Help For Chronic Pen Loss

Fabienne

My husband is a graceful, smart, well educated man who is careful of his possessions. I have given him several very nice pens and he has managed to lose just about every one. Some have been found and some have not:

• Montblanc 149-Lost but found by our white cat (he was pawing at the back of the dresser and there was the pen).
  • Montblanc Classique Ballpoint-Lost
  • Montblanc LeGrand-Lost
  • Cross ballpoint-Lost but found under a chair.

He just lost the LeGrand last night. He had not had it a week. I am in the process of finding him a new one BUT is there anything you can think of to keep pens less prone to loss? I would prefer no duct tape involved but if I must, I must. But seriously, any thoughts?

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fabienne

• sandy101

• Charles Rice

• MKB

Supply him with only cheap, one use throwaway pens. He'll either take better care of what he has left, or you'll have found a more fiscal alternative to his current habit.

Good luck!

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Perhaps get him a pen that would fit in the wallet? A Kaweco Sport, for example?

Or maybe a pen case may be useful? It's bigger and more likely to be noticed if it were not in the pocket right?

Good luck with this pen loss issue!

~Epic

Edited by Lord Epic
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

Does he lose all pens or just expensive ones? If only expensive, he might be being too careful and putting them where he's not accustomed to putting pens, so as to not lose them - and then forgets. I'm prone to being more careless, the harder I try to be careful. Not sure how it works but it does. In which case he'd need to be less careful of them.

I would stop buying him expensive pens.

That being said, I keep my pens in the same place all the time. The ones i use all the time live in a pen case in my shoulder bag. Those out of circulation stay in a holder that stays in the same spot in my study. I never leave them lying around when I am not using them. The second I am done with one, it goes back in the case and back into the bag.

I worry about giving my husband pens -- not because he'll lose them per se, but because he's likely to leave the cap off and have them dry out. :angry: I've promised him a red Estie J, with an EF nib, just to sort of acclimate him. The 51 with the EF nib will wait till I see how he does with an inexpensive pen, before I try him out on a really good one.

If he leaves off/loses the cap on the Estie, I will stand over him to make him flush it out (after *finding* the cap, of course). If he then loses the cap on the 51? Well, then I stage an intervention.... And I don't even LIKE EF nibs normally. But this one is kinda special because I got it from Pendleton Brown and it is a very smooth sweet writer (dunno what he did offhand, other than work whatever nib magic he's got :D).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think what he need is a desk set, where he could put the pen after use it.

Well, i can feel pain just by look at the list.

I would stop buying him expensive pens.

That being said, I keep my pens in the same place all the time. The ones i use all the time live in a pen case in my shoulder bag. Those out of circulation stay in a holder that stays in the same spot in my study. I never leave them lying around when I am not using them. The second I am done with one, it goes back in the case and back into the bag.

+1

I very rarely lose anything because I have a pile for everything and everything goes on its proper pile.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

Either stop buying him expensive pens

or

Dump him and find a husband who won't lose pens.

Either stop buying him expensive pens

or

Dump him and find a husband who won't lose pens.

Not just pens... *those* kind of pens. :P If they were all purchases made by you on his behalf, maybe he needs to buy his own pens from now on.

My husband is a graceful, smart, well educated man who is careful of his possessions.

I think that's the key. If he bought the pens with his money, things might well be different.

"To lose one Mont Blanc, Mr F may be regarded as a misfortune, to lose two looks like carelessness."

I have a rather nice pencil box which my expensive pens live. They are either in the pen box, or in the pen case in my pocket. Since they have a home to go to, it makes them less easy to lose.

Alternatively a shoe box of Jinhao 159's?

Alternatively a shoe box of Jinhao 159's?

15 pens for $20.

Or, a ringtop on a chain?

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

I was thinking maybe I could take a piece of string and thread it through the clip and tie it on, then run the string up his jacket sleeve and safety pin it to the back of his jacket. I think that would work, like kids' winter mittens.

I just got a phonecall. He found it. We had a power outage last night and he had put the pen in a book he was reading when the lights went out. He did it reflexively and just forgot about it. I was very relieved BUT think I will seriously consider the string theory for attachment.

Perhaps there is a message there. Are there things he does not lose?

His mind. :D

Sounds like you need a new husband; one who shares your love of pens....joking :)