Round Or Angled Grip Section ?

Hans-Gabriel

Round or angular grip section ?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What grip section shape do you prefer ?

• Round
    • Angular (such as Lamy Safari)
    • Other (Please specify)

Hello everyone!

I was wondering what your grip section preferences are. Most FP have round sections, but some models such as Lamy Safari has a section with two angles.

Is this comfortable for everyone? Any preference?

Have you seen any section with a different design?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

H-G

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ehemem

• bardharlock

• ac12

• J85909266

Pens like the Lamy Safari, because it is a "school pen", are designed to encourage/force a tripod grip. If one doesn't have such a grip, I imagine the pen would be rather uncomfortable to use (I think others here have mentioned their dislike for the Safari grip).

Personally I like the faceted grip as I find it more comfortable. The Pilot Kakuno, another beginners' pen, has a similar faceted grip. I'm rather sorry more pens don't have such grips, though doubtless I'm in the minority.

There's also the triangular shaped OMAS 360, but I've never had the pleasure of trying one.

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

I like the Safari, and feel really sad that i couldn't found it in the last three days. Can't remember where i put it :(.

But i prefer round grip section, nice to hold, easier to find the sweet spot for the nib.

I prefer angled grip because I can open, grip, and write without looking at the pen. It's simply practical.

But I can't argue with the aesthetics of rounded sections.

I heard Omas 360 is surprisingly comfortable to grip. Need to try one soon.

Round.

And I resent people that say that the Lamy Safari grip is the proper way.

If you presume to decide how I should grip a pen, I will not buy it.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I went for round but I have a hexagonal Caran d'Ache that I have used for years.

I have a tripod grip, so it doesn't matter to me. Even the Pilot VP doesn't bother me. But then I'm one of those people who adapts to the tool at hand rather than think the tool should conform to my idiosyncrasies...

I have a tripod grip, so it doesn't matter to me. Even the Pilot VP doesn't bother me. But then I'm one of those people who adapts to the tool at hand rather than think the tool should conform to my idiosyncrasies...

Uh...why conform to a tool that doesn't fit you when countless alternatives that do exist?

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

There are far too many other factors than simply round or triangular to allow an answer other than "other". There is also material, surface texture, length, width, slope, whether straight, concave or convex just to list a few factors off the top of my head.

My Website

I have an American P-75 (Safari also) with the triangular grip. Back when I used a classic tripod it was good. But after I changed over the 'forefinger up' variant, I can't use that grip well. I can but end up with my forefinger on top of the triangle, other finger and thumb back.

Some day I'll get a French P-75 with the round grip.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I prefer round, but I've never had any issues with the nontraditional grips such as the Pilot VP and Lamy Safari. I recently was gifted a Pelikan Twist, a pen I would never have thought of purchasing for myself. The Twist has a spiral grooved section that has surprisingly been one of the most comfortable and ergonomic fountain pens I've written with.

Round but concave grips work the best for me in the narrower widths of 0.4" or less.

A round cross section conical grip (Parker 51, Lamy 2000, etc...) makes my fingers slip forward. Concave grips that flare in the front are the most comfortable.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Round for me. I wrote for 30 years incorrectly. Then I discovered fountain pens and wanted to write more legibly so adopted the tripod. I still dislike angular grips however. I own a Safari and Vista and do use them from time to time, but the the size of them and balance when posted are bigger deal breakers for me than the grip.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

Uh...why conform to a tool that doesn't fit you when countless alternatives that do exist?

Adaptability

I prefer round, but I've never had any issues with the nontraditional grips such as the Pilot VP and Lamy Safari. I recently was gifted a Pelikan Twist, a pen I would never have thought of purchasing for myself. The Twist has a spiral grooved section that has surprisingly been one of the most comfortable and ergonomic fountain pens I've written with.

Yes! The Twist is very comfortable. Too bad it only comes with a medium nib...

I like the Lamy Safari. It was my first fountain pen, and through its design I learned how to feel comfortable writing with one. I've since moved beyond it, but I do think it has its place as a kind of "starter" fountain pen, or an all-around bullet-proof work horse pen.

I know people don't like its design. But then again, given a room with 100 people in it, 33 will complain the room is too hot, 33 will complain its too cold, 33 will not notice or care, and one will be in the bathroom.

Voted other as I have no strong feelings either way. Most of my pens are round however with an Al Star & a Jinhao 599 representing the angular grip sections of about 18 pens.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I prefer round, but I have several Safaris and enjoy writing with them. They're a great hiking pen :) Like a few others, I actually look at other factors more. For instance, is the grip metal or plastic (I like metal sections just as much as plastic); How prominent are the threads? What is the size and shape of the step from barrel to section? Also, the weight of the pen has as much to do with comfort, for me, as the shape of the section.

Tamara

I prefer round. However, my mom purchased me a cheap calligraphy fountain pen set with oblique nibs. And the sections on those pens were angular. In that case I very much appreciated it since it forced me to hold the oblique nib properly all the time.