Gold Versus Steel Nibs-An Old Answer From Sheaffer

corgicoupe

I have read many discussions about this, and each time I would think back to a letter dated June 1982 that I received from Norman G. Dodson, the Manager of Product Development at Sheaffer Eaton. I thought that letter had been discarded, but it recently turned up in a notebook on one of my library shelves. I thought it worthwhile to share it on this forum. History: I had purchased two Targas in the summer of 1982 [my first ever fountain purchase, and the last for about 10 years] and was wondering about the wisdom of spending the extra money to by another one with a gold nib, so I wrote to Sheaffer. This is the answer I was given.

The advantages of the gold nib are primarily aesthetic and ego satisfaction. The only functional differences we can detect are: (1) The gold nib is a little softer and more flexible, a feature which may cause the user to perceive a "smoother feel" and (2) the ink flow is a little freer.Identical construction results in slightly "wetter" writing than with the stainless steel nib. The tipping material...is exactly the same on both so the part touching the paper is the same in each case.

The increased flexibility is, of course, due to the fact that the elastic modulus of gold is about half that of iron, and alloying does not have a great impact on elastic modulus of gold alloys or stainless steels. Some of you engineers may remember this from your "strength of materials" courses. The idea that this increased flexibility would be "perceived as a smoother feel" was a new thought for me. The "wetter writing" of the gold nib probably has to do with the surface properties of the gold alloy, and if I had to guess I would offer the suggestion that it had to do with the protective oxides that inhibit corrosion in stainless steel. Gold is the only element that does not oxidize, and the alloying elements in nibs [probably copper and nickel] may not significantly affect the surface properties of gold. The surface tension is probably less for the ink on the gold than it is on the stainless steel and so flows more easily.

This is not going to be a decision-maker for anybody when purchasing a fountain pen, but I thought it to be a worthy addition to the discussion.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corgicoupe

• hari317

• pajaro

• Mangrove Jack

thanks for your interesting post.

i have always maintained that gold nibs generally speaking (of course it depends on the manufacturing process, shape of the tines, and feed, but generally speaking) allow for greater ink flow, due to the lower surface tension of gold; the ink is diffused over a wider surface area and hence the nib seems wetter and the flow freer. this holds even for gold-plated nibs, i find, which also have more responsiveness than any of my steel-nibbed pens.

of course i do have some prima donnas amongst gold nibbed pens, but this is due more to an inadequate feed mechanism than to the nib.

tipping the nib point as manufacturers do, protects the point and ensures that both types of nib make proper contact with the writing surface; hence steel nibs can write as smoothly as gold, but with less individual character in the shaping of letters.

No man is a slave unless he is willing to be bought by another. (EP)

Thank you so much for this informative post. Is there a way you could post the original letter so we could put to rest (maybe?) the gold vs steel debate?

Gold is the only element that does not oxidize,

Some of the platinum group metals, for starters, would like to have a word with you, particularly platinum, palladium, rhodium and iridium. They tend to be about as corrosion-resistant as gold, if not better in some cases. We get to see some of them used in making nibs, too.

Gold oxide (Au2O3) may take a little work to form, but it has been long used to produce colored glass, as has been gold chloride.

Edited by Water Ouzel

<...but I thought it to be a worthy addition to the discussion>

Actually, corgicoupe, this is inaccurate, since there <was> no conversation -- until you started it! Thank you, however, for an interesting topic! The very last post before mine is interesting -- and think of gold that has lain, unused, for a long time -- what do you do to it? You <polish> it -- to remove the oxidation, such as it is...

Forgive my smart-alec response: I always think accuracy to be important, myself!

Polishing metal is as often performed to remove surface scratches and features to make it smooth and shiny, not just to remove oxide from the surface.

Pure, 24 k gold does not oxidize in nature. Gold nuggets that have been in the ground for hundreds of thousands of years are not oxidized. Gold panned out of a stream bed is shiny with no oxide surface. Most gold in rock comes out of veins that solidified from a molten intrusion of silicate material (lava) that was thrust upward into cracks in the rock strata overhead. This produces quartz veins that contained heavy metals in the molten state prior to the intrusion. Thus, gold, silver, platinum, iridium, iron, thorium, copper, titanium, etc. are locked in the quartz (primarily) vein. The noble metals stay un-oxidized (even though they were once at the temperature of molten magma (close to 3,000 F) exposed to oxygen). The copper, iron, titanium, and other non-noble metals solidify in the form of oxides, sulphides, etc.. The gold stays shiny bright. The only polishing needed is to make the surface bright, as it is often frosted from the granular crystals, not to remove any oxide layer. Gold does not oxidize under normal conditions. In molten glass it can flash to form ruby glass under the right heat treatments, as it is incorporated in the silicate structure of the amorphous glass and forms color centers in the silicate glass. But, flakes pure of gold are often incorporated inside molten glass and they remain perfectly shiny and un-oxidized in the solidified glass, giving it great sparkle.

Look at gold from the ancient Egyptian tombs - it was not polished after being found after thousands of years. Gold found in 300 year old ship wrecks in the ocean is not oxidized. The silver is, the copper, bronze, and iron are. But the gold stays bright and shiny. This applies only for alloys close to 24 k gold.

Electrical connections are often plated with pure gold for two reasons. It has a very high electrical conductivity and it will not oxidize or corrode on the surfaces, thus keeping good conductivity as long as it remains on the surface.

Accuracy is important. I have a material science education with knowledge of mineralogy and geology, along with over 40 years laboratory and R&D experience.

Edited by graystranger

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

<...but I thought it to be a worthy addition to the discussion>

Actually, corgicoupe, this is inaccurate, since there <was> no conversation -- until you started it! Thank you, however, for an interesting topic! The very last post before mine is interesting -- and think of gold that has lain, unused, for a long time -- what do you do to it? You <polish> it -- to remove the oxidation, such as it is...

Forgive my smart-alec response: I always think accuracy to be important, myself!

I suppose I should have said "...but I thought it to be a worthy addition to the many discussions I have seen." and that would have been more accurate.

Robert Frost

Polishing metal is as often performed to remove surface scratches and features to make it smooth and shiny, not just to remove oxide from the surface.

Pure, 24 k gold does not oxidize in nature.

Accuracy is important. I have a material science education with knowledge of mineralogy and geology, along with over 40 years laboratory and R&D experience.

Yes, you are quite correct. I should have acknowledged the corrosion resistance of the other noble metals. I also have a materials science education, and did my PhD on defects in pure platinum, so there is no excuse for my error there. Your geology and mineralogy background, which I do not have, certainly adds to the discussion. Hmmm, central VA. Did you study in Blacksburg?

Robert Frost

Thank you so much for this informative post. Is there a way you could post the original letter so we could put to rest (maybe?) the gold vs steel debate?

Here is a PDF of the letter. He offers explanations and opinions on other topics as well. I don't have a copy of my letter to Sheaffer, and I don't remember all that I asked.

Sheaffer Targa letter 20150601_11443944.pdf

Robert Frost

The increased flexibility is, of course, due to the fact that the elastic modulus of gold is about half that of iron, and alloying does not have a great impact on elastic modulus of gold alloys or stainless steels. Some of you engineers may remember this from your "strength of materials" courses.

Are you saying then that a 100% unalloyed gold nib would have the same elastic properties as a 14ct gold alloy nib? I find that hard to believe.

Regarding Mr Dodson's comments in the letter, it looks like he was writing about the specific gold and steel nibs that Sheaffer supplied for the Targa, rather than the differences between gold and steel nibs in general.

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

That is true, but the two properties that differ, the elastic modulus and the the surface properties would hold true for any equally dimensioned nibs from a single manufacturer.

Robert Frost

Yes, you are quite correct. I should have acknowledged the corrosion resistance of the other noble metals. I also have a materials science education, and did my PhD on defects in pure platinum, so there is no excuse for my error there. Your geology and mineralogy background, which I do not have, certainly adds to the discussion. Hmmm, central VA. Did you study in Blacksburg?

Nope, I spent 7 years at Ga Tech. Got a BS and MS in Ceramic Engineering, plus all the metallurgy courses I could fit in during those years. My experience in the work place ranges from working in a mineral lab to space craft insulation, advanced composites (ceramic, metal, and polymer matrix), armor, ultra high temperature materials, adhesives, polymers, and R&D related to manufacturing nuclear components. However, I do love Va Tech and have lots of friends and co-workers who went there. I have a lot of respect for Va Tech and had a consultant from there. Now retired, learning more about fountain pens than in all the years using them at work.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Are you saying then that a 100% unalloyed gold nib would have the same elastic properties as a 14ct gold alloy nib? I find that hard to believe.

The elastic modulus is primarily determined by interatomic forces, and these forces are not greatly influenced by small alloying additions that do not change the crystal structure of the alloy. The common alloying elements used in gold meet this criterion.

When the applied stress exceeds the elastic limit, the yield strength, then plastic [permanent] deformation occurs. The yield strength can be significantly modified by small alloying additions.

Look at figure 4 in the document in this link: https://www.jim.or.jp/journal/e/pdf3/45/07/2200.pdf

The slope of the straight portion of the curve defines the elastic modulus. When it starts to curve over it has reached the yield strength and the alloy deforms plastically. You can see that the slope of the straight-line portion does not change much with alloying.

Robert Frost

My late husband was a monk-turned-geologist-turned-database administrator. The most interesting man in the world.

I have read many discussions about this, and each time I would think back to a letter dated June 1982 that I received from Norman G. Dodson, the Manager of Product Development at Sheaffer Eaton. I thought that letter had been discarded, but it recently turned up in a notebook on one of my library shelves. I thought it worthwhile to share it on this forum. History: I had purchased two Targas in the summer of 1982 [my first ever fountain purchase, and the last for about 10 years] and was wondering about the wisdom of spending the extra money to by another one with a gold nib, so I wrote to Sheaffer. This is the answer I was given.

The advantages of the gold nib are primarily aesthetic and ego satisfaction. The only functional differences we can detect are: (1) The gold nib is a little softer and more flexible, a feature which may cause the user to perceive a "smoother feel" and (2) the ink flow is a little freer.Identical construction results in slightly "wetter" writing than with the stainless steel nib. The tipping material...is exactly the same on both so the part touching the paper is the same in each case.

The increased flexibility is, of course, due to the fact that the elastic modulus of gold is about half that of iron, and alloying does not have a great impact on elastic modulus of gold alloys or stainless steels. Some of you engineers may remember this from your "strength of materials" courses. The idea that this increased flexibility would be "perceived as a smoother feel" was a new thought for me. The "wetter writing" of the gold nib probably has to do with the surface properties of the gold alloy, and if I had to guess I would offer the suggestion that it had to do with the protective oxides that inhibit corrosion in stainless steel. Gold is the only element that does not oxidize, and the alloying elements in nibs [probably copper and nickel] may not significantly affect the surface properties of gold. The surface tension is probably less for the ink on the gold than it is on the stainless steel and so flows more easily.

This is not going to be a decision-maker for anybody when purchasing a fountain pen, but I thought it to be a worthy addition to the discussion.

Great info. Thanks

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting information, thanks for sharing. Somehow, I am not able to download/open the pdf scan of the letter, has anyone the images of it?

Thanks!

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I hope this helps, Hari. I just copied the .pdf and this is what came out:

Sheaffer Pen

301 Avenue H
Fort Madison, Iowa 52627 319/372-3300
Twx: 510-331-7137

June 30, I982

Sheaffer Eaton Division of Textron Inc.

Dr. Bob Nevmian
hl.2 Eays Road
Stone Mountain, Georgia 3OO83

SHEAFFER EATON

Dear Dr. Newman:
Our Customer Service Correspondent asked me to supply thetechnical informa-

tionwhichyourequestedinyourletterofJune 25.

The advantages of the gold nib are primarily aesthetic and ego satisfaction. Theonlyfunctionaldifferenceswhichwecandetectare: (l)Thegoldnib is a l i t t l e s o f t e r a n d m o r e f l e x i b l e , a f e a t u r e w h i c h m a y c a u s e t h e u s e r t o perceivea"smootherfeel"and(2) theinkflowisalittlefreer. Identical construction results inslightly "wetter" writing than with thestainless steelnib. Thetippingmaterial(whichisthesmallballweldedontheend)

is e x a c t l y t h e s a m e o n b o t h s o t h e p a r t t o u c h i n g t h e p a p e r i s t h e s a m e i n each case.

The barrel forthe1003 isbrass^coated withmatte-finishbaked epoxy lacquer. The heavierweight oftheIOO3comparedtothe1001iscausedbytheuseof
a brass plug inthecap ornament tofacilitate gold plating instead of the plastic-aluminum combinations used inthe1001. Whether theadded weight anddifferenceinbalanceisanadvantageordisadvantage isanindividual judgement.

Comparing Triumph and Targa on a functional basis only, I believe they are equal. Thequalityofmaterialsandworkmanship,theinspectionstandards and allprocess specifications are on an equal level. Therefore, the question o f which i s best comes down t o feel, balance, appearance, relative cost,etc.

I am not familiar with the Pelikan Special inks which you mention, although I have used Pelikan Fount India ink(avery dense black). As long asyou are careful toprevent complete dryout ofthepen andwash itout completely with warm water every month or so when refilling it, you should not have any

Dr. BobNewman

June 30, 1982 -2-

difficulty with these inks. True India inks are nearly waterproof when dryandarehardtogetoutofthepoint. Theytendtogumuptheflow channels. Further, a technical inkistailoredforsomewhat different flow characteristics, so you should be quite cautious at first t o make sure that thepenwill notflood. Incidentally,ourpens comeequipped with a converter which permits filling from a bottle.

I believe youwould be pleased with ourgetblack inkwhich is available either incartridges or 2 ounce bottle. Ourblue inkmay notbe opaque enough tosuite, even though we have hadgood market success with it for over twenty years.

I hope this will help you make a decision youwill be happy with. I f not, let me know.

NGD:DS

Sincerely, SHEAFFER EATON

Norman G. Dodson, Manager Product Development

Edited by Frank C

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Thank you, this is useful for someone like me who is thinking about expanding from steel nibs. I've read the discussions here on FPN from a user's perspective but it is nice to know the details from a manufacturer.