The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ugly Maki-E Kanji/chinese Characters On Nakaya Pens?

nakaya kanji chinese characters

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#41 Marino

Marino

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2015 - 20:25

Oh yea, both of them look nicer than Nakaya's. 

(You get what you pay for...?)

It sure seems to be the case here...

Sponsored Content

#42 peerless1

peerless1

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 21:17

Not giving a rats ass one way or other, my two cents.

Based on observations of many more pens with personalization that anyone elsewhere in this group knows to exist, names typically have been block characters, with little or no artistic flair provided.

Stylized characters are slightly more common on pens with dedications. Some years ago I have a neat pen with a dedication to the head of the Japan Red Cross and another from students. They are touching and heartfelt.

I have had several pens with haiku or short quotes. They too were stylized.

Stylized means it can be very difficult to accurately read the kanji.

If you think the characters are ugly see if they can be removed or redone. BTW, it seems someone would have thought about seeing a preview of the kanji before it was applied. Frankly, from my perspective, any back and forth on designing an appropriate look for kanji, would be hilarious.

If I were to ever had kanji done on my pens, it would be small and discrete. Instead of a character a device such as a turtle or Mon or individual mark would be preferable.

Fun discussion.

stan

Formerly Ryojusen Pens
The oldest and largest buyer and seller of vintage Japanese pens in America.

Member: Pen Collectors of America & Fuente, THE Japanese Pen Collectors Club

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nakaya, kanji, chinese characters

Sponsored Content

|