M200

jma97

Just discovered the Pelikan brand and I'm thinking of getting an M200 as a starting pen from the brand, does anyone have anything to say on the pen, such as size, as I gather it's small but not too small for an average hand to use? Also, what does the Edelstein Topaz ink look like when being used as the pictures I've seen have shown inconsistent shades of blue to each other

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jma97

• Pjotr

• benincanada

• zuhandensein

M200 is great. I have two, use one at work every day, alongside a VP and L2K. It's a good size, not too small. Only problem is you will soon need another Pelikan, and after that another... Pretty soon you have a pen & nib collection ...

M200 is great. I have two, use one at work every day, alongside a VP and L2K. It's a good size, not too small. Only problem is you will soon need another Pelikan, and after that another... Pretty soon you have a pen & nib collection ...

Need another as in because they've broken or because they're addictive? Hope it's the latter!

Addictive.

Have 2 M205's and a M150 and a 120 Merz & Krell. First purchase? 120 & one M205..

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

The M2xx fountain pens (and the identically sized M4xx and M7xx) are by far my favorite pens. Just be careful, they have a way of reproducing in great numbers when left in the dark.

Addictive.

Have 2 M205's and a M150 and a 120 Merz & Krell. First purchase? 120 & one M205..

This won't be my first fountain pen, but it'll be the first 'upmarket' one I've bought

The M2xx fountain pens (and the identically sized M4xx and M7xx) are by far my favorite pens. Just be careful, they have a way of reproducing in great numbers when left in the dark.

Don't see this as a problem if I like it! haha

Don't see this as a problem if I like it! haha

Your wallet may see it as a problem.

Pelikans are designed to write with the cap posted.

If you like your 200. you can easily add nibs - the M400 nibs fit and if you want to try a vintage 400, the nib will also fit. This means you can effectively use the same body with a host of other nibs.

Because the nib unscrews, cleaning the pen is easy.

This won't be my first fountain pen, but it'll be the first 'upmarket' one I've bought

they were first Pelikans, I had other pens... Two one transaction within 6 months or so I had four.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I have very large hands yet I still love all of my 200s.

The M200 is my favorite pen. Great size. Perfectly balanced when posted. Holds a good bit of ink. It's the pen that got me started down the Pelikan path so heed the warnings of those who posted before me. One M205 turned into 54 M2xx pens seemingly overnight. They are prolific breeders.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

It is correct what everyone above said about Pelikans multiplying. Unless it won't strain your pocketbook, make sure to pick up some prophylactics along with your initial purchase. ;)

I picked up my first M205 last year, and then it reproduced into 4 more M20x pens shortly afterward!!

Everyone should be respected as an individual, but no one idolized. -- Albert Einstein

I've just bought an M200 which, like you, isn't my first fountain pen. Mine's an NOS 1992 model and I don't know if they've changed the nibs since then but mine's a very smooth nib and a bit flexi too. In a desire to compare it to a solid gold nib I've just got a vintage Parker Slimfold which has a 14kt nib. I really can't tell the difference. My hand aren't big in terms of length but they're pretty beefy and I don't find the M200 small at all. And there is no need to post the cap (which I never do anyhow) unless you like your pens to be a bit longer in your hand. Great filling system. Would recommend an M200 to anyone. Nice traditional, no nonsense looking pen. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Edited by Pjotr

jma97, l hope you'll post your initial reactions when it comes

Haven't bought it yet, still looking into it, found the right place and all, probably won't go and get one until about July

My experience is slightly different. I have a Pelikan Cognac and the more I use it the more I like it. It has become an extension of my fingers and I am currently not thinking on buying other pen... But I admit that I feel that reproductive impulse sometimes. And actually, I have two of them (!), keeping the second in the box as a replacement in case something happens to the one I use.

Being a fantastic pen, it does not mean that it does not have its little issues. In my opinion there are two or three that a first time buyer should take into consideration:

— Nib width: it seems that Pelikan nibs tend to be broader than the correlative nibs in other brands (not only Asian ones).

— Some people complain about the section being a bit short and finding the threads a nuissance for their fingers (not in my case).

— Two 'cosmetic' issues: the edge of the cap is likely to produce some wear in the barrel, and you will find that the two mold lines in the section are in most cases very noticeable.

In my opinion these mold lines are the least attractive aspect in the M200. They may add certain character or personality to the pen... but If you dislike them as I do you would probably want to get a pen with these lines on the sides of the section. I have seen many M200 where one of the mold lines is 'on top' of the section, aligned with the nib, being easily visible when you hold the pen for writing.

Having said so, the M200 is a fantastic pen. A real classic, versatile and reliable, discreet but also elegant... On that price range perhaps the Pilot Custom 74 is the only one that I would compare to the M200.

Pelikan M200 Cognac, EF + J. Herbin Perle Noire

Kaweco Sport Brass F (golden nib!) + Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris

My experience is slightly different. I have a Pelikan Cognac and the more I use it the more I like it. It has become an extension of my fingers and I am currently not thinking on buying other pen... But I admit that I feel that reproductive impulse sometimes. And actually, I have two of them (!), keeping the second in the box as a replacement in case something happens to the one I use.

Being a fantastic pen, it does not mean that it does not have its little issues. In my opinion there are two or three that a first time buyer should take into consideration:

— Nib width: it seems that Pelikan nibs tend to be broader than the correlative nibs in other brands (not only Asian ones).

— Some people complain about the section being a bit short and finding the threads a nuissance for their fingers (not in my case).

— Two 'cosmetic' issues: the edge of the cap is likely to produce some wear in the barrel, and you will find that the two mold lines in the section are in most cases very noticeable.

In my opinion these mold lines are the least attractive aspect in the M200. They may add certain character or personality to the pen... but If you dislike them as I do you would probably want to get a pen with these lines on the sides of the section. I have seen many M200 where one of the mold lines is 'on top' of the section, aligned with the nib, being easily visible when you hold the pen for writing.

Having said so, the M200 is a fantastic pen. A real classic, versatile and reliable, discreet but also elegant... On that price range perhaps the Pilot Custom 74 is the only one that I would compare to the M200.

So you don't find it too small in your hands then? Does it need posting?

Not at all. I do not find it small. My hands are not large, anyway, approximately 20 cm from my middle finger to my wrist's wrinkle (fingers themselves of aorund 7-8 cm). I never post it. I found that its size and weight is good for all types of writing. I can enjoy larger/heavier pens for brief notes etc., but when I want to write for long periods of time or carry it out in my pocket I prefer the size and weight of the M200.

Edited by zuhandensein

Pelikan M200 Cognac, EF + J. Herbin Perle Noire

Kaweco Sport Brass F (golden nib!) + Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris