I Got My Nib Block. Now What?

claudewick

Guys,

I was lucky to got one nib block from Ian (Cathedral Pens). It's a wonderful tool, beautifully craftted. I know what to do with it, but I don't don't how.

Is there a video or tutorial of how to work on nibs using the nib block?

The tool is not intuitive and I don't even know how to hold the nib in place or how to use the burnisher...

Any help is apreciated.

Thanks

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y262/claudewick/2015-05-25%2020.20.18.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• claudewick

• newlife

• ac12

• Beechwood

I have no nib block myself, but I would use sellotape to fix the nib in place and use the burnisher to straighten the tines where necessary, either from the inside or outside.

Klaus

I have one of the nib blocks shown, and will agree that it's not an everyday use item for most of us. I've only used it a couple of times, and it's worked wonderfully. As for holding; I just used my fingers of one hand while burnishing with the other. Just to set the record straight, I'm not now, never have been, and never will be a nibmeister. The only reason I am somewhat familiar with the use is that one of my lifelong (off and on) hobbies has been blacksmithing, so I have some small idea of how to work metal. If you get a nib block, I'd also suggest practicing with scrap metals or possibly thin copper or maybe brass shim stock; anything that will give you a feel for shaping thin metal. For most of us (myself included) it would probably be much more cost efficient to forget purchasing a nib block, and sending a bent/damaged nib to a nib repair person.

Kindest regards, Ken

For most of us (myself included) it would probably be much more cost efficient to forget purchasing a nib block, and sending a bent/damaged nib to a nib repair person.

Would be nice to have a nib repairmen around, but I haven't heard of any in the same country or continent I live. If I want some nibs repaired I guess I'd have to do it myself. I know that I'll ruin some nibs in the learning process, but I still need some guidance to start...

Edited by claudewick

Would be nice to have a nib repairmen around, but I haven't heard of any in the same country or continent I live. If I want some nibs repaired I guess I'd have to do it myself. I know that I'll ruin some nibs in the learning process, but I still need some guidance to start...

That's opportunity knocking on your door. I just got one of these myself this year, and I'm also looking for reference and training guides. I've used it on a couple of nibs, and had some fair success. This is something I suspect will take a lot of time to understand. It also means that buying pens with bad nibs is on my plate.

I have no nib block myself, but I would use sellotape to fix the nib in place and use the burnisher to straighten the tines where necessary, either from the inside or outside.

Klaus

Tape will act as a cushion, and will make it harder for you to burnish the nib. You need to hold the nib with your fingers.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Tape will act as a cushion, and will make it harder for you to burnish the nib. You need to hold the nib with your fingers.

Ron,

I guess you're very acquainted with this tool, right? Can't you write a short description on how to use it? I think it will be useful not just for me, but for everyone here.

Cheers

As with most pen related work, practice and patience are the pre-requisites. You have a kink in a nib, if it is outward of the convex side place nib on convex and press/burnish to flatten back to true nib shape. Repeat as required if as very rarely it is the obverse.

Bear in mind when aligning tines though burnishing with the nib block it can be counter intuitive(1) where you burnish the nib to align. Do NOT over burnish, very little pressure is needed regularly, you do not want to change the characteristics of the base metal through work hardening (excessive burnishing).

1. To align tines you may have to burnish the nib further down the tail, for them to align, this is where you need a nib block rather than manipulating them with your fingers to align at the points. This could be considered the "black art" of nib work, a true nib technician can press a nib at a certain point and have tines aligned, us mere mortals may try and manipulate a very springy item (tines) into position, the nib itself is a lot bigger than just the tines and the mechanics of the whole item should be taken into consideration. Also the stress situation the nib will be in when pressed against the feed and section, the intimacy of this relationship is critical to the pen writing as intended by the manufacturer, in days gone by all hand set.

Both the concave and convex faces of the nib block should be used in working nibs to their optimum performance and cosmetic appearance, but little by little, the material is very old.

You wouldn't send your 80 year old gran to a physiotherapist for a two hour session to get her in shape would you ? Treat the nibs with the respect you would your 80 year old gran.

A little known fact is that I, as others, use a highly polished brass faced jewelers hammer to remove recalcitrant kinks in nibs, I DO NOT advise this unless you want to be sending your nibs off for re-tipping.

Pen repair/work is an expensive skill to master, the mistakes have to be learned at your cost not the customers.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

@Ron

I was thinking about the use of the convex part of the block, I forgot to mention that. With the concave part sellotape is of course not useful. On the other hand you will be able to fix most nibs on the convex side, won't you?

Klaus

@Ron

I was thinking about the use of the convex part of the block, I forgot to mention that. With the concave part sellotape is of course not useful. On the other hand you will be able to fix most nibs on the convex side, won't you?

Klaus

Which you use concave or convex, depends on the damage to the nib, and thus what you have to do to the nib to straighten/flatten it.

The advantage with using the concave side is, any burnishing marks you make will be hidden under the nib.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Pen repair/work is an expensive skill to master, the mistakes have to be learned at your cost not the customers.

Thanks for your answer, it was very useful! I'll keep all of this in mind.

BTW, I don't plan to have any customers or to became a pro. I already have my job and I really doubt that in my country I would have enough demand to live of repairs, even if I mastered all the technics.

I want to learn to use on my pens. I bought a few pens in bad condition, I learned how to clean and to polish them. Now I want to acquire a new skill, that's all.

I know that I can learn to use this by myself, but learn by error demands time. And I have a baby at home, I can waste a few cheap nibs, but I'd like to avoid wasting time (I don't have that much to waste) and I never imagined that would be that difficult to get a simple tutorial, short video or something like this to help me...

Regards

Edited by claudewick

... and I never imagined that would be that difficult to get a simple tutorial, short video or something like this to help me...

The problem with the video you are asking for is, you need the people that know what they are doing, to do the video. Not a novice like me who does not know what they are doing. And a LOT of videos that I've seen (on various topics) on YouTube are made by novices who want to look like pros, or just want their Videos out there. Some are scary dangerous...as in DUMB. So go easy, when you can't find what you want. There are a LOT of stuff that I can't find with any of the search engines.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com