Omas.....oh, Mess....snafu.....help(Feeling Very Silly)

Alexcat

..... it's not the pen, it's me: for some reason, which escapes me(aside from having had a habit if disembowelling g pens when I was little, and usually not being able to reassemble them) I took this apart when I got it, and now can't figure out what goes where.

It needed a clean anyway, which I did(just a warm water soak) and I put it together, and got it inked up, and it wrote....but.....the end bit(forgive my lack of technical knowledge - my heads not in a great place right now and it's hard to think straight, so, please....be gentle....I know I've made a right pigs ear/dogs breakfast) the end bit, which you turn to make the piston work, doesn't go all the way back in. And it's very creaky. I didn't want to force it, so, here are some photos, and a plea for help.....

Here's the blurb from whence it came......

"Omas Extra Piston filler with Greek key band. Compact and reliable piston filler; 1990's or possibly earlier, with a smooth and reliable Medium nib gold plated nib that is a joy to use.

The accompanying box has the "Artaxan" company name, suggesting this is a rare model given as a gift to medical practitioners and never sold in shops; however it has the Greek Key band and is otherwise indistinguishable from the classic OMAS Extra."

post-110936-0-39252400-1432798804_thumb.jpgpost-110936-0-83105100-1432798828_thumb.jpgpost-110936-0-39252400-1432798804_thumb.jpgpost-110936-0-83105100-1432798828_thumb.jpg

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alexcat

• deepak23

• fabri00

• Z-Tab

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its a simple arrangement. Insert the piston fully into the barrel. Apply some silicone grease before inserting the piston into the barrel. With the piston in its innermost position (closest to the nib) screw the piston cap clockwise. The piston will get pulled in by the piston cap. In all likelihood while assembling back, the piston was not at its inner most position. Reassemble. Also are you sure there was no ring there which has gone missing?

The nib appears to be pulled out a bit. May be a friction fit that got pushed out by the piston...

Edited by deepak23

A lifelong FP user...

Its a simple arrangement. Insert the piston fully into the barrel. Apply some silicone grease before inserting the piston into the barrel. With the piston in its innermost position (closest to the nib) screw the piston cap clockwise. The piston will get pulled in by the piston cap. In all likelihood while assembling back, the piston was not at its inner most position. Reassemble. Also are you sure there was no ring there which has gone missing?

The nib appears to be pulled out a bit. May be a friction fit that got pushed out by the piston...

There may well be a missing ring....I have managed to drop all the disassembled 'guts' (I know, stupid) and that's a possibility. And the nib was pulled out completely when I cleaned it, so Im sure that's been me not putting it back properly.

I know this sounds a silly question, but the piston does go on with the 'big bit' on the end that meets the nib, am I correct?

Thanks again

Alex

"As many nights endure Without a moon or star So will we endure When one is gone and far "Leonard Cohen, of blessed memory(21/09/1934-7/11/2016)

There may well be a missing ring....I have managed to drop all the disassembled 'guts' (I know, stupid) and that's a possibility. And the nib was pulled out completely when I cleaned it, so Im sure that's been me not putting it back properly.

I know this sounds a silly question, but the piston does go on with the 'big bit' on the end that meets the nib, am I correct?

Thanks again

Alex

Yes it does. While assembling try with the piston touching the section. If the gap persists, start searching for the ring :-)

I am not familiar with this model so cant be sure about the ring...

A lifelong FP user...

Thanks again

Alex

Yes it does. While assembling try with the piston touching the section. If the gap persists, start searching for the ring :-)

I am not familiar with this model so cant be sure about the ring...

Edit - did a google search and I *think* you are missing a ring...

A lifelong FP user...

Dammit.....the likelihood of my finding it is needle in a haystack times a bazillion: Im wondering if either

A. A ring from another pen would do(I have a bunch of bits and pieces and pen guts)

or

B. Can I buy one?

Thanks again for all the help

Alex

If you bought the pen in a shop, try them. Getting spare parts is relatively easy, try any B&M shop.

Omas will do repairs, but remember its an Italian company and their concept of time may be different than yours.

If you have a local pen show, one of the dealers there may be able to help.

..... it's not the pen, it's me: for some reason, which escapes me(aside from having had a habit if disembowelling g pens when I was little, and usually not being able to reassemble them) I took this apart when I got it, and now can't figure out what goes where.

It needed a clean anyway, which I did(just a warm water soak) and I put it together, and got it inked up, and it wrote....but.....the end bit(forgive my lack of technical knowledge - my heads not in a great place right now and it's hard to think straight, so, please....be gentle....I know I've made a right pigs ear/dogs breakfast) the end bit, which you turn to make the piston work, doesn't go all the way back in. And it's very creaky. I didn't want to force it, so, here are some photos, and a plea for help.....

Here's the blurb from whence it came......

"Omas Extra Piston filler with Greek key band. Compact and reliable piston filler; 1990's or possibly earlier, with a smooth and reliable Medium nib gold plated nib that is a joy to use.

The accompanying box has the*_ "Artaxan" company name, suggesting this is a rare model given as a gift to medical practitioners and never sold in shops; however it has the Greek Key band and is otherwise indistinguishable from the classic OMAS Extra."_*

*_ It is a Omas 620 student pen..which is not even medium rare or well done.....

{freakinhappysmileyfacetimethingie}....follow for catalog photos....

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/223550-unknown-omas/?p=2376826

Fred