The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Conklin Duragraph In Amber

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 Feanaaro

Feanaaro

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:12

Many thanks for this review since the green model has been on my wish list for some time now... and being a *newbie-newbie* (so newbie that this is even my first FPN post) that's really saying something! You've given me much to consider since I lean more toward glide than tooth but as was mentioned that can be a resolved with some of the fine tuning with which I'm becoming acquainted. Then again, given my leanings toward stub nibs might there be a good chance that toothiness would be a moot point anyway?

Not all of their nib are toothy/scratchy, some are actually pretty smooth. If anything, the issue is that the QC is not 100% perfect, so there are relevant differences between one nib and another. But at this price for this pen it is more than acceptable, in my opinion.

I much prefer the green over any other color of this pen.

Sponsored Content

#22 Shubhranshu Das

Shubhranshu Das

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2015 - 18:18

Hi

Nice review and thanks for taking the time and effort to share it with us.

I have the Jade Green and Cracked Ice versions, both with the 1.1 stub... I am partial to stubs... The Cracked Ice version came with a black coated nib and had flow problems... Used the micro mesh and a brass shiv to correct it and it works better... It's still more temperamental with inks and works far better with the wetter inks...

I'm going for a 3rd.... The Blue Ice version from Goulet... The first two were purchased from them too... Again with a stub nib...

The Conklin overall shape, size, weight appeals to me ... Version that you have will have to wait... The TWSBI stubs are really nice and so is the Goulet stub...

Overall for the price the Conklin Duragraph is a great pen to use on a daily basis.. Definitely recommend it.

Regards,

#23 dasXFnib

dasXFnib

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2015 - 19:28

Just snagged one of these from Pen Chalet....had to go with the F nib -- no EF..... :crybaby:

Waiting on ink....going with Diamine Autumn Oak.....IMHO, a PERFECT aesthetic match!!

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

#24 DJ1953

DJ1953

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 March 2016 - 18:49

Just received this Duragraph in Ice Blue - looks and feels so nice !IMG_2203.JPG

Edited by DJ1953, 01 March 2016 - 18:49.

#25 tin2smart

tin2smart

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:40

Does anyone know the material of the clip and the band around the cap? Is it stainless steel because I afraid it might get rust over time. 

#26 DrPenfection

DrPenfection

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:05

Great review! I also have a Duragraph - in Cracked Ice. Mine has a stub nib that is very nice.

Best always,

Deborah (aka DrPenfection)

#27 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:27

This is a splendid review.  I bought one of these this week.  It arrived yesterday, I immediately inked it with Visconti Blue, it wrote right out of the box, I had gotten a nib with some tooth, and I forsook all my other pens for the next 24 hours.  I agree with the OP on nearly every point.  But I do have a few things to add.

CLIP.  This thing really is tight—at first, that is.  From the moment I inked this pen I decided it would have to be in the EDC rotation or else it might not get much use.  But I figured getting that clip to cooperate might be like breaking a bucking bronco to make it saddle-ready.  And the first several times I clipped the pen to my shirt pocket, it was a two-handed operation: I would hold the cap in my left hand, make a wish, pry the clip away with my right thumbnail and forefinger, and then slide the whole thing down onto my pocket.  But today I'm happy to report that the clip has loosened to the point at which clipping the pen to my pocket and removing it are both one-handed operations.  In the removal, I grab the end of the cap and pull, just like my other pens, and the clip slides right off the pocket.

CAP/POSTING.

fpn_1463198539__img_1230w.jpg

fpn_1463201532__img_1233w3.jpg

The cap weighs 14 g; so do all the other pen parts combined, including a full converter.  Unposted, the pen is well-balanced, the center of gravity slightly forward toward the section, which is where I like it.  But when I post the cap the center of gravity shifts all the way to the back finial where the cap and finial overlap.  This makes for an awkward writing experience—at first, that is.  I've spent quite a lot of time in the last 24 hours writing with the cap posted.  I don't normally post my caps, but it's nice to know that I may post if I want to, and I usually want to when I'm writing on the go (e.g., adding items to my shopping list while in the grocery store).  And it didn't take me all that long to adjust to the elongated, unbalanced Duragraph during short bursts of writing.  Writing with the cap posted wasn't as awkward as I assumed it would be.

THREADS.  I found the male threads on my pen to be noticeably prickly, though not quite sharp.  Nevertheless, a full day's worth of pen openings and closings smoothed the barbs off the threads.  Now when my hand unconsciously migrates up the pen from the grip, I don't even notice the event.

NIB.  When I pull the pen out of my pocket and get a glimpse of it, I feel a smile come on.  And then I uncap the pen, see the nib, and the smile vanishes.  It isn't an ugly nib; but in its appearance it doesn't deliver on the promise made by the striated, semi-translucent amber resin.  Visually, it isn't worthy.  However, it is a decent performer: as I said, it wrote straight out of the box.  It did dry-start on the first upstroke, but after a couple of passes with a .002" brass shim through the tines, it hasn't dry-started or skipped.  And, like the OP, I'm enamored with the tooth.  All my other pens have smooth nibs, and the tooth on this nib is a new toy to play with.  Eventually, probably, I'll swap this nib for a Goulet/JoWo two-toned or black one.  And then I'll have to find a way to replace that missing tooth.

Edited by Bookman, 14 May 2016 - 11:32.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

fpn_1509066385__untitled-1.jpg

#28 jimrie

jimrie

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 June 2016 - 22:54

Agree with your review. I have the cracked ice version which I think has some lovely depth. The nib truly is ugly, but I know you can swap it out with a Goulet nib. 

#29 inkotheque

inkotheque

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2017 - 13:02

Thank's for your review. I think it is right on the spot. Mine has a medium nib that does not have the tooth you mention but that's fine with me as I truly love smooth nibs. I keep mine on the office table and despite being a quite affordable pen I got many colleagues asking questions on this nice looking pen.

My two ten fingers on a typewriter computer keyboard have never connected with my brain heart.
My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course.

- Graham Greene Inkotheque

#30 Cocobird

Cocobird

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2017 - 01:27

Nice review.

This was my first over $25 pen. I saw it on the Goulet website and fell in love. I have the Amber color too. I've gotten several pens since then, and some cost a lot more. This remains my favorite.

#31 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 02:03

Since my post last year I've given the Duragraph's nib its full due.  In fact I've replaced my Edison/Goulet/JoWo nibs with Conklin/Monteverde/Bock nibs in all my pens that use a #6.  My Edison Collier Persimmon Swirl Acrylic doesn't look its best with that steel monochrome nib.  Like wearing ugly house slippers with a tuxedo.  That's how much more I like Bock nibs than JoWo.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

fpn_1509066385__untitled-1.jpg

#32 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,363 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2017 - 17:20

I have an amber 1.1 stub.
A simply amazing pen. Really love it.

Clip I believe to be chrome plated brass. Same with the cap ring. They are non magnetic, despite large deformations during clip formation, which would probably cause some magnetism if stainless.

Regards

Richard.

#33 warblerick

warblerick

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2017 - 22:30

Just an FYI; the end cap is made of metal, not plastic.

#34 DustyR

DustyR

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:01

I don't think the Conklin nib is ugly, but I have two (both Duragraphs: Cracked Ice and Amber) and they took some work to get writing well (but so did my Stipula).  The only American pens I've bought and had run absolutely perfect out of the box were my Bexleys (have three - all keepers).

#35 Intensity

Intensity

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:14

I actually like the two tone Conklin nib design. It's got personality. Was part of the reason I chose a medium nib for my recent Merlot Duragraph purchase as opposed to 1.1mm stub, which is all silver.

#36 AK-47

AK-47

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:14

The beauty of this pen, for me, is that it takes a #6 nib. If you get a bad nib or decide you want two-tone or vice versa, you have plenty of options. I ordered one a Merlot 1.1 to accompany my Green 1.1 (I like stubs) but am considering ordering a Noodlers or FPN flex nib as another option...wonder if the feed will keep up?

#37 AK-47

AK-47

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:14

EDIT - apologies, internet trouble: can a moderator delete?

Edited by AK-47, 10 December 2017 - 06:15.

#38 AK-47

AK-47

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:15

EDIT: duplicate again...

Edited by AK-47, 10 December 2017 - 06:16.

Sponsored Content

|