Pilot Iroshizuku- Asa Gao Changes Color?thoughts?

ime2195

Hi everyone, I have been using fountain pen for a couple months, but this is the first time I run into this problem. I just bought the Pilot Asa-gao bottled ink a few days ago. This ink was absolutely gorgeous the first day I used it. But in the third day, the ink changes color when I write, it was not the same color as it was in the first day anymore, it's very dark and not vibrant anymore,which is very very disappointing. At first I thought maybe because of the light source or something wrong with my eye, but then I filled my other fountain pen(the same brand,same nib as the other pen) with this ink to compare. As it turned out, they look completely different. You guys can look at the picture below to see their differences. Can someone please explain this to me please ? Given that they are the same ink, but why after 3 days, the ink in the pen changes color ?( The picture is taken with iphone, I don't know if it can pick up the difference, but in person they're very noticeable)

Thanks in advance!!

post-122940-0-18841100-1432420889_thumb.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• ime2195

• Frank C

• J85909266

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was the pen completely clean when you inked it? (Sometimes in remains in the feed and it changes the color).

Did the ink get a little dry in the nib? If so, then dipping it in water and writing a few sentences will hopefully start it reflowing the with actual color of the ink.

Other situations may cause this, but those are the first two that pop to my mind.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I use Iroshizuku Asa Gao as my daily ink. I always have at least one pen inked with it, and I have notebooks and journal entries well over two years old with Asa Gao. I haven't noticed what you describe.

Amberleadavis has some good questions for you, but I'd also ask what kind of paper are you using?

Buzz

Yes, the pen that I first used it ( 1st pen) is a new pen that I just bought.

I just tried dipping it in the water but the problem still remained. :(

@Buzz_130: I'm using it on Rhodia paper

I did not expect this to happen because I know Pilot has very good reputation for producing high quality and consistent ink. I also have Pilot Iroshizuku Take-sumi, Ajisai, Kon Peki but all of them worked really well, just like the way I expected it to. But considering what you just said, I think the problem, most likely, is my pen :(

Edited by ime2195

Howdy, I'm writing a letter, but let me give an example or three. All three of these were written with the same ink and the same pen.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2015-Inklings/2015-Inklings/2015-Ink_0301.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I use Murasaki Shikibu from the same series every day, and it definitely darkens over time in the pen, becoming less subtle as the saturation increases. I suppose I prefer the color when the ink is fresh, but I also take pleasure in observing the color as it grades from one shade to another over time.

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2015-Inklings/2015-Inklings/2015-Ink_0298.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/2015-Inklings/2015-Inklings/2015-Ink_0300.jpg

So, here is my point, the ink flow in that particular pen is inconsistent and thus the color looks different. The ink is actually the same color, you are just seeing more or less of it.

The paper matters when you are using inks that are designed to change color (General of the Armies) or IG inks.

Also, remember that nibs / feeds may have ink in them directly from the factory.

Oh, and back to what Buzz said, the same ink can look different on a different paper.

@amberleadavis:I get it now, so maybe the feed already had ink in them,that seem to be the most rational explanation. Thanks a lot !

@ENewton: thank you!

Sometimes a converter can have a less than complete seal, resulting in some water evaporation and causing the ink in the converter to become darker. This happened to my Waterman Kultur and has been discussed in another thread.

Edited by carlos.q

I've noticed that the longer an ink sits in a pen, the properties and color tends to shift. It is what it is. Still, 3 days seems really fast.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

That would be my guess too. Evaporation from the feed or seal or similar.

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

But this problem only happened to my Pilot Asa gao, my other Pilot inks ( Kon peki, Ajisai, Take sumi), all of them works really well .

And FYI, i'm using these inks with Pilot Metropolitan Fine nib.Do you guys think the problems come from this pen?

Amber was displaying her point that ink color can vary in different pens. However, I fully agree that the ink she used is offensively ugly, lol.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I thought we were talking about asa gao, not some outlandish pink

why are we going off-topic?

Amber was displaying her point that ink color can vary in different pens. However, I fully agree that the ink she used is offensively ugly, lol.

There should be a warning, "Caution, Amberlea is about to flood your monitor with Outlandish Pepto-Bismal Pink Ink. Please wear proper OSHA-Approved Eye Protection!"

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

A few thoughts.

A newly filled pen may be wetter than a pen that has been sitting or in use for three days. That might contribute to the perceived change in color. What happens if you empty the pen, flush it, and refill it? Do you get the color you want?

Your picture is a bit confusing. You say the ink gets darker after three days. Your picture shows it getting lighter. The loss of vibrancy seems due to a lighter line.

Pilot Metropolitans with Fine nibs are very fine and relatively dry writers. I've had to adjust the nibs of both of the ones I have to get as wet a line as I like. You might want to do the same.