Waterproof Inks Vs Others

Mindy

I've been learning quite a bit about bottled ink and syringes, etc. So far I've been using cartridges. I want to get more into other inks. I'm now ready to dive in! But the thing I've liked about the Cross ink in the cartridges, is that they appear waterproof. I tested this. I wrote out a few lines on a sheet of paper, got my hand wet, and smeared my moist hand over the lettering and it didn't smear! When I began using a fountain pen in November I was concerned that if my journal got wet, all that I had written could be gone.

So am I limiting myself by wanting to stick with waterproof ink? Do most inks smear to the point that what is written is no longer recognizable?

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks a bunch!

Mindy :)

"To stimulate creativity, one must develop the childlike inclination for play." ~Albert Einstein

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mindy

• inkstainedruth

• SeeksAdvice

• TheRealScubaSteve

Top Posters In This Topic

I like a variety of inks, both waterproof and non. It depends on what you're looking for. And there will be trade-offs. An ink might be waterproof, but have other less desirable qualities such as feathering or bleedthrough issues on poorer quality paper, or clogging in nibs if the pen isn't used as a daily writer, or not be UV light resistant, or even just have poor flow. The best advice I can give you is to read the reviews and comparisons and make up your mind (and then possibly get some ink samples, which are generally pretty inexpensive and will give you more fills than a cartridge will). And just see which inks look like ones you'd be interested in, and work well with your particular pen.

For instance, in addition to waterproofness, you might find that your pen is a very dry writer, and only works well with certain inks that are considered "wetter" (i.e., flow better). Or you might find that a particular ink is indeed very waterproof -- but you hate the color.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I like a variety of inks, both waterproof and non. It depends on what you're looking for. And there will be trade-offs. An ink might be waterproof, but have other less desirable qualities such as feathering or bleedthrough issues on poorer quality paper, or clogging in nibs if the pen isn't used as a daily writer, or not be UV light resistant, or even just have poor flow. The best advice I can give you is to read the reviews and comparisons and make up your mind (and then possibly get some ink samples, which are generally pretty inexpensive and will give you more fills than a cartridge will). And just see which inks look like ones you'd be interested in, and work well with your particular pen.

For instance, in addition to waterproofness, you might find that your pen is a very dry writer, and only works well with certain inks that are considered "wetter" (i.e., flow better). Or you might find that a particular ink is indeed very waterproof -- but you hate the color.

Hi Ruth, thank you. I will read up on the reviews. But what you say here raises more questions. I recently bought a Pilot E95S and bought Private Reserve Invincible blue Ink being told it was a permanent ink (still smears). This pen writes so smoothly. My cross pens, with its waterproof inks, can feel not so smooth. So this Private Reserve is considered wet? I don't understand the difference between wet ink and dry. I might now. The Pilot with the Private Reserve ink feels wet as it glides on the page, whereas my Cross pens with the waterproof cartridges (all the same cartridges) feels dry and isn't as smooth. I love smooth! The paper is the same. The pilot feels perfect with this ink.

Can you tell me more about wet vs dry ink? Thank you so much.

Mindy

"To stimulate creativity, one must develop the childlike inclination for play." ~Albert Einstein

So am I limiting myself by wanting to stick with waterproof ink? Do most inks smear to the point that what is written is no longer recognizable?

I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks a bunch!

Mindy :)

There are lots of choices if you stick with water resistant ink. These may smudge or run but retain some color (usually black) that can be read. There are much fewer waterproof inks - look for Noodler's bulletproof inks, Super 5 inks, particle (as opposed to dye-based ink), and registrar's inks.

Lots of ink without water resistance can be smudged enough to not be read. If it's an important quality, be sure to test them thoroughly.

There are lots of choices if you stick with water resistant ink. These may smudge or run but retain some color (usually black) that can be read. There are much fewer waterproof inks - look for Noodler's bulletproof inks, Super 5 inks, particle (as opposed to dye-based ink), and registrar's inks.

Lots of ink without water resistance can be smudged enough to not be read. If it's an important quality, be sure to test them thoroughly.

Thanks, Steve! Taking notes here. ;)

For Blue-Black, try Sailor Sei-Boku "Nano-ink". It just works. Pen cleaning isn't that difficult. Once it's dry on the page, not even sure a nuclear explosion would remove it. I still have components of that ink staining the pocket of a white shirt, despite probably two dozen washes with/without bleach and direct bleach application. Good shading, a professional looking ink. It survived Amber's torture-fade test. Way more expensive than Noodler's but much better behaved on average, and way better looking IMO.

I would avoid MB Permanent black. It might be "waterproof," but smudge proof it aint. Found it to be a complete waste of time and money:/ Perm Blue stays on the page better, but is a real pain to clean out of pens.

Noodler's makes a pretty good line of waterproof inks. They can be tenacious in staying put. A coworker of mine has a kid who just got done with kindergarten this year. I think I'll have to get them a Pelikan Pelikano and a bottle of The Blue That Shall not be Named. Or, perhaps Goldspot's "Revolutionary Blue" that, based on postings here, is even more potent in its staining abilities than The Blue that Shall not be Named.

Registrar's inks write well on the page, but can be dry. I've had issues with Iron-Gall inks fading in my files and other locations.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

I use waterproof ink exclusively. There are fewer waterproof inks, but actually the selection is still quite good. Like you, I'm trying to protect my journals and letters from smearing or completely disappearing. Here's my current list:

Grey = Montblanc 90th Anniversary Grey

Black = Sailor Kiwa Guro

Blue-black = Super5 Atlantic

Blue = Platinum Pigment Blue

Brown = Platinum Pigment Brun Sepia

Red = De Atramentis Document Red

I see Sailor has recently released some nano-carbon inks like Kiwa Guro in various colors. I'm going to give those a try based on the virtues of Kiwa Guro, a very well behaved ink.

I used to use a lot of Noodler's bulletproof inks but found their color and behavior very variable from bottle to bottle. That may have been corrected in recent years. I miss the old formula for Luxury Blue (before it took on a teal tinge), and I loved Nakahama Manjiro Whalemans Sepia (first batch) and Galileo Manuscript Brown (was it?). But I moved in early 2014 and gave away almost all of my inks...

Doug

I've been learning quite a bit about bottled ink and syringes, etc. So far I've been using cartridges. I want to get more into other inks. I'm now ready to dive in! But the thing I've liked about the Cross ink in the cartridges, is that they appear waterproof. I tested this. I wrote out a few lines on a sheet of paper, got my hand wet, and smeared my moist hand over the lettering and it didn't smear!

Cross ink is made by Pelikan so you will get the same results with a bottle of Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black. This ink is very water resistant:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/220120-pelikan-brilliant-black-water-tests/

For a water resistant blue you should look at Pilot/Namiki blue:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/241042-pilot-blue-bottle/

Please note that these are water resistant inks and not fully waterproof or "bulletproof". However they get the job done without the need for frequent cleaning of your pens.

Edited by carlos.q

I use waterproof ink exclusively. There are fewer waterproof inks, but actually the selection is still quite good. Like you, I'm trying to protect my journals and letters from smearing or completely disappearing. Here's my current list:

Grey = Montblanc 90th Anniversary Grey

Black = Sailor Kiwa Guro

Blue-black = Super5 Atlantic

Blue = Platinum Pigment Blue

Brown = Platinum Pigment Brun Sepia

Red = De Atramentis Document Red

I see Sailor has recently released some nano-carbon inks like Kiwa Guro in various colors. I'm going to give those a try based on the virtues of Kiwa Guro, a very well behaved ink.

I used to use a lot of Noodler's bulletproof inks but found their color and behavior very variable from bottle to bottle. That may have been corrected in recent years. I miss the old formula for Luxury Blue (before it took on a teal tinge), and I loved Nakahama Manjiro Whalemans Sepia (first batch) and Galileo Manuscript Brown (was it?). But I moved in early 2014 and gave away almost all of my inks...

Doug

DA Document Red was certainly pretty permanent. But "red" it's not.... More like salmon pink.

I loved the color of Noodler's Whalemans Sepia but the behavior? Not so much. The stuff would NOT flow. Clung to the insides of the pen for dear life. It was better once I added distilled water, but really disappointing overall.

As for the variability between bottles of Noodler's ink. My sample of 54th MA was a dark blue-black with a teal undertone. The bottle -- much bluer and lighter. I still like it (and it's one of the inks I use when writing checks), but all the same, it was a bit of shock.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

For my journal entries I demand nothing less than permanent ink. In my case this mostly means Noodler's Ink. I am a fan of Platinum Carbon black as well. What I get with Noodler's is a multitude of colors that are not only waterproof, but UV-resistant, pH neutral, and even resistant to bleach and other forger's tools. I am very happy with my choices. I've been using Noodler's in Fountain Pens for my journaling for at least 6 years now. Noodler's meets all my requirements and comes in at a price tag well below most of its competitors. Some inks are better behaved than others, but Noodler's Black is very well behaved and I want my journal to photocopy well for my children and grandchildren, so black is the best choice all around.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

Your Pilot pen maybe the chief cause of your smoothing writing experience. Smoothness does not all come from the ink. Pilot pens are well know for being smooth writers even the ones that cost a few dollars. However certain inks can cause my pilot pens to not be a smooth or free writing and paper can also be a pleasure or a rough dirt road.

Some inks just work well. Waterman inks being a gold standard. If a pen does not work well with a Waterman ink there is something wrong with the pen. -Needs a serious cleaning or the nib/inner working of the pen need correction.

Some ink/pen combinations work better than others. You may like a certain ink but have to get it in the right one of your pens for the best experience. Or you may want a Blue ink in a certain pen and have to try several Blue inks before you find the best for that pen.

Frustrating and fun.

One thing you will learn about the fountain pen hobby is the different characteristics of ink. Waterproof, permanent, archival, and fade resistant are all different characteristics of ink. Not all of them are found in many (most) inks, so you will have to find what you value. Wet vs dry is another important characteristic, and so is the frustration factor for cleaning/staining!

One of the most important characteristics for me in choosing an ink for journaling is fade resistance. I've written in my journals all over the world from the fiery deserts of Iraq to the deep humidity of the American South. I've yet to test the waterproof characteristics of any of my paper or the ink. But I am worried that the ink will fade off the paper over time.

The nano-pigment inks by Sailor and Platinum are excellent for all types of paper, water resistance, and fade proof qualities. My Sailor and Platinum pens are my go-to pens when I'm using these pigment inks, and I haven't had an issue with them in the years I've been using these inks.

I'm new to the world of iron gall inks, but I really like what I've seen thus far. I have a dedicated group of pens that I'm using as test pens for my KWZI and Diamine Registrar IG inks. These inks are amazing on bad paper, have very good water resistance, and have a history of long-lasting qualities. We'll have to see how the new formulations compare to those that wrote out the Declaration of Independence and numerous other historical documents.

Other inks bear the label of permanent, warden, archival, waterproof, and more. By a few samples of these inks to try out the colors and see how they do on your pen/paper combination.

Buzz

Personally, if you do not NEED waterproof, I would not bother. I use almost any ink that I decide that I like the color of. The fact that it is NOT waterproof does not bother me. I don't put a cup of water next to my journals.

In college, I valued my clothes, so I did NOT use permanent ink. Figuring that sooner or later, I would get ink on my clothes.

If you have a NEED for waterproof, then that is a different matter.

BTW, I think the ink in the Cross cartridge is NOT the same ink as the Cross bottle ink (which is Pelikan).

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I have lightened up on waterproof requirements. I thought it would be an issue, but it hasn't been. I do use them under certain circumstances, like lab records, but I tend not to have issues with personal writing, although I thought it would be a problem for me when I started using fountain pens.

I also use them for line sketches under watercolor - any bleed will contaminate your watercolor wash, so the ink has to be waterproof.