• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kenny

• RJLOMMD

• georges zaslavsky

• vibin247

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I wonder what the comparable price in inflation-adjusted dollars would be? I mean, in 1974, the 149 was $75 on this price list. Now, I think it's in the high $500s. I'll bet that's not too far off the inflation rate during the intervening years. I remember when the oil shocks in the 1970s hit, the price of gas went from something like 30 cents a gallon to somewhere like 56 cents a gallon, and everyone thought it was a disaster. Now it's pushing $3 a gallon. Is the 149 that much off that rate?

I have seen some vintage MB 149 going for well over 400$. The 149 is a pen icon.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

I found an online inflation calculator. The 149 that cost $75 would sell for $329 in 2006 dollars. It looks like Mont Blance pricing beats the rate of inflation.

Change is inevitable, except from vending machines.

QUOTE (Jeff E @ Apr 7 2007, 11:03 AM)
I found an online inflation calculator. The 149 that cost $75 would sell for $329 in 2006 dollars. It looks like Mont Blance pricing beats the rate of inflation.

Provided that the calculator is correct (there is some variation in quality).

On the other hand, it is quite possible that some prices have outstripped inflation as they have become more popular. In 1974, who would have thought that people would pay $1.50 or more for a 12 oz bottle of water, or would pay $4.50 for a "gourmet" coffee?

In order to see if fountain pens as a whole have outstripped inflation, it would be interesting to see if we could find prices on other brands of pens (like Pelikan, Parker, etc.) that also were made in 1974. Then their price increases could also be compared to inflation.

One of the reasons I thought the price list would be interesting is that in 1974 the Diplomat and the other writing instruments in the catalogue were just that, Writing Instruments. In the intervening years much of that has been sidetracked as the "snow capped" logo has become a status symbol. I understand that Mont Blanc watches and briefcases and jewelry are available now to those who can afford it. I wonder what the nib-makers-of-old at Simplo GMBH in Hamburg would say about what has happened to the Mont Blanc name in the 21st century!

R.J.L.

Owings Mills, MD

http://www.pbase.com/rjlommd/image/76856261/medium.jpg

QUOTE (RJLOMMD @ Apr 7 2007, 04:54 PM)
in 1974 the Diplomat and the other writing instruments in the catalogue were just that, Writing Instruments. In the intervening years much of that has been sidetracked as the "snow capped" logo has become a status symbol.

sadly, but truth sad.gif

and because I love it as an unique writing instrument (and hate it as a status symbol) I will be forced to pay for it almoust half of my month salary. sad.gif