A Profound Idea...evolving The Ugliest Ink Ever

Fabienne

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af174/fabienne301/IMG_0311_zps47f50fe4.jpg

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af174/fabienne301/IMG_0312_zps65e55914.jpg

Why not play along? Love dull lavenders? Does high pink send you? How twee can blue be? Evolve them here. See how low you can go.

I am adding inks to an already inked pen to watch the changes. Fun.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Fabienne

• Sailor Kenshin

• uemuraw

Yew can make it even more fabulous. That is what I am trying to do. :)

Hmmmm. A challenge. But as Cyber6 says, ugly is relative. (and your relatives are ugly) :happy:

For me, ink that sets my teeth on edge is pale, watery ink, especially black that comes out pale grey with no shading. Pale, insipid ink with no character is ugly. I'll have to see what I can whip up.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Hi,

For me it is Lamy Green.

I was traumatised by that stuff, and even after the passing of time I remain shy of Green inks.

Stepping stones along my road to recovery included Sailor Jentle Epinard and Caran d'Ache Amazon, but those inks are discontinued, so I have no idea what inky therapy would help those also traumatised by Lamy Green.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I once mixed an ink I dubbed 'Puke With Pride.' The notebook in which it was tested immediately crumbled to dust, or I'd attempt to post it here.

On second thought, maybe it's better that way.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I dunno, I think Noodler's beat everyone to the punch with Dragon's Napalm. My opinion of it is no doubt heavily influenced by being old enough to have been doused with Mercurochrome repeatedly as a kid, and that was what Nathan based the color on, according to one of his videos.

Those of you who were also subjected to that stuff every time you fell off your bike and skinned a knee - did you know that your mother was rubbing mercury into your broken skin? Remember how bad that stuff stung? (In looking it up, apparently it's still used in a lot of countries. Blech.)

I dunno, I think Noodler's beat everyone to the punch with Dragon's Napalm. My opinion of it is no doubt heavily influenced by being old enough to have been doused with Mercurochrome repeatedly as a kid, and that was what Nathan based the color on, according to one of his videos.

Those of you who were also subjected to that stuff every time you fell off your bike and skinned a knee - did you know that your mother was rubbing mercury into your broken skin? Remember how bad that stuff stung? (In looking it up, apparently it's still used in a lot of countries. Blech.)

This post caused me to Google image search Mercurochrome, since I have never seen it, before... yeah, I don't recommend Googling Mercurochrome.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

That IS a hideous ink. Thanks for helping me build up my "Not To Buy" list :thumbup:

I never knew Mercurochrome contained mercury. But I never really knew how to spell it until this thread. Now it's pretty darn obvious. I wonder if it had the same amount as salmon does now...

pus-like green [...] poo-colored Golden Brown

There's something unsavoury you can associate with any colour, though. I'm sure you must have a couple of blues the colour of varicose veins.

I have no idea what inky therapy would help those also traumatised by Lamy Green.

Lamy Green is a blue-leaning green, the same as everyone else's standard green, and I've never liked them. But I have a dozen yellow-leaning greens, and this sort of green is now my favourite colour. Sailor Sourakuen tea green is a good place to start.

I'm with everyone on the hatred for bog-standard blue-leaning greens. Lamy Green is awful. Sailor Tokiwa-matsu and PR Avocado are very lovely alternatives to Epinard.

I don't love Fabienne's blend, but I might prefer it in person. My monitors tend to flatten inks in that range.

Any ink that looks like used motor oil is off my list.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

Hi,

For me it is Lamy Green.

I was traumatised by that stuff, and even after the passing of time I remain shy of Green inks.

Stepping stones along my road to recovery included Sailor Jentle Epinard and Caran d'Ache Amazon, but those inks are discontinued, so I have no idea what inky therapy would help those also traumatised by Lamy Green.

Bye,

S1

Well, Sailor Tokiwa-matsu is identical and even better behaved than Epinard. So there's no reason your therapy shouldn't continue.

I got Mont Blanc royal blue with a Mont Blanc pen. Terribly pale and hard to read. That royal family is hanging out in exile. It's only still around because the bottle is kinda cool looking. Maybe I'll mix it with some yellow or red and see what sort of a green or purple comes up. Until then, it just sort of sits in an office where folks use the other inks, but sort of just leave that one alone.

Qui tam pro domino rege quam pro se ipso in hac parte sequitur.

maybe I'm weird but I like the ink color posted by the OP. It's just about the same color as the army fatigues I and every one else used to wear when I was in the 7th infantry years ago....as well as the color of the army mash unit hospital tents we used to set up, trucks jeeps and just about anything else which could be painted was painted with this color. It's a very nostalgic color - reminds me of early times in my life and moments spent with good friends.

Edited by cellmatrix

Any ink that looks like used motor oil is off my list.

DANG. what's wrong with you? :lol:

"Ooogly is in the eye of the beholder"...... I love El Lawrence.. :wub:

Yeah, me too. Me, the blue/pink/purple girl. Saw a review of El Lawrence a couple of years ago, and just kept finding myself looking at the photos. It was kinda like going past a car wreck -- I just could not look away.... And DANG, but I like that ink.

For those of you mentioning Mercurochrome (and yeah, my mom used it on my skinned knees all the time when I was little) -- I'll give you Mercurochrome. The most hideous color ink I've ever seen reminded me of it: Platinum Mix-free Flame Red. it is the orange-red equivalent of BSB for eye-searing. :sick: The only saving grace was that I got the bottle for free, so I didn't mind giving it away to someone who was going to be grading college exams and papers. But I'll bet his students hate his guts right about now....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Here, I think this is hideous.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2015-Inklings/Colors/Black/2014-Ink_568.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I enjoy this threads :) I find El Lawrence interesting and wouldn't mind having a bottle. The ugliest inks I've tried so far are:

Soft Mint - Diamine

Ultramarin - De Atramentis

Green - Sheaffer

Onyx - Diamine

Caribbean Sea - Caran d'Ache

Copper Turquoise - Organics Studio

Terre de Feu - J. Herbin

Blue Washable - Lamy