Stipula Passaporto On Massdrop!

dms525

Stipula had discontinued production of the Passaporto. Massdrop members showed sufficient interest (800 people!) in this model that Stipula agreed to a special run, if enough folks commit. (I have committed to 3, if the lowest price is achieved.)

Note that Stipula will produce the "original" version with steel threads and a threaded end for posting (like the FPN LE). 3 colors and various nibs, including a 0.9mm italic, are available.

Here's a link: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/stipula-passaporto

David

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• dms525

• mmg122

• catbert

Tempted by the italic but had such a bad experience with my 4 stipula vedos that I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. Someone convince me one way or another?

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

Tempted by the italic but had such a bad experience with my 4 stipula vedos that I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. Someone convince me one way or another?

I've heard lots of bad stuff about the Vedo, including that it isn't actually made by Stipula or in Italy, for that matter. I have one of the FPN Passaporto's with a 1.1mm italic nib. It's a smooth writer with excellent line differentiation. I have used it with ink cartridges and as an eye dropper without problems.

BTW, I also have 5 other Stipula FP's, all Etrurias. All great pens.

David

Edited by dms525

I've heard lots of bad stuff about the Vedo, including that it isn't actually made by Stipula or in Italy, for that matter. I have one of the FPN Passaporto's with a 1.1mm italic nib. It's a smooth writer with excellent line differentiation. I have used it with ink cartridges and as an eye dropper without problems.

BTW, I also have 5 other Stipula FP's, all Etrurias. All great pens.

David

Interesting. Did not know the Vedo was not made by Stipula and/or Italy. Ok, I will try an italic!

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

I committed for one italic Cristallo Passaporto. I was going to back for two, I fancy the blue also, but the shipping cost for more than one pen makes no sense to me. It irritated me enough to only commit for one.

I want one of these, but I don't know which nib to get. I'm thinking probably not Fine--I mostly use fine nibs at work, where I have several pens available, and for casual writing I prefer something broader.

Does anyone have opinions on Stipula's Medium and Italic nibs?

Currently in rotation: Wing Sung 698/Diamine Blue Velvet, Wing Sung 618/Diamine Golden Oasis, Lamy Profil 80/Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine

I am debating. I am also waiting (endlessly, it seems) for a TWSBI Vac Mini. This is tempting me, in the 0.9 stub. Blue.

I want one of these, but I don't know which nib to get. I'm thinking probably not Fine--I mostly use fine nibs at work, where I have several pens available, and for casual writing I prefer something broader.

Does anyone have opinions on Stipula's Medium and Italic nibs?

I have no experience with the Medium nib. The Italic nib is a good writer. I use it for italic script. Hang on .... Yup. It's plenty smooth for American cursive writing. Note that using it for cursive, it is like a broad stub. Actually, it would look pretty cool, if my cursive penmanship were better. :unsure:

David

I ordered the clear with an italic. I'd tried one out last year at the Fahrney's sale table but when it wouldn't post I lost interest. So this one with the threads looks excellent.

In for a cristallo/fine.

My wife has a white/0.9 mm italic from Giardino Italiano. It writes a little dry and lacks threads for secure posting, unlike the Massdrop version, but a very nice feel overall.

Edited by catbert

I know they are meant to be small-- but how comfortable is it to write without being posted? I don't like to post my pens.

I know they are meant to be small-- but how comfortable is it to write without being posted? I don't like to post my pens.

It's fine for short notes and general noodling. Possibly challenging for extended writing - haven't tried. I don't like to post either but I think I'd make an exception in this case. We'll see when I get one that posts securely.

Should add that I don't have large hands.

Edited by catbert

I prefer as large a pen as possible. I did however accept the general recommendation that the Pelikan M800 was called the perfect pen for a reason so that is the model I purchased. Likewise I only have a Montblanc 146 & not the 149. I might like the larger ones of each brand but find the ones I have are satisfactory. I am happy to use Kaweco Sports & my Passaporto (all require posting for me.) They were not chosen with the same criteria as these former pens. This is the size they are if to be "pocket" sized pens. I find I am happy with them because they provide something the larger pens do not. Pick the Passaporto for it's characteristics & if you only enjoy "larger" pens you probably are NOT a good candidate for the "pocket pen." I think you would HAVE to post the pen to be able to write more than a few lines. I "could do it" with the Kaweco Sport pens BUT I don't think I could manage with the Passaporto. The Passaporto is the ONLY demonstrator pen I own & I purchased it for that reason. I enjoy using it as an eyedropper/demonstrator but am not interested in "full sized" demonstrator pens. Mine has a stub nib & is a "fun"small pen. Perhaps I don't expect the same things from it as I do other pens because it was purchased "used" & hence was not very expensive.

Thanks. I like "regular" sized pens since I write long and don't post.

Although... it does look nice

Note that Stipula will produce the "original" version with steel threads and a threaded end for posting (like the FPN LE). 3 colors and various nibs, including a 0.9mm italic, are available.

How do you know it's the 0.9mm italic? Doesn't say so on Massdrop's site.

And for those who don't normally post when writing, these are intended to be posted -- the threads on the back end of the barrel are there to fit the threads in the cap.

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

How do you know it's the 0.9mm italic? Doesn't say so on Massdrop's site.

And for those who don't normally post when writing, these are intended to be posted -- the threads on the back end of the barrel are there to fit the threads in the cap.

Before the drop was set up, there were votes on color and on the nib. One of the nibs on which one could vote was a 0.9mm italic. And I also recall from perusing online vendors who carried the Passaporto in recent years, the only italic nib offered was a 0.9mm one.

I think BarkingPig's points in a previous reply are very much to the point. Pocket pens like the Passaporto, the Franklin-Christoph Model 40P and the Kaweco Sport are special purpose pens. While they have some criteria for "goodness" in common with "ordinary" pens, they have other criteria that are unique to their special purpose. One is small size when capped. One way to be small enough to carry comfortably in a pants pocket and still be long enough to write with comfortably is to optimize balance for posting.

I also prefer largish pens like a MB146 or Pelikan M800, but I don't carry those pens in my pants pockets.

David

What a cool little pen! I have been wanting to try some larger pen sizes lately but I love my TWSBI Mini and thought I'd take advantage of the quite fascinating offering by Massdrop! I ordered the clear version and am really excited to try the italic nib I ordered with it!

As a sidenote, and in case anyone is considering ordering one of these but isn't too familiar with Massdrop.com I have had all great experiences with them so far!

I'm an Amazon Prime member so some of the deals are comparable, especially given the free two day shipping with Prime. But with the unique offerings, interactive community, and enjoyable experience of group buying with Massdrop handling all of the details it has been a really great experience so far.

If you're on the fence about the Stipula is encourage you to go for it!

-Dan

One of the things I don't like about eyedroppers is how they blurp when the ink gets low. I like changing colors frequently, and would prefer to be able to write a fill out completely and then change to something new rather than constantly be topping off the ink so it won't blurp.

Is the Passaporto, perhaps, designed not to blurp? (Admittedly the only eyedroppers I've tried have been really cheap ones from India.)

Swanjun...you don't have to use it as an eye dropper. It takes small international cartridges also.