Opinions on the Waterman Charleston?

Apollo

I've been considering the purchase of a Waterman Charleston in ivory with gold trim, but I'd like to hear any opinions/reviews on this particular pen from Charleston owners. Anyone have any experience with it?

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apollo

• Leslie J.

• wimg

• KCkc

Top Posters In This Topic

This pen is on the top of my to-buy list, but they are not sold in Brazil. I haven´t any experience with it, but there was a review published in Stylophiles online, in January 2002. Perhaps it is still available ...

The review was mostly favorable, anyway; as far as I can remember, they only complained the nib was rather small for the size of the pen.

I have the Charleston in dark blue, and it is nice looking and reliable. I'm not that fond of the pen because of the weight of it, heavier than a Phileas. The nib is good, flow is good, in general nothing to complain about really.

Never lie to your dog.

Rique: Thanks. I checked Stylophiles, but their reviews don't go back that far. You say they where of the opinion that the nib was small? I can't imagine the Charleston being thicker than the Phileas, but I've never seen a side by side comparison.

Leslie J: Dark blue Charleston, eh? Must look very nice. Did you opt for a fine or medium nib?

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

I don't have both pens with me right now, but I wouldn't say the charleston is bigger than the phileas, it is heavier though. I opted for a F nib. It does look very nice to have the blue with all silver trim and nib.

Never lie to your dog.

Hi, Apollo!

Yes, the only fault the reviewer (Mike Stevens) could find with the pen was the size of the nib. He even experimented with putting two photos side by side, one of them showing the pen as it is, and the other showing the pen with a Phileas nib (much bigger) grafted to it by means of photo editing. He thinks the bigger nib suits the pen better. I haven´t actually examined the pen (only seen it on the web, or in shop windows), so I don´t know. Anyway, if I found a ivory Charleston around, I´d grab it...

regards,

Rique

I agree about the nib Rique. I finally looked at them side by side and the Charleston nib is literally half the size of the Phileas nib. I like bigger nibs, and it throws off the look of the Charleston. Also, the bodies are close to the exact same size, and it may just be my own perception that the Charleston is heavier. It's not lightweight, although it is not a big pen either.

Never lie to your dog.

Thank you Leslie & Rique. That gives me a better idea of what to expect. :)

[deleted, my own senior moment]

I reiterate my displeasure with the FINE nib Charleston. It took 4 trips of repair and final surgery of widening the feed channel to get a decent flow.

I have had bad experiences with modern Waterman. The only exception is the Carene.

I know a lot of other people have great experiences, but I would like to caution you that things do happen and I am one of the Waterman-incompatiable buyer (2 bad out of 3 Watermans so far)

Edited by KCkc

I posted the first reply to this thread yesterday and it was deleted somehow.

Thanks for the info KC. Your post wasn't deleted. I posted a similar review request on RSFPC where you replied. ;)

OOPS, my mistake.

The boards all look the same after a while, thanks for the clarification. I will edit my reply accordigly. Thanks.

I was concerned KC, as we definitely do not delete posts here unless there is a very good reason, lots of discussion, and voting. :huh: I'm glad the situation was clarified.

It's too bad your experiences with WM have been negative. I admit I'm not fond of the Charleston nib, but at least mine works well. ;)

Never lie to your dog.

Leslie,

It was my mistake and I was on the other board which looks very similar and the post almost identical.

Hence in my confusion, I thought my reply was deleted.

My apologies to the moderators.

Thanks,

KCkc

Hi KCkc,

Sorry to hear about your Waterman problems.

Of the 30 or so I had in my possession over the last 2 years, just one had a problem, with a misshapen nipple (a little too thin, thus causing ink to leak around the collar of the cartridge). I went back to the shop next day, and it was exchanged, no questions asked. Oh, that was the cheapest Waterman available here (of which I bought a considerable number in order to convert people towards fps :D), so I guess that could happen occasionally.

Other than that, I am very pleased with my Watermans, especially the Edson, which in a way is the bigger brother of the Carène.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

:D I LOVE my bright yellow Charleston with broad nib. :D Haven't a single complaint. Comparatively, it is heavier than my Phileas Demonstrator. About the same or perhaps a bit lighter weight than my Expert II. Nib size looks good to me visually, as the pen is broadest in the center and tapers at each end. I'd think a larger nib would not flow as smoothly in the looks dept. I've never had any trouble with ink flow, and though I more often use the Expert because I prefer the fine line, when writing to my mother I use the Charleston because I think it may be easier for her to read the thicker line.

Ah, but I'm awaiting delivery of an XF Carene, and am thinking that one will take over as #1 writer.

I have an ivory Waterman Charleston. It's a beauty and a great writer. No problems at all.

I've been selling a lot of pens lately and so far this one is still on my "keeper" list.

Karin :D

Fountain Pen Abundance

Well, the Charleston has finally made it into my hands. It's absolutely fantastic! I went for the Ivory GT model with a medium nib and it is everything I expected. It's a very classy pen. Compared to the Phileas, the nib on the Charleston does look small but it doesn't look out of place. Not being the type to waste any ink, I'm using the cartridge that came supplied with the pen and it writes really smooth. I'll post my impressions of the pen later, but so far it looks like a keeper to me. :)

Edited by Apollo

Hi Apollo,

Congratulations!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Well, I've been using the Charleston exclusively for the past 2 days and I haven't experienced any flow problems like KC did, although mine has a medium nib instead of a fine nib. It's interesting how different "medium" nibs on various brands write. Anyway, this pen has alot of charm. By the way, does anyone have any pics or perhaps a link that shows examples on how a "fine" nib (by Waterman standards) writes compared to medium nibs from Parker, Pelikan, Sheaffer, etc?

• 7 months later...

I love my Charlston. It has become my workhorse pen. It writes smooth and flows nicely. I have never had any problem with this pen... now my phileas... don't even get me started on that one... I can't get that pen to work for anything... skips, scratchy, wouldn't buy another one of those again.