Pens Everyone Seems To Love That You Hate

Uncial

No death threats please. Just remember my loss is your gain.

Parker 51. No, make that all hooded nib pens. Even if they are superb writers.

Agreed. I simply do not like that pen and I suspect it is because I simply do not appreciate it.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thunderpants

• jmccarty3

• inkstainedruth

• TSherbs

I guess this is sort of along the same vein of thought for this subject.

I love fountain pens but for me the WHOLE pen has to go together. This includes the nib. I an partial to the more classic style nib, therefore I have never owned nor do I intend to own a Lamy anything. The nib is ugly to me & spoils the whole appearance of the pen.

Does anyone else feel this way about nibs or is it just me?

Myste

I am that way about nibs as well. One must consider the entire nib but an ugly nib is not going to work from at all.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes.

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

Parker 51, or any other Parker. I just don't get why people love such bad pens...

Them's fightin' words! ;)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I tried one at a pen store. Wonderful nib, but for whatever reason the design just creeped me out.

I think Pilot will love that their pen creeps someone out. :lol:

I have an Aurora Optima. It works perfectly and is incredibly comfortable. But I find it too flashy and rarely use it. I prefer Pelikans and Nakayas. They are sober and workmanlike and simple.

The minute I said this, I took out the Aurora and spent some time with it and fell in love with it a little bit. It really is beautiful and it writes sooo well. So I apologize to my Optima!

In all the pens I've tried, I can only think of two that come close to "hate". The original Noodler's flex and the Jinhao X450.

The Jinhao is too wide and way too heavy to use. It's just a preference thing, nothing against the brand in general.

The Noodlers, on the other hand, gave me so much trouble that I've sworn off ever trying another Noodler's pen.

For me Pilot 823, skipping issue can't be solved.

Add space between tines, problem solved. It seems to happen a lot with Pilots bought directly from Japan.

Anyway, I'd go with Nakaya. I think they look good, but the nib definitely doesn't match the sticker price.

I hesitate to say I hate a pen I haven't USED but I cannot work up the desire for a Vanishing Point NOR the Lamy 2000 (in either finish.)

They are moderate in price & all get fabulous reviews BUT I just don't "like their looks." That is subjective, certainly unfair & judgmental but after purchasing almost every other pen I heard people raving about I don't fall prey to these models. I was not awed by the Pilot 823 & can't imagine why I would love the Vanishing Point. Having now discovered the existence & possible ability to purchase more exciting nibs I would like to try the Pilot 845 so it is nothing against the Pilot brand. Perhaps the Lamy decision is influenced by my only Safari & one Al Star which also failed to "send me."

I can say having grown up in a Sheafer family I was not familiar with the joys of a Parker pen but can say I own more of them now than any other brand. A half dozen 45's, 51's, a 61 with a Premier incoming. So it is not as though I am not able to be open to different "styles" of pens. I have even overcome my aversion to the Targa style & am very happy I bought it. I just don't find any attraction to those two pens.

Lamy 2000.

Too FAT and a bit too heavy for me.

My hand always feel much better after switching back to my lighter slimline pens.

I tried to like it, but after 2 months I gave up.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Everyone seems to love very big pens, like MB 149. I don't. I love the 145.

Everyone seems to love those Parker hooded nibs, like my mother's P21 and my father's P51.I don't. I really love to see the nib.

Everyone seems to love the P45 as a workhorse. I don't. I don't like that "spindle-like" design of the 60's. I prefer other designs like MB 130 or 140 series or Parker Duofold....

Greetings

Sheaffer snorkel.

I have had (still have) a number of these. The worst was one with a broad wet nib. Sent it away twice to be looked at, but it just ran out of ink after a few pages of A4. Useless.

For me Pilot 823, skipping issue can't be solved.

Send it back to Pilot and request a replacement if they can't adjust it to write properly.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

You know I don't think I've come across a pen that I hated. That's not to say I don't have preferences though. As mentioned elsewhere I find the Parker 51 to be historically interesting, functional yet somehow pedestrian and uninspiring. I think I got 4, sold one, gave one away and kept two. They hardly get any use. I prefer the Aurora 88P that sits on my desk at home. Pens I have given away have been those with issues or duplicates, or just ones I don't want to keep anymore. There are several that I have that haven't been inked in ages. I still like them though.

Maybe I am just unsophisticated because I haven't even found a pen yet that I am unable to write with (from an ergonomic perspective), and I like using a dip pen that is essentially a fancy looking stick. <shrug>

All the Chinese pens. Everybody seems to love them because they cost only 50 cents (with free shipping!) and are sometimes not bad writters. I have nothing against that, but I just find them bling bling. And when they are not cheap pens trying to look expensive, they are copy of others design.

Two pens come to mind:

Pilot Custom 74 with M nib: I bought this because of the fabulous reputation of the nib. Alas, my nib does not come close to all those raving reviews: sometimes skips, only writes under a very specific angle, stiff as a nail. I know that to some this is OK, just not for me. I do like its size though.

Sailor 1911 standard with M nib: same thing as with the Pilot.

I do not have the option to have them done by a nibmeister. Besides, I do not think it is OK to accept that nibs are not OK out of the box. These things are not exactly cheap, so yes I do believe that nibs should write smoothly as bought. Immediately.

Both pens feel rather cheap to me too.

I love my Lamy 2000, but I do find the section a little slippery after long use. Lots of you don't like hooded nibs, but I love them. Also I have a rubbish grip (I hate to admit that I hold my FPs more like a ballpoint - too low down!) so hooded nibs stop me getting covered in ink or holding the bottom rim of the section.

I absolutely adore the feel of my #3776, but the nib is just too big, despite being butter smooth. I can't use it for long.

I also seriously dislike the Lamy Safari. I've persevered and bought 3 over the years. I've given them all away eventually. The nibs have all felt scratchy to me (though not the the people I gave them to). The whole pen looks too big and long in my hand and it's very plasticky.

I also love Pilot Decimos. For ages I thought they were really ugly, upside down things, but the reviews drew me in. Now they are my favourite writers (with my Sailor pro gear slim).

I don't like big heavy hulks of pens and find Pelikan souverans quite ugly...sorry, because I've never tried one, due to their high cost, relative to similar pens.

I've been clear in my opinion on the 51 from a love/ hate point of view, but there are plenty of good Parkers - Duofolds, especially the post war Duofold/ Victory series. Televisor (& presumably Challenger) and not to forget the Vacumatics and smaller Parkettes.

No idea why I couldn't get this under the quote.....

Bernardo, on 25 May 2015 - 04:08, said:snapback.png

Parker 51, or any other Parker. I just don't get why people love such bad pens...

Metal sections and I just don't seem to get along. Parker Premier - had a scratchy nib, went back to Parker, came back improved. But the metal section had a seam that hit right where I hold it, so, gone. Also a very smooth writing Lamy Studio with a gold broad nib. My fingers kept sliding down the section as I wrote. Also gone. Third, TWSBI 540 - good nib, good feed, but cracked pretty much everywhere. Finally, any Noodlers pen.

Do like the M800, M200, and M600. :)

Will

-----------------

Will von Dauster

For me, it's anything Schaeffer. I'm not disparaging the brand, but my first three experiences with Schaeffers were horrific.

Two pens come to mind:

Pilot Custom 74 with M nib: I bought this because of the fabulous reputation of the nib. Alas, my nib does not come close to all those raving reviews: sometimes skips, only writes under a very specific angle, stiff as a nail. I know that to some this is OK, just not for me. I do like its size though.

Sailor 1911 standard with M nib: same thing as with the Pilot.

I do not have the option to have them done by a nibmeister. Besides, I do not think it is OK to accept that nibs are not OK out of the box. These things are not exactly cheap, so yes I do believe that nibs should write smoothly as bought. Immediately.

Both pens feel rather cheap to me too.

Send them back in for service to the respective companies. They both should write well OOTB. My Custom 74 absolutely did. I wouldn't have hesitated to send it back if I had an issue with it. I love Pilots, but no company or production run is perfect.

Also try a wetter ink?

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com