Stipula Passaporto On Massdrop!

dms525

I was tempted to order these on a previous drop, but turned off by the fact that though they *need* to be posted, the caps seemed to come off the end of the pen too easily. (At least in the reviews I'd read and seen). This redesign looks great, though - so I'm in. If only we can find another 93 buyers, to get the lowest price...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• dms525

• mmg122

• catbert

I have the clear one from Giordano, which I ordered at the beginning of the year. I have to say, the 0.9mm stub is a very good nib. Mine was the original design in that it does not have threads at the end of the barrel to secure the cap. Unless you have really small hands, the Passaporto should be used posted.

To be blunt, Stipula nibs can be hit or miss sometimes in that some fiddling may be required to get the desired flow, etc. I've been happy with my Passaporto, and I am tempted to get on this Massdrop for the blue model and the threaded end. The pen is surprisingly tiny, about the same length as a Kaweco, but just about the right length posted. It is comfortable for extended writing, and as an eyedropper, the pen really does have enormous capacity. It will be awhile before you have to refill. The Passaporto is also one of the few eyedropper pens that do not consistently burp, even when the ink is low in the barrel.

I jumped in on this the other day after hemming over it, after all I did vote there to bring this one back.

Really looking forward to the italic nib.

Dang it . . . Dang all of you! I swore not to buy a new pen this year! I already have two Passporto's with F & 0.9mm but neither of them have the threads at the end. And I purposely avoided signing on with Massdrop today after already hitting on two different drops this week. But my resolve is weakening! Dang, Dang, Dang it!

Fair winds and following seas.

Massdrop has some really cool stuff at the moment--the Passporto, a pretty ten pen display, and especially the two books by Andrea Lambrou which I would love to have a look at.

Mine was the original design in that it does not have threads at the end of the barrel to secure the cap.

To clarify... The "original" passaporto had threads on the end of the barrel; the next generation removed those threads; this CURRENT Massdrop sale are passaporto pens that are a remake of the original version with the threaded barrel. I think that Massdrop did have a previous drop of Passaporto pens, but they were not the original ones (i.e. they were second generation, with no barrel threads).

To be blunt, Stipula nibs can be hit or miss sometimes in that some fiddling may be required to get the desired flow, etc.

At one pen posse, quite a few Stipulas were queued to have their nibs tweaked to work. It seemed like no one had gotten a Stipula that worked properly fresh from the factory. Could be hit or miss, but that day was all miss.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

Jonas Heinemann from Massdrop has just put up a comment on the discussion page for this 'campaign', which among other things says:

"We're aware that revised models were not designed and made to the same standards as the original, and we have confidence that the new production of the original design - especially of the grip section - will be more durable than revised models were. As to how it feels in your hand, that's for you to decide. I've been told that some interim models may have been injection-moulded, whereas the original and this reproduction of that design are lathe-turned."

He also highlights the responsiveness of this vendor when it comes to dealing with problems that could be considered warranty issues - and the complaints outlined above would certainly qualify.

Does that mean that the nibs will also be better than the last batch of Passaportos? I don't know - but personally, I'm willing to take a punt on it!

I have the FPN LE and the barrel end is threaded and nib great...excellent pen. I recently purchased a transparent blue one on eBay that I thought had a threaded barrel end (from the pics) and it doesn't. Won't post worth a damn and pen too short (even for my small hands) to write with for any length of time. Can't believe Stipula would produce a second generation that was that useless. They had to know it was unpostable. QC fubar.

That said, I did join this MassDrop for the transparent red with the Italic nib. Since the barrel end is threaded this should work out just fine. I really like my FPN LE which is the original model.

I went back and forth on this one for a few days, but finally pulled the trigger on a Cristallo with the italic nib.

75 more 'buyers' needed to get this across the line at the lowest price - and 4 days to go. I'd really like to see Drop succeed...

Well, I have committed for one red with Italic nib and one clear with medium nib. seems that we are missing a large number of commitments to get to the lower price.

In answers to the discussions here - I do have a very good experience with the medium nib of this pen.

I did use it both with a cartridge and eye dropper. Both worked well and I was rather happy with it.

It should be mentioned though, that on one time when the pen was filled with ink using the eyedropper option - the pen fell on the floor, the barrel broke and all the ink spread around the walls like a surrealistic pain.....

so those using it with an eye dropper, don't let it role from the table. :-)

Thus, the task is not so much to see what no one has seen,

but to think what nobody has yet thought,

about that which everybody sees (Erwin Schrodinger)

I went back and forth too...but I did put an order in IF the lowest price is achieved...

Keeping my fingers crossed..

To clarify... The "original" passaporto had threads on the end of the barrel; the next generation removed those threads; this CURRENT Massdrop sale are passaporto pens that are a remake of the original version with the threaded barrel. I think that Massdrop did have a previous drop of Passaporto pens, but they were not the original ones (i.e. they were second generation, with no barrel threads).

At one pen posse, quite a few Stipulas were queued to have their nibs tweaked to work. It seemed like no one had gotten a Stipula that worked properly fresh from the factory. Could be hit or miss, but that day was all miss.

Thanks for the clarification tenney. I thought the threaded one was the later model. I still like the Passaporto, and the overall build quality and utility of the pen is fine with me. As for the nibs, well, I look at it as 'the price for doing business' with respect to fountain pens in general. No fountain pen brand has consistently been trouble free with respect to the nib unless purchased from a vendor who checks the nib prior to purchase, at least that has been my experience.

For anyone who's still interested, today is the last day to join the drop.

Addendum, the Drop has been extended for another 4 days! You still have time to order one. Currently, 70 more are needed to get the lowest price.

Less than 24 hours to go and still about 50 short of unlocking the lowest price. The second-lowest price would be attainable if more people upgraded from 'Commit to join at $64.99' to 'Buy'. I just did.

come on people - spread the word. 24 hours to go and I really want these pens...:-)

Thus, the task is not so much to see what no one has seen,

but to think what nobody has yet thought,

about that which everybody sees (Erwin Schrodinger)

I pull the trigger on this.. I think I am the #160 that join. :D

I wish Massdrop will lower the drop to 250 instead of 300.

We are currently at 251. I am sure Stipula will rather have a custom order of 250pens @64.99 than 160pens @74.99.
C.
Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,