You Have Your Holy Grail & Expensive Pens But You Keep On Using _____

Fabienne

The less expensive ones that I love and use a lot are: Pelikan 605 all blue (Gallerias Kristoff or something like that) and my faber Castel Ondoro Oak.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bklyn

• Fabienne

• KBeezie

• bardharlock

I acquired a MB 149 and a Pelikan m1000, great pens both, but my old lamy vista w 14k nib is still my favorite and most used pen. That inexpensive Lamy really punches above its weight.

I've been using my Waterman 52 1/2 v with the fine semiflex nib, but I'm waiting for the one with the flexy New York nib to come back from the shop. The Grail pen: the Waterman with the Artist's nib, is still sitting in a desk drawer in Corbenic Castle.

That said, I'm awfully fond of my medium Prera.

i do not have a holy grail pen, nor do I want one.

I love and use all my pens except for a few that I never use anymore.

The pen I would use is dependent on what color or thickness I will use. If I have multiple letters or thank you notes to write then I will reach for multiple pens with multiple colors. Etc, etc, etc.

I carry a 24 pen case full of pens every where I go daily so I have no bias except for maybe my Montblanc Boheme Lilac Perioutte Fountain pen that I typically keep in my front pocket.

Not really the answer you where looking for but....there it is.

The Holy Grail Pen is a myth. There is no single pen that can satisfy all needs and wants at the same time.

Agree, therefor a nonsense question.

I use all sorts of pens whenever I feel like it.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

Aunt Agatha is family. I reach for Dad's Parker 51. It is loaded with the same

turquoise ink that he always used. Family elders are nostalgic.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

It's not fancy, it's not beautiful, It's not expensive, but I just love to use my Wearever Pennant, It cost me no more than $3 and was the first pen I replaced a sac myself. It's a very smooth pen, never gets dry, never skips, and has the perfect medium line in my opinion.

Still searching for the perfect PFM IV, and the striped Myurex, after having acquired my first grail pen, a gf crosshatch sheaffer imperial of the 70s in mint condition. I use it as much as my many hero 100s, if not more. For me a pen that isn't an Edc isn't very useful.

I found my grail pen. I bought it, and I use it often. I edit books on paper, so I'm always using a pen. I always leave the grail pen at home, so I end up using my black Kaweco Sport Classic lots of the time.

Four pens:

--2 Kawecos

--red Lamy Safari

--large sterling Montegrappa Reminiscence

Quiet times, writing at home, I reach for the MG half the time, I guess.

Parker 51. It remains a better pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

No grail pen for me, just the next pen. When I want to write something special, the pen I reach for probably is one of the more expensive ones. The bb 144 or the 51 stub. Maybe the Passaporto, Captain's Commission, or Catalina italics. All of them have great line variation, great flow, & are kept inked with different colors. 51s are the daily users, but these five are my favorites to play with.

Man... over the years I've owned some pretty expensive pens(I guess the Nakaya's would be the grail pen), but I've never been more happy with the 2 TWSBI 580's that I have. Now mind you I did buy 3 extra nib units and picked the 2 best one's for these pens(best 2 out of 5), but wow I just couldn't be more pleased with them. I also love being able to disassemble it and not worry about some expensive repair, or waiting months for it to come back from Europe or whatever.

It's crazy to think that I've owned all these pens and I'm most happy with a couple of $60 pens:

- Montblanc 149

- Waterman Exception night&day platinum

- Cartier Pasha platinum plate

- 2 Waterman Carene's

- Pelikan M600

- 2 Nakaya Piccolo's

- 1 Nakaya Decapod Twist

- 2 Sailor ProGear's

- 1 Namiki Sterling

- Vintage Parker Vacumatic

- Platinum 3776 Chartres Blue

- Platinum 3776 Shoji

- Pilot Custom 823(this one's new, and actually seems to be amazing value)

Now don't get me wrong- All of these pens were amazing in their own right, except for the Cartier which skipped like crazy; But I love the peace of mind I have when using an inexpensive pen that just happens to have a really great nib.

Edited by Legal Eagle

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74

Ink- J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor

i wouldn't go as far as calling it a 'grail' pen. to me, it's either cheaper or expensive. i have many fountain pens, all in different brands and range of prices. i rotate the use of my pens on monthly basis, this way i get to use them ALL. but like most people, i do tend to go for a cheaper ones more than the expensive ones because i don't trust people. i bring less expensive one to work and travel. while keeping the expensive ones at home, though sometimes i use them at work as well. another reason i may go for a cheaper one also depends on the ink i decide to use that particular month. yes, i rotate the use of my inks as well. if it's the type of ink that stains or not recommended to be used with my precious pens, then i'd use those inks with the cheaper fountain pens.

-rudy-

I carry maybe 5 pens and a pencil (red D800) in cases in my bag at all times- 3 pel m800's, a wateman 52 1/2v with a flexy nib, a m200 with a Binder CI nib...

But there is always my silver Kaweco AL Sport in my pocket... and that's what comes out all the time. With purple ink.

Sometimes the cat needs a new cat toy. And sometimes I need a new pen.