What Is It About An Edson That Is So Special?

WilsonCQB1911

I just got my first Waterman. It's a Carene and it's amazing. I love this pen. I love it so much that I'm eyeing the Edson, which looks to be much like an expensive Carene.

So what is so special about an Edson? What makes it better than the Carene? I read people talk about build quality, but the lacquered brass body of the Carene is already quite nice and my pen feels quite solidly made. Are the nibs on the Carene and Edson the same? The two pens look remarkably similar.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• WilsonCQB1911

• pajaro

• MCN

Both models have,

1. section (nib)

2. barrel

3. cap

4. ink reservoir (cartridge or converter)

Both models are extremely tactile. I can just site and twiddle with either all day. Smooth to the touch, curved flowing surfaces, nothing sharp to the touch.

Either, in most cases, are smooth writers but I do find the finer Carene's not so.

The Carene, I found a good every day user (not so much now I have stopped office work). I have one particular pen with such a great medium nib...so smooth, never skips.

The Edson makes my writing more formal and controlled. I slow down when using it...or rather when I used to use it more often.

The Edson is a BIG pen.

I am unable to decide on which I prefer, they are both great pens. Would I spend £500 on one when I could have seven of the other for the same money...not sure cos I only spent £250 on a mint Ruby which I considered an excellent deal.

fpn_1432613148__dscn0025.jpg

Thanks Force. Your beginning point about them both having the typical pen parts may have been to subtle for me, as I didn't really follow. Otherwise, it sounds like the Edson isn't any better per se, just more exclusive and larger. Is that the gist of your post?

Thanks Force. Your beginning point about them both having the typical pen parts may have been to subtle for me, as I didn't really follow. Otherwise, it sounds like the Edson isn't any better per se, just more exclusive and larger. Is that the gist of your post?

I was only pointing out it consists of basically the same number of parts. But those parts are of very good finish and quality. Some have had issues with cap/nib rub (not me) and I recently had a cracked cap (replaced FOC in one week) but we hear very few other grumbles...other than the cost.

Yes you could say that is all it is BUT they are nice to have in ones set...if you can get one in excellent to mint condition and cheap.

I did forget to say you can take them to 35K feet and they will not leak...without adjusting anything mechanical.

I was only pointing out it consists of basically the same number of parts. But those parts are of very good finish and quality. Some have had issues with cap/nib rub (not me) and I recently had a cracked cap (replaced FOC in one week) but we hear very few other grumbles...other than the cost.

Yes you could say that is all it is BUT they are nice to have in ones set...if you can get one in excellent to mint condition and cheap.

I did forget to say you can take them to 35K feet and they will not leak...without adjusting anything mechanical.

But not worth full retail, yeah?

But not worth full retail, yeah?

It depends on who is offering the full retail. I have seen them up at £700 for the standard models. Here in the UK they can be found for around £450 online but I am always one for a deal so in my case if one could get a nice model for £300 that is a good deal. Lets not forget NR quote £500 for a section alone.

In my opinion the Edson is a much more substantial pen than the Carene. The size is an obvious difference. the barrel is much nicer to my eyes vs the Carene, and is warmer to the touch at first use. I find the design more elegant, from the nib tot he section to the clip, it is more refined. I like that I do not have to worry about lining up the end of the barrel with the nib when I refill the converter on my Edson. I even like the three little buttons for the cap on the section.

Certainly the gold cap is not for everyone, but there are other (more expensive) editions and the diamond black for those that want less flash. Also, the Edson cap top tends to ding eventually in real world use.

I think the Edson is worth the price difference over the Carene. But I would buy used for either pen is possible. It would be easier to find a deal on a new Carene though, if that makes a difference. Edson retail prices are nutso, but so are those for MB 149s and Pelikan M1000s in the US.

I once received a Carene and an Edson in the same trade. I kept the Edson and the Carene is with another owner who will treasure it more. Both are worth owning, I just found the Edson was more to my tastes.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Does the Edson cap post?

The Carene caps not posting is the reason I only use my desk Carene any more. It sits in a Sheaffer Imperial desk base.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Yes, the Edson posts very nicely. No click or anything of course but it seems quite secure and still balances well for me.

Yes, the Edson posts very nicely. No click or anything of course but it seems quite secure and still balances well for me.

Thanks. I'll have to sell quite a few pens to finance an Edson, though. Three Carenes and a few too-broad Montblancs and others should do it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Thanks. I'll have to sell quite a few pens to finance an Edson, though. Three Carenes and a few too-broad Montblancs and others should do it.

I see you are in SE Michigan. Are you planning to come to the Ann Arbor meetup on Sunday? If so I could bring my Edson for you to check out.

The Edson is one of the best pens I know, and a joy to write with.

But it is a big fat heavy pen, which not everybody likes. The innards (feed) are more complex. The pen "should" be leak-proof in a plane.

BUT if you would set writing experience against price, I think the Carene has the better price-quality index (standard retail prices).

Is the Edson worth full retail? What is a pen worth? Some people are willing to pay loads of money for some brands just for the name and logo, (with of course a good pen) There are "lesser" brands that make as good pens, but they don't have the aura.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~