or so for it to arrive.

The nibs are user replaceable (screw-in type nib/feed assembly). You can order additional nibs with your pen purchase and then swap them out as desired. As of now, the cost for a titanium nib is roughly $60 USD.

I have a titanium stub on it's way as we speak (currently in customs at LA). There is an additional charge for a custom grind. If I remember, I'll let you know how it writes.