Etoile De Montblanc - Converter?

Feathers

Happily just acquired a new Etoile de Montblanc, and the only thing that I don't love about it is the lack of a converter. Knowing it was cartridge only was the one thing that gave me pause before purchasing, but I fell in love with it anyway ;) Does anyone know of any converter that just might fit this lovely pen? I've already resigned myself to having to refill my cartridges, but I thought maybe, just maybe, someone might have a solution for me :)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Feathers

• StrawberryJam

• bubba818

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked this same question about 2 weeks ago but didn't get a response. Looking more online, I think some people might have had some success with the monteverde mini converter, so maybe you can try that and report back?

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

Ahh, I see your post now. It didn't come up in my FPN search originally. Hmm, interesting! I had heard somewhere about the mini converter - maybe being used in a Kaweco or something? Can't recall. So you haven't tried it yet yourself? How are you enjoying your new Etoile? I won't get my hands on that converter for a bit, as I will have to put together an order from Goulet and the shipping costs to Canada are meh, :rolleyes: so I have to make it a good order LOL. Thanks for the tip, though! If you get one before I do, do let me know if it works. :) I'm kind of hoping someone else will chime in with either a confirmation or another solution.

Ahh, I see your post now. It didn't come up in my FPN search originally. Hmm, interesting! I had heard somewhere about the mini converter - maybe being used in a Kaweco or something? Can't recall. So you haven't tried it yet yourself? How are you enjoying your new Etoile? I won't get my hands on that converter for a bit, as I will have to put together an order from Goulet and the shipping costs to Canada are meh, :rolleyes: so I have to make it a good order LOL. Thanks for the tip, though! If you get one before I do, do let me know if it works. :) I'm kind of hoping someone else will chime in with either a confirmation or another solution.

My Etiole is currently in Hamburg awaiting a nib swap, so I haven't actually had a chance to write with it yet. When it comes back, I'll be sure to post about it. :)

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

Oh, I think you will love it! What nib are you swapping it out for? Mine has a lovely EF smooth nib. Very pleased with it!

Well, tonight for kicks, I thought I would try the little converter that came with my Monteverde Artista Crystal. While it fits fine in the barrel, it is just too large of a fit for the feed and it fell right off. Dang, I thought I was on to something there :P

The MB boutique had the pen with an "M" nib but I am getting mine swapped out with an "OB" that is on the narrow, crispier side. Can't wait for it to get back to me! :)

Current Wishlist:

I use a plastic bottle with steel needle to fill up my cartridge and even my converter. It is faster, easier and cleaner than dunking the converter in the bottle of ink. They are also cheap less than $1 a bottle. I use a syringe to fill the plastic bottle (15ml) and it is good for 20 refills.

The MB boutique had the pen with an "M" nib but I am getting mine swapped out with an "OB" that is on the narrow, crispier side. Can't wait for it to get back to me! :)

Oh yeah, that sounds awesome! Looking forward to hearing how you like it! :thumbup: The waiting is the worst hahha

Feathers, how are you finding the tapering neck on the pen? I just picked up a Dupont Liberte which has a contoured neck as well, and it bugs me, and now I'm all fearful that I won't like my Etiole when it comes back...:(

Current Wishlist:

• 4 weeks later...

Happily just acquired a new Etoile de Montblanc, and the only thing that I don't love about it is the lack of a converter. Knowing it was cartridge only was the one thing that gave me pause before purchasing, but I fell in love with it anyway ;) Does anyone know of any converter that just might fit this lovely pen? I've already resigned myself to having to refill my cartridges, but I thought maybe, just maybe, someone might have a solution for me :)

As an update - the monteverde regular international converter (with the clear plastic plunger back) is working for me as a converter. "Regular" international converters, such as the Schmidt K5-based ones, will not fit.

Current Wishlist:

As an update - the monteverde regular international converter (with the clear plastic plunger back) is working for me as a converter. "Regular" international converters, such as the Schmidt K5-based ones, will not fit.

You must be a mind reader, because I was going to reach out to you today and ask if you had a chance to acquire a converter. I actually own this converter, and it didn't seem to fit for me when I first tried it? It seemed to big to hang onto the feed properly? Maybe I didn't push it up far enough? Any tips? Thanks again!

You must be a mind reader, because I was going to reach out to you today and ask if you had a chance to acquire a converter. I actually own this converter, and it didn't seem to fit for me when I first tried it? It seemed to big to hang onto the feed properly? Maybe I didn't push it up far enough? Any tips? Thanks again!

Try pushing it in a little harder? I noticed that with the "regular" K5 converters, the "body" of the converter is just a hair too thick to fit onto the feed properly. However, for some reason I was able to get the monteverde clear-backed one to fit into the opening and connect to the feed.

Note that it's not the snuggest fit -- like, when I pull the converter out, there is a little bit of ink on the rim/lip of the converter.* But it seems to do the job of "have ink in converter, get ink to flow into the feed" so I'll live with it for now until I find something better.

*I also do not think the converter will fall out if you hold the pen vertical, nib up. But I have not actually tried this.

Edited by StrawberryJam

Current Wishlist:

Dang, I tried it again, and it's just too loose. It falls right off the of the feed when I hold the pen up. There is nothing to push into either. What a shame. :crybaby: I guess I will have to give the Kaweco one a try. Thanks again.

Dang, I tried it again, and it's just too loose. It falls right off the of the feed when I hold the pen up. There is nothing to push into either. What a shame. :crybaby: I guess I will have to give the Kaweco one a try. Thanks again.

That's weird. What do you mean by "there's nothing to push into either"? There should be a little thing that sticks out that the converter nipple attaches to:

http://i.imgur.com/By2rMbk.jpg

I just tested mine and while I wouldn't go and shake my pen up and down like a cocktail mixer, the converter definitely stayed in. I tested it with my two other monteverde crystal converters and they also fit (again, not the most snug, but workable).

http://i.imgur.com/xsHgtO0.jpg

Current Wishlist:

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Thanks for taking the time to post the photos above, that was very kind of you. The nipple is there, it's just such a loose fit, that the converter doesn't even stay in it. It doesn't require any shaking or obvious movements to dislodge the converter from the feed. It's just that loose on mine. :( When I said there was nothing to push into either, that's all I meant, just that there was nothing for it to hang onto, no shoving it in harder etc. So strange that they work on yours, but not on mine. I'm using the original converter that came with my Monteverde Artista Crystal pen, so I can't imagine the converters being much (if any?) different, but who knows.

Dang, dang, dang :wallbash: