Sailor 1911M Vs Parker 51

Lucapens

30 members have voted

1. 1. Parker 51 or Sailor 1911M?

• Parker 51
    • Sailor 1911M

Hi, All. I'm interested in acquiring one of these pens. Which one should I buy? I'm a middle school student who does a lot of writing. I already have the Lamy 2000 and the Pilot Vanishing Point. If you've had experience with these pens, please share your thoughts.

Thanks,

Luca

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• J85909266

• ironwampa

• fly_us

Top Posters In This Topic

I have all 4 pens. There is no way one can compare the Parker 51 and the Sailor 1911. Both are different pens, yet both are very nice, reliable pens. I say, save up, and buy both the Parker 51 and the Sailor 1911 pen. Best of luck!!!:)

LoL wow, am I the only one that voted for a Parker 51?

I've owned both (1911M with a Zoom Nib, and a Parker 51 Vacumatic in Cordovan Brown, 1/10 14K Gold Filled Cap, and a 14K wet Fine nib).

I generally lean towards restored vintage (or self restored if I can), of which in this case an Aerometric Parker 51 restored is going to probably cost half the price of the Sailor 1911M, look a bit less auspicious, and pretty much built like a tank. Also the flow pretty much never dries out with the fully hooded nib. I'm not really big on fully hooded nibs (even though I also own a Lamy 2000), and I prefer the Parker 45 over the Parker 51, but of the two I'd have to go with the Parker 51 in either aerometric (around $50-60 ish, sometimes less) or the Vacumatic (about 20-40 more depending).

You could get both :D but for me, I'd go the 51 of the two, just make sure you get one 'restored' and not just in the wild needing work.

I say 1911. It's a timeless design, sailor nibs are very highly regarded, and it's new.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I would say P51 purely on the basis of ink capacity.

Note to self: don't try to fix anything without the heat gun handy!

I think a 51 is more of a workhorse and will suit your needs better.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I own and use all four of those pens, and they are all very different writing tools. Your VP and 2K are both heavy pens, and they are always recommended for their performance and reliability.

The Sailor 1911 is a light pen with very "classic" fountain pen looks. This would be your first pen with a bright gold nib with no hooded covering. Sailor makes excellent nibs with a soft feel, and I use nano pigment and highly saturated inks without concern. For similar markings, a Japanese pen tends to lay down a narrower line than a Western nib. For example, a Sailor M writes closer to a Western F.

The Parker "51" is an incredible pen with a devoted following of collectors and users. Its reputation is well-deserved as the pens are amazingly reliable, extremely durable, and a joy to use. A "51" aero can be found in the wild after decades of no use and start writing with nothing but a good flush with water. I always have at least 1 Parker "51" as my every day carry. The only disadvantage of the "51" is the routine to clean the pens between swapping inks or taking out of rotation. But if you are going to use it as a consistent writer, the "51" has few peers.

The good news for you is that your 1911 vs 51 dilemma isn't an "either/or" problem but a "which one first." That's up to you to decide as both are excellent pens that will serve you for decades.

Buzz

I have plenty of P51's and know nothing of the Sailor .

I have two P51 Aeros as my everyday work pens [ Grey & Black ] and for some reason I always pull out the black and it writes great.

Ken

I have two 51s (M & F nibs) and a Large Sailor 1911 and they are all three great pens. I love the hooded nib partly because it enables me to get my grip nearer the nib and also because with the nib being hooded, I rarely get ink on my fingers when using the pens. But I also like the Sailor with a M nib which is part way between the M and F Parkers, but not quite as buttery smooth. I suppose it comes down to which I tend to pick up to use as they are all three inked and the answer is usually one of the 51s. They all start first time and rarely dry up if left unused for a period weeks. I would however urge you to try to get one of each over time. The 1911 is certainly a modern classic at a sensible price - mine cost me about £120 - while the 51 is a vintage classic.

Edited by brownargus

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

For your consideration..Parker "51" aerometric filler..old reliable..bulletproof..comes in

variety of finishes..will serve you well during your academic

career and beyond.......................................And Luca..Welcome Aboard!

Enjoy your time here....................................

Fred

I want you to remember that no basxxrd ever won a war.......

George C. Scott as Patton