Affordable High End Looking Pens But Not Chinese Knock Offs

unclepoop

After searching this site and the internet I came across some gorgeous pens. I seem to always find nice looking things that turn out to be waaaaaaaay out of my means. Are there pen manufacturers that make pens that look higher end but are for broke af people like myself? Looking over the Nakaya Fountain Pens site I am tempted to sell my organs on the black market so I can get one. I am not looking for knock offs or anything like that. I am just looking for a beautiful pen that doesn't cost me two kidneys, a liver and a leg.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wastelanded

• Bklyn

• unclepoop

• gweimer1

You don't say what your limit is, but I'll assume US$100.

Asapens has some beautiful ebonite pens that won't break the bank, even ones that have JoWo nibs and converters instead of being eyedroppers. If you don't mind eyedropper pens, they're even cheaper.

Indian ebonite pens are beautiful and hand made: I recently got a green swirled one for $12 on ebay. No, there's no urushi finish like Nakayas, but they're beautiful and well-made just the same. Ranga and Ratnamson are other brands you can look up on the 'bay. Yes, the nibs are often dodgy, but you can get a Knox #6 nib from xfountainpens for less than $10, and I can vouch for their smoothness.

Bexley is selling Poseidon Magnum II piston fillers on ebay with auction prices that start at less than a c-note. I got one as the only bidder, and it's very quickly become one of my favourite pens. Their user name is 'bexlevy' on ebay.

I'm sure there are more I can't think of right now, but others will chime in I'm sure.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Sorry, I should have mentioned this is more research for future purchases. So sub $100 even sub $50. Even cheaper if possible.

The Italix Parson's Essential is probably the classiest looking one I have that cost less than £50.

Levenger True Writers are good looking pens that I have found to be serviceable, decent writing pens. Some have been excellent writers, some are just "meh". They write fine, just nothing that excites me to use. But some of the colors are great, ad the pens are sturdy, and you can find them on ebay and pen boards, and sometimes the Levenger Outlet for around $35-$50. Also, TWSBI pens are attractive in a modern way and can be found for around the same price range.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

Assuming a $100 limit, a Platinum 3776 would fit in the price range. Looks quite nice, and is apparently great to use.

"Oh deer."

My favorite low-end pen group is Fountain Pen Revolution, www.fountainpenrevolution.com. Some cheesy, some ebonite with C/C or piston filler, all fairly dependable. The nibs are decent and can be easily replaced as most will accept a # 6 nib. Greatest bonus, in my opinion, is that the feeds are ebonite, for the most part. The 5.5 nibs and feeds they sell are decent enough, not outstanding. But with a little work ...

I like the looks of the Triveni and Triveni Jr. Think they are worth a try. Many of their other pens cost even less and are great workhorse pens. But I know what you mean. Some of the urushi pens take my breath away.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Your best bet are the Indian ebonites. The black and mottled brown ones look grand. Asa, Gama, Ranga all offer Jowo or Schmidt nibs now.

On the chinese front, the Kaigelu 316 is a Duofold lookalike and has got serious praise in these forums.

The best Nakaya lookalike is the Scriptorium Idyll in red. But thats priced way over your limit.

Edited by deepak23

A lifelong FP user...

Assuming a $100 limit, a Platinum 3776 would fit in the price range. Looks quite nice, and is apparently great to use.

+1

If you get it from Japan, you should be within your budget. Looks a lot like the pen with the bird dropping on top (except for the bird dropping ;) )

People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them - Dave Berry

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

Pilot Celemo, Pilot Elite 95S are nice sub 100 pens. Celemo is my current best. Get from Japan for best price. I got them from "e-sell jp" on Ebay.

Have a look at the collection with Peyton Street Pens. nice acrylics, ebonies, vintage pens with quite a few sub 100.

Edited by subbu68

Regards

Subramoniam

I agree with the Levenger True Writer. Nice, stylish pen. Doesn't look cheap.

If you want cheap, but simple and clean, you can look for a Duke 209. I think I paid $5 for mine, and it's a decent pen. Remember that just about any decent nib can be tuned, and mine was good right from the start.

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mqs6V9ByL9EPjMZ8LLMjcjA.jpg

Check out the Pilot Lucina, available on Amazon. About $45.00. Very nice writing and much nicer looking than a Pilot Metropolitan which also writes very well.

Available in 4 colors, will accept the Pilot con-50 converter. Nibs are fine and medium, havn't seen a broad. I recommend a medium nib.

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Asapens has some beautiful ebonite pens that won't break the bank, even ones that have JoWo nibs and converters instead of being eyedroppers. If you don't mind eyedropper pens, they're even cheaper.

Indian ebonite pens are beautiful and hand made: I recently got a green swirled one for $12 on ebay. No, there's no urushi finish like Nakayas, but they're beautiful and well-made just the same. Ranga and Ratnamson are other brands you can look up on the 'bay. Yes, the nibs are often dodgy, but you can get a Knox #6 nib from xfountainpens for less than $10, and I can vouch for their smoothness.

Bexley is selling Poseidon Magnum II piston fillers on ebay with auction prices that start at less than a c-note. I got one as the only bidder, and it's very quickly become one of my favourite pens. Their user name is 'bexlevy' on ebay.

I'm sure there are more I can't think of right now, but others will chime in I'm sure.

Any chance you can tell me which Aspen you bought? I am looking for a large pen, a pen that has some width to it that is not metal and is not plastic. Under $100.00 is doable with $60.00 as a nice round number. does that seem reasonable? Thanks in advance for your time and advice!

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Any chance you can tell me which Aspen you bought? I am looking for a large pen, a pen that has some width to it that is not metal and is not plastic. Under $100.00 is doable with $60.00 as a nice round number. does that seem reasonable? Thanks in advance for your time and advice!

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

And no mentioning of the new generation Conklin Duragraph? That seems to fit your shortlist pretty well.

The Italix Parson's Essential is probably the classiest looking one I have that cost less than £50.

+1.

I've had the Patriot, which is a bit larger than a Lamy Safari, and the Brahmaputra, which is even bigger. Classy looking pens, and they most certainly don't look cheap. I sold both though, as they were too thick and hurt my hand.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Check out the Pilot Lucina, available on Amazon. About $45.00. Very nice writing and much nicer looking than a Pilot Metropolitan which also writes very well.

Available in 4 colors, will accept the Pilot con-50 converter. Nibs are fine and medium, havn't seen a broad. I recommend a medium nib.

Thanks for the tip on the Lucina. It's on my shopping list now.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Sorry, I should have mentioned this is more research for future purchases. So sub $100 even sub $50. Even cheaper if possible.

I think you may have to look at the Chinese pens to get the look you want, at the price you want.

Other alternative is vintage/used pens.

You can find some nice looking tier3 pens for less than $50. Although you likely have to send it out to get it resaced. Though you could get lucky and find a resaced pen for under $50.

Heck I've seen Parker 51s sell for about $50 on eBay. Though they are "user" grade pens, a little worn.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com