Why Do You Like The Parker 51?

Tack

I like the Parker 51 for one very important reason. My father who passed many years ago always used his Parker 51. I inherited the pen and every time I use it I think of my dad. That's why I love the 51.

I can think of no better reason.

Peter

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• pajaro

• mhosea

• Manalto

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 on what Matlock said.

You're so lucky to have a family heirloom like that. My parents never used anything but ballpoints, in my recollection, even though they grew up back during the Depression. I don't know what my dad thought one way or the other, but my mother was firmly of the opinion that fountain pens were not worth the trouble and mess. Of course she probably had to deal with junker pens (my grandfather on that side was a coal miner; my other grandfather was a professional musician who was out of work for 4 years, because most of the people in the business he knew went out to Hollywood but he didn't want to leave NYC). I doubt either of my parents ever had decent pens, and certainly not something of the caliber of a Parker -- let alone a 51.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

my grandfather on that side was a coal miner

Oh my, "A Coal Miner's Granddaughter"

Pretty good, Charles Rice.

I am again today carrying my Lustraloy/midnight blue 51, just like the one my dad had. I bought mine new forty five years ago, and it still works perfectly and looks good. So, I like it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Pretty good, Charles Rice.

I am again today carrying my Lustraloy/midnight blue 51, just like the one my dad had. I bought mine new forty five years ago, and it still works perfectly and looks good. So, I like it.

The one your dad said it was his when he somehow misplaced his? Jar , how did you make him believe you have not stolen his and that it was yours and not his?

Khan M. Ilyas

With the popularity of these, I've never really understood why Parker have not re-issued it?

Surely it would sell like hot cakes and be a good business move?

With the popularity of these, I've never really understood why Parker have not re-issued it?

Surely it would sell like hot cakes and be a good business move?

It's a good question. I wonder how much they would cost if they were made to the standards of the originals. How much would you (y'all) be willing to pay for a re-issue, good-quality 51? Which cap and barrel would you prefer?

Edited by Manalto

James

Hard to say how much I'd pay, but if it were made to a high quality then I'd be happy to pay £50 +..?

It's a good question. I wonder how much they would cost if they were made to the standards of the originals. How much would you (y'all) be willing to pay for a re-issue, good-quality 51? Which cap and barrel would you prefer?

I would pay $200-250 for a reissued 51 of the same old quality but not for a Chinese made. I would preffer the flighter finish as well as the first year aerometric with gold cap , long arow clip in forest green/plum colors.

Khan M. Ilyas

Shall we send a petition to Parker?.........

Nothing to lose. Newell Rubbermaid in Atlanta is the parent company.

James

Not to be stick in the mud, but unless the supply of vintage 51's dries up, I'd only pay around $100 or so for a new one that was as good as the currently available ones, and to sell it for that price, they'd have to cost reduce it to the point where I wouldn't want it at all.

I assume you are all aware of the SE they made in 2002.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Forrest green and plum colors? I wonder what the chance would be that N-R would be able to make the same plum and forest green. Probably minimal. A resurected Parker 51 would probably come out today as a C/C pen. Maybe N-R could make a pen that writes as well as the Waterman Carene.

The supply of vintage 51s on the market is the biggest show stopper for a new 51 manufacture. The original 51 is already better than a Carene. It's better than almost all the other pens. So, why pay big money for something that might not be as good as the original?

I have bought some junky 51s on ebay that turned out to be better pens than most every newer model of pen I have tried. Then I got new shells, barrels and caps from sources like Ariel Kullock to make them look good as new.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

I assume you are all aware of the SE they made in 2002.

That tells us they they were capable of reproducing (albeit, not faithfully) the "51" as recently as 13 years ago. I think the repros are beautiful with their Empire caps, but can't comment on their function, as I've never tried one.

James

That tells us they they were capable of reproducing (albeit, not faithfully) the "51" as recently as 13 years ago. I think the repros are beautiful with their Empire caps, but can't comment on their function, as I've never tried one.

It can be said that it looked like a 51. You could buy a real 51 for less.

It can be said that it looked like a 51. You could buy a real 51 for less.

You could by four of them for less.

James

Not a bad pen but more akin to a Sonnet than a 51. Not in the same league as a "real" 51. I have three including one of the early run that suffered from barrel cracking.

Peter

Very interesting review Richard, as much for the questions it raises as the typical thorough detail you put into your reviews.

Just who is a '51' homage aimed at? What kind of use will it be put to? Not easy to answer... I do feel that making the hooded section from metal was a clever move, in terms of being the strongest, price feasable option in a modern production setting.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review