• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AAAndrew

• Manalto

• Fabienne

• Starguard

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To commemorate the 200th comment on this thread, I have to ask, shouldn't it be "Superb Pen Chest At Giveaway Price of $40"?

Aww, you had to get the 200th, didn't you? :rolleyes:

As for your suggestion, the price is closer to "practically giving it away" in advertising jargon, than it is to "practically throwing it away" which I don't remember every hearing. Or perhaps the price is low enough that you can afford to throw away the pen case should you tire of it?

If anyone is thinking of throwing their chest away, let me know. I'd be happy to rescue it, but I'm afraid shipping would be more than I paid for my original chest.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

AAAndrew, BRILLIANT!!!

Glad I could be of some use. I've enjoyed the chest and just to thank Penbrute, the OP, many times over for posting this. I'm going to have to keep an eye out next year after the holidays to see if lightening can strike twice. But I had better start buying more pens to justify the purchase.

Sounds suspiciously like another recent thread, "I celebrated filling up my pen case by purchasing a pen."

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

OK, sorted!!

I see! I didn't realize I had such power!

"Sorted" and "whilst" always make me chuckle.

Edited by Manalto

James

Finished my interior yesterday. Thanks a million to AAAndrew for his wise and highly practical suggestion of using cardstock and making it into a folded pen tray. It is so much neater than the inserts I was buying (I could never cut them off and make them look professional...they always ended up looking chopped up). Now my pen chest is absolutely perfect, just the way I hoped it would look. I have room for about 2,390 pens now (just joking).

I am also going to use the cardstock for other pen chests and storage I have, really works well.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

I'm so glad this worked for you. I wish I could claim that I came up with it, but I saw it somewhere. If I find the source, I'll link to it.

I found the link. And for those who didn't get this, or would like to create a small tray to fit into the thicker drawers on this box, these are instructions on how to create your own pen trays from card stock. He uses the "concertina" folded paper for the liner.

Edited to add the link

Edited by AAAndrew

-Montaigne

How do you score and fold the paper?

Do you mean score as in mark the intervals, or as in making a groove?

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Score as in press down a groove into the paper. It facilitates cleaner folds.

The video I linked to he uses the screwdriver from his Swiss Army knife. I use the back end of one of the dental tools I use for pen repair. You don't want it going through the paper, just making a groove

-Montaigne

I felt foolish when I posted my question, then more foolish watching the video, which my ipad didn't play the first few times.

Don't mind feeling a litle foolish lying in my hammock listening to Tom Rush and crickets. It was 110 today but beautiful breezes now. Half moon.

Think I let the chest air out a few more days before I get around to folding. hmmm.

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

Hey, congratulations on winning the Pelikan 140! (You'll need a place to store it.)

@Manalto

Thanks for the heads up, I had given up on the Pelikan. I just sent a message to Peter. :)

You are correct, now I need to find a place to store it.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I'm so glad this worked for you. I wish I could claim that I came up with it, but I saw it somewhere. If I find the source, I'll link to it.

I found the link. And for those who didn't get this, or would like to create a small tray to fit into the thicker drawers on this box, these are instructions on how to create your own pen trays from card stock. He uses the "concertina" folded paper for the liner.

Edited to add the link

Andrew, thanks for the link.

I had made my accordian insert without folding, and it was difficult. I think the scoring method will be a lot easier to fold.

I also put a layer of velvet onto the accordian card so the pens are sitting on something that looks nicer that file folders or card stock.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

• 1 month later...

that's the one I got for $40. Crazy.

-Montaigne

Never so cheap in the UK!!

It's the cost of conversion because we drive our tool chests on the left... :rolleyes: