Just Ordered My First Jinhao X750. What Should I Expect?

RyanM

So today I took the bold move, and bought a Jinaho. This is a pen that keeps popping up in reviews on FPN, and I thought it might be the time to try one out. The one purchased has a nice checkerboard finish, and at $4.99 with free postage, how could I not?!

What do people generally think of this pen. Is it as good as say, a Pilot Metropolitan, or a Lamy Safari? I can't wait!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Renfield

• LuckyKate

• J85909266

• Ed Harley

Top Posters In This Topic

Its heavy and big. Very nice pen indeed.

You could compare it with the Pilot MR if you get a good one. You need some luck when purchase Chinese pens. They are usually good, but it is not alway the case.

And if you purchase fron ebay and it is shipped from China, you need to wait for a long time. Usually it take 2 weeks to reach my place at California.

I liked it well enough. The nib was smooth, it didn't leak or dry out. I ended up giving mine to my sister.

I have one with a Monteverde nib...got it from HisNibs.com....decent writing pen....no complaints from me.

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to say you are....you aren't" - Margaret Thatcher

As far as writing performance goes, you're likely getting a good enough pen. I have a couple.

The reason that Chinese pens in general don't rise in my opinion to the caliber of a Safari or a Metropolitan is that they lack design integrity. They're cheap pens trying to look like expensive ones, which is a recipe for kitsch.

If the Jinhao X750 was made entirely of plastic and lost most or all of its chrome furniture, I'd respect the pen a lot more.

Edited by Nomad

Mine was a pretty wet medium and felt heavier than I was used to. I didn't care for it more than my Lamy medium. The hard snap of the cap and scrape of the threads left me with the feeling that the pen wasn't so great. I set it aside for limited use. Although the nib is relatively smooth, I decided to experiment and put a $2 Noodlers non-flex nib on it. Now it's not overly wet and writes surprisingly nicely. I wrote a letter with it today, both posted and unposted. Both ways were actually just fine in use, with maybe a little preference for unposted. I only have the one Jinhao pen, and if the flow with these is generally like mine, that would be my only complaint. If you don't like the nib, you could purchase a really nice #6 nib and still have a great deal.

If the Jinhao X750 was made entirely of plastic and lost most or all of its chrome furniture, I'd respect the pen a lot more.

Indeed! Actually why they didn't think about that? i hope the producers are reading this...then I will get another one.

It's a decent pen, heavy, C/C and can take a #6 nib.

You should expect to maybe have to adjust the nib a little, or at least you might want to. It's not a huge loss if you ruin it. Mine came with an excessively wet nib, so wet that After a page of writing the converter was almost empty. The I tweaked it and now it writes perfectly, as smoothly as my safari.

I have the X450 and it bugs me too that it tries to look like an expensive pen while it's not. They try to make the barrel look like a fancy complex material, but it looks really flat, like they just rolled a printed piece of paper around it and then put some lacquer on it. Which might be what they did.

As far as writing performance goes, you're likely getting a good enough pen. I have a couple.

The reason that Chinese pens in general don't rise in my opinion to the caliber of a Safari or a Metropolitan is that they lack design integrity. They're cheap pens trying to look like expensive ones, which is a recipe for kitsch.

The kitsch is exactly what I love about these pens. But I don't have the 159 (though I want an orange one). I have a x750 and a porcelain horse. They are really fun. I mostly use them for light tasks like taking role or quick notes as they are much too heavy for more than a few minutes of use. The nibs on mine are great though.

My experience was very poor. I got the matte black finish, which had about as much durability as a scratch off ticket. The shiny metal beneath the coating looks awful when it scratches.

The nib is smooth, but it is way, way too wet and skips and hard starts like crazy.

Additionally, the fit is lacking. The cap jiggles annoyingly when the pen is closed, and the clip has a ton of side to side play. That is what caused the initial scratching of the finish on the cap.

Honestly, I hate the pen and never use it. I know that many have been satisfied with the X750, so my situation is not always the case. That said, my first impression of Chinese fountain pens is pretty bad, and I doubt I'll ever buy another.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I have had lots of chinese pens, and frankly find them great value for money.

I have a couple of X750's, and they all perform well.

The X750 on my desk probably gets more use than any other fountain pen I own.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I picked up an X750 a couple of weeks ago from Goulet Pens. I'd done some research, which gave me the foresight to order a Goulet "F" nib at the same time. The Jinhao nib was surprisingly smooth but too wet to be functional. I put the Goulet fine nib in it. It now gets more use than any of my other pens. I love it. I kept the Jinhao nib & intend to tame the ink flow issue some day.

The converter functions well but isn't of the best quality. I tend to reload int'l short cartridges with whatever ink strikes my fancy at refill time. I'm impressed enough to have ordered one for each of my daughters and another for myself.

The weight is nice for my taste & I've written several pages at a sitting, frequently. Balance is really nice.