Why Do You Like The Parker 51?

Tack

Sorry if this has been covered before, but please bear with me.

Only recently started to look closely at / collect fountain pens. Their design; filling mechanism; rarity etc.

Without a doubt - at least where I've looked - the Parker 51 is one of the most talked about, appreciated and lusted after (to a degree) pen that I have seen reviewed. People talk about their love and appreciation of this pen!

Probably goes without saying, but I have yet to see one in the 'flesh' let alone write with one.

So what is it that you like? Is it the design. Is it the feel? The affordable collectibility with all the different styles? Its restorability? Is it just a blinking good pen to use?!

Based purely on all the reviews (formal and otherwise) I am very keen to try/buy one but am asking myself...why is it so popular?

Thanks for your thoughts.

<p>Tack</p><p>Australia</p><p> </p><p><span style="font-family:verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"><em>Never confuse legibility with eligibility....</em></span>

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• pajaro

• mhosea

• Manalto

Top Posters In This Topic

Only a few fountain pens have an entire book dedicated to the research, development, marketing, engineering, sales, and styles of a single fountain pen. The development of a special ink for the Parker "51," the use of new materials, and the streamlined design make this a pen an engineering fascination. For many eyes, the pen is beautiful. The colors, the cap designs, and the sleek lines give the pen a timeless and iconic look.

But the Parker "51" is a user's pen. The pen is durable, reliable, rugged, balanced, and light. Designed for a corrosive ink, the pen writes wonderfully with fountain pen inks. The large collector keeps a constant flow of ink going, even when the cap has been left off for some time. The hooded nib provides a degree of protection from careless use, but that same nib provides a great feel to any paper. The materials of the pen make it resistant to damage from everyday use.

This pen may also have historical references for users, their parents, or their grandparents as the "51" requires very little maintenance and just writes for decades. Many have an emotional attachment or a historical curiosity with these pieces of history.

If you are looking for a pen that is perfect to swap inks or clean, the "51" is not for you! But if you have a favorite or dedicated ink for your pen, the "51" has few equals.

I always have at least one "51" in my every day carry bag. My wife keeps a "51" in her two pen case in her purse. This week looks like I'll have 3 "51s" in rotation: a Plum, a Flighter, and a regular aero.

Buzz

All that Buzz says is spot on, but for me, I just like the idea of it. Something that was made for so long in such vast numbers, is still an icon 45 years after it was last made and is as useful now as it was then just appeals to me.

Mario

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

The P51 isn't, to me, very good looking. BUT it is supremely competent at it's job. Use one as your only pen for a month, then put it away. I can almost guarantee you'll miss it. Lots. That is the mark of a really good pen.

I grew up using the more slender & attractive P61, but it doesn't stop me from liking the P51. Especially my only P51 with a P61 nib in it...

Regards,

Richard

I've had one since the late 60s. It is my least favorite pen.

I have a 51 Special with a gold nib. It’s reliable, unobtrusive and still modern. I like its iconic status and that it inspired other interesting pens.
I actually prefer my 61 (grew up using one - sadly not this one), which feels sleeker and more elegant.

However, because the 51 seems more robust - something about the materials and the way the cap engages the clutch ring? - it’s the one I’m more likely to carry.

As Buzz wrote, it's a great user pen, well built and very reliable. The design is good too but most importantly through advertising and by reputation it managed to become one of the iconic fountain pens. How many other models can claim the same?

I suppose there must be a reason P51 is the favorite pen of Richard Binder, Greg Minuskin and Tony Fischier.
http://www.bestfountainpen.com/fountain-pen-experts/
However the only way to know for sure if you like it is to get one and try it out. Personally I am a fan of them and I especially like the aerometrics. They are the most understated and minimalist in appearance of the P51 family but at the same time very ergonomic. If you are looking for a showy pen to demonstrate to the world you've got a fountain pen, the aerometric is not going to work as most people will think you are using a ballpoint. But if you don't care about that and just want a durable workhorse that can give you smooth and consistent writing day in and day out for many years, this pen is for you.

Edited by cellmatrix

I just got my very first Parker 51 from a member here this Friday. It was the second fountain pen I purchased at the same time as a Pelikan M805. Oddly enough I like the way the 51 writes more, not even sure why. But boy do I love it. The Pelikan is super nice, and a quite a beautiful pen, however the Parker just feels better to me. A big surprise since the 805 cost considerably more.

I know for a fact there will be several more 51's in my immediate future, at the time of this writing "collecting" them has no interest with me. However that could easily change. I love to draw, although I'm not any good at it. Love to write as well, although I never have much to write ironically.

All I can say is my first writing experience with the 51, has impressed me in every way.

For me, the 51 was the first vintage pen I could wrap my head around the idea of spending money on (Snorkels were much cheaper a few years ago, I think that was my first vintage pen), because they're generally very strong overengineered pens that won't delaminate or degrade or warp or crack.

I was thinking about the doldrums Parker is in, and how 51 reboots haven't been terrifically successful. A modern pen just can't be made to the same standard affordably.

I reckon Parker would do far better to release a new version of the 61, in an attractive, fresh range of colours and finishes. The design lends itself more readily to modern production methods, and there'd be additional appeal over the buying a vintage 61 what with the injection moulded hoods having only factory miles.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

Perhaps, since I'm awaiting shipment of my Vac Demi, I'm not entirely qualified to comment, but I have been using some of the Hero pens for years and long lusted after an original.

For me, I'm one of those who does admire the look of this pen. I like minimalist things. And as a student of architecture, I can tell you firsthand that minimalism is surprisingly difficult to achieve. How do you pare something down to its elements and still retain functionality? Or more challenging, how do you do so without looking unfinished, or missing?

Under the hood (figuratively and literally) its a marvel of clever engineering, from the novel feed/collector system to the different filling mechanisms. It's all very impressive, and even more so that it's packaged in a way that it's all invisible to the end user yet still fully functional.

There are plenty of pens out there that showcase their quality of construction or their fountain-pen-ness, and plenty of beautifully simple eyedropper pens, but there's something very impressive about all that technology and engineering being packed into a simple acrylic tube. No threads, no levers or (prominent) blind caps, no stepped section. I'm reminded of the simplicity of the iPhone and how it took the not-particularly-new smartphone concept and pared it down to a touchscreen and four buttons.

10 years on PFN! I feel old, but not as old as my pens.

Inked up: Wing Sung 618 - BSB / PFM III - Kiri-same / Namiki Falcon - Storia Fire / Lamy 2000 - Fuyu-gaki / Sheaffer Triumph - Eclat de Saphir

Why does anyone like any pen?

Does it write well? Does it feel good in the hand? Is it robust, does it have a great filling system? Does it hold a lot of ink? Is it reliable? Is it easy to service and clean, is it obtainable and is it pretty and come in all different colors and trims?

For me it hits all the buttons. If you need flex or hate hooded nibs then the 51 is not for you.

If you don't need any flex but need a good reliable workhorse pen for getting stuff done day in and day out on the job, with a lot of ink and good cap off time then the P51 is a great pen.

The whole hooded nib feed collector set just means it always ready to go. Added bonus is that the pen always seems have ink in it as even when the ink sac is empty you have a long way to go till the collector is completely dry.

It is a good no-nonsense get-some-work-done reliable pen that also happens to have a lot of charm (imo).

I love both filling systems and my black Aero with Gold Filled Cap is one of my very favorite all time pens.

My dream is to have a double jewel 51, which has so far eluded me. Those are so handsome.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

For me, the 51 was the first vintage pen I could wrap my head around the idea of spending money on (Snorkels were much cheaper a few years ago, I think that was my first vintage pen), because they're generally very strong overengineered pens that won't delaminate or degrade or warp or crack.

I was thinking about the doldrums Parker is in, and how 51 reboots haven't been terrifically successful. A modern pen just can't be made to the same standard affordably.

I reckon Parker would do far better to release a new version of the 61, in an attractive, fresh range of colours and finishes. The design lends itself more readily to modern production methods, and there'd be additional appeal over the buying a vintage 61 what with the injection moulded hoods having only factory miles.

Love the idea of a 61 reissue. :thumbup:

Pretty much echoing what other people have already said. How many other pens out there had an entire side market of selling just the caps -- so people could have one clipped to their shirt pocket to make other people think they could afford one?

My 51s are amongst my favorite pens, especially the demi Aero Plummer: that pen dates to the 1st quarter of 1949, and needed literally no maintenance or repairs when I got it, other than a good flushing out. It's a comfortable pen to hold and write with. The hood makes for a smooth transition between the barrel and the nib without any sort of step or sharp threading, and the pen is a nice weight and balance, even when posted. The hood makes for a understated, streamlined, contemporary look (you wouldn't know the pen is that old from the look because it's sort of a timeless design), but is functional, not just an aesthetic design. In fact, everything about the design of 51 has a function -- it's not just bling for the sake of bling). And those Aerometrics just write and write and write. They're iconic for a reason. It's the perfect blend of form and function and just stellar industrial design. Which is the reason I would never buy a Kulloch fantasy 51 (sorry, Ariel) -- they're mostly too over the top for me. I tend to gravitate towards more classic design rather than "fashion" just in general.

The only downsides for some people is that the nibs are nails, and that some people just prefer the look of open nibs.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Two of my Kullock fantasy pens are "replicas" of original Parker 51 colors (mustard & transparent) I also admit to purchasing an orange colored body because I prefer it to the uninteresting colors of the 51's I have purchased. I am more interested in having a broad nib than an original body color. Between black, cordovan & grey I would rather have orange. Mine wouldn't represent any original models as I have changed the caps, bodies & nibs to suit myself. Can't see how this is any different than persons having a factory nib "modified" by a professional. I get to enjoy the best of the original design with the enhanced changes that are almost like more recent "editions" of the pen. I would wonder what would happen if Mr. Kullock introduced a PLUM replacement body?

Thanks a lot ladies and gentlemen! A comprehensive - and informative explanation for your appreciation of this pen. Definitely need to get one myself and see if it "works" for me. Reality is - given my location and the cost of shipping (Australia) - It is just about cheaper to but a good quality fully restored one from a reputable dealer here (around Aus$140 local...approx US$105) than to take a chance on eBay.... which is a pity as I rather fancy going down the repair and restoration route. Of course, I may still find some at a garage sale or a thrift store.

Thanks again for all the input.

<p>Tack</p><p>Australia</p><p> </p><p><span style="font-family:verdana, geneva, sans-serif;"><em>Never confuse legibility with eligibility....</em></span>

Everyone, who could afford a Parker 51, had one. Roosevelt, DeGaul,

Churchill, Eisenhower, my Dad. As many as fifty million were made.

Imagine still working great after fifty years ! The Aerometric system looks

like any other "squeeze" filler mechanism, from the outside, but it is not.

Tip it nib-down, and the nib is wet and ready to write. Tip it nib-up, and he ink

immediately drains into the reservoir. What a great feature for airline travel !

I have four and would like more. On second thought, don't get one. They ain't so good. :lticaptd:

(more for me.)

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Two of my Kullock fantasy pens are "replicas" of original Parker 51 colors (mustard & transparent) I also admit to purchasing an orange colored body because I prefer it to the uninteresting colors of the 51's I have purchased. I am more interested in having a broad nib than an original body color. Between black, cordovan & grey I would rather have orange. Mine wouldn't represent any original models as I have changed the caps, bodies & nibs to suit myself. Can't see how this is any different than persons having a factory nib "modified" by a professional. I get to enjoy the best of the original design with the enhanced changes that are almost like more recent "editions" of the pen. I would wonder what would happen if Mr. Kullock introduced a PLUM replacement body?

There might very likely be a stampede of people waving their money in his face going "Me first, me first!" :lol:

Yeah, I can sort of understand why you would want a brighter color than black or grey (I was somewhat lucky in that the first one I managed to score was Teal, which is a nice cheery color).

Ruth Morrisson aka instainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I have two teal (gold caps) , one blood red (gold cap) , one forest green , one burgundy , one black and tow navy grey arometric 51s.And , I am still after them. Whatever color they might be. To me it doesnt matter. A plum would be nice but I am not running after it. Let it come my way by chance and not by deaign.

Khan M. Ilyas