Pens Everyone Seems To Love That You Hate

Uncial

+3

This is how I feel when I look at MBs. (Picture stolen from google images). No way I can wield that.

http://www.baltpens.org/Images/BFPSgroup.jpg

That looks like a Sheaffer Connaisseur -- and I think that's Deborah Basel behind the woman wielding it (on the left).

As for the topic -- I don't hate any pens. I love 'em or leave 'em and don't look back.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thunderpants

• jmccarty3

• inkstainedruth

• TSherbs

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like most entry level pens. I didn't Like the Safari, Sport, Preppy or Petit 1. The Metro impressed me with a lot of it's features, writing ability and robustness, but the large step with a sharp edge hurts during writing.

I didn't really start enjoying pens until the $75 to $150 range. It that range, the Vanishing Point stands out as unusable due to the clip.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

• 1 month later...

Any oversized pen. And when I say oversized, I mean bigger than Pelikan M200.

Any gaudy pen.

Basically 90% of the fine writing pens coming on the market today.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

Any oversized pen. And when I say oversized, I mean bigger than Pelikan M200.

Any gaudy pen.

Basically 90% of the fine writing pens coming on the market today.

That's why so many of my pens are vintage. Although I did a mental head count today, and the ratio is actually nearly 50-50 between vintage and modern pens.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

After a few years now of using fountain pens, I find I like all fountain pens! Sure, I like some more than others, but there are none I hate (unless they have an issue and don't write properly)

Even if I come across a cheap one in the dollar store, I am drawn to them. It doesn't mean I will buy it, but I think all fountain pens, irregardless of brand or where they are made, are just interesting writing implements.

Edited by max dog

Hate might be an overstatement... but...

1) Visconti Divina (I own): ok, in this case "hate" is the right term. Why such an ineffective filling system for such a beautiful pen??? Why? It is a captive converter, you get the disadvantages of a converter, but not the advantages (because it cannot be removed from the pen).

2) Visconti Homo Sapiens (I own): just not enthralled by the material... and it tends to deteriorate.

3) Lamy Safari/Al Star (I own): just plain ugly to me.

4) Lamy 2000: just cannot get the fascination for a plain shape and a poorly performing nib.

5) Montblanc 149...: I respect its significance, but just cannot get excited about it.

6) Metropolitan: ok, it is cheap... but with 100usd more you can get a pretty decent Japanese pen with gold nib that will last for life...

7) Pelikans: so many people love them... I find them aesthetically boring.

8) Platinum 3776 (I own one): it is great but.... WHY so small? Give me an extended version that is not the President.

Finally I will mention the Vanishing Point for best hate-love relationship... I have got many but I use them only for short times.

I guess the only thing that would come close to "disappointment" with highly-regarded pens (and the only one we have that we paid a quite a lot for) would be with my beloved Yard O Led standard Viceroy Victorian. IMHO, their "fine" nib isn't anywhere close to what I would call "fine". Their idea of "fine" and mine obviously differ drastically :-). I'd call it definitely right there in the middle of "medium". I usually prefer fines or extra fines for everyday writing, but you can bet that bank that the wider nib on the YOL isn't keeping me from using--and loving--it!

Edited by IrishEyes

"In the end, only kindness matters."

Montblanc. Any Montblanc. Although hate is probably to strong of a word. Because they are good pens. Just not as good as best Lamy or Sailor. But targeted for the luxury market. I think Montblanc is a bit like a Rolex. people who like Rolex are not really into watches. Same goes for MB and FP. IMO of course. And who am I to judge.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

I originally loved my Lamy Safari (it was my very first fountain pen!) but now I'm finding it's just not right for me. That triangular grip is causing me all sorts of grief. I originally thought the triangular grip would be fantastic but I found that as I wrote, I subconsciously shift my fingers to my preferred grip, which is not on the flat sides. :(

Montblanc. Any Montblanc. Although hate is probably to strong of a word. Because they are good pens. Just not as good as best Lamy or Sailor. But targeted for the luxury market. I think Montblanc is a bit like a Rolex. people who like Rolex are not really into watches. Same goes for MB and FP. IMO of course. And who am I to judge.

That is very much wrong on all accounts. Are both bad value? Sure. But, many pen aficionados love Montblanc and many watches aficionados love Rolex.

I have never used a Lamy or Sailor that was as good a pen as any of my Montblanc 144s or 146s. I think a lot of people get put off by the perceived snob appeal of Montblanc. They become anti-juggernaut. I bought their pens before I was aware of the balderdash that surrounds Montblanc. The best pens I have found are Montblanc 144 and 146, Parker 51 and Pelikan Mxxx pens. Some Sheaffers aren't too bad. The Montblanc 149 and Pelikan M1000 proved to be too big for me. All the other pens I have tried require kick starting to get them writing almost all the time, Sailor and Lamy included. It's more tiresome than the snob rhetoric.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Some Sheaffers aren't too bad.

meet me in the alley. after school lets out. i'll fix your wagon.

or squirt ink on you from my snorkel while you stand hopelessly turning your fancy piston knob.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

or squirt ink on you from my snorkel while you stand hopelessly turning your fancy piston knob.

:lticaptd:

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Joking aside. I HATE EVERYTHING about Montblanc the brand, the company, the petite bourgeois semiotics/lifestyle branding BS, the whole shebang. Everything that is, except the actual pens themselves. heh.

I only own one, a boring bone stock early 1990s 146. Scratchy finish, & some brassing.

But it is amazeballs.

Make all the jokes you want about the "precious" resin but the sucker feels great in the hand, perfect balance, is absolutely reliable is just a great pen, writes fantastic. Every time.

I never imagined i would own one. I never thought of myself as a MB person (I guess one doesn't make you that) but I am never selling this pen. Ever. It is the only non-Sheaffer I have said that about. </wink>

Edited by ink-syringe

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

:lticaptd:

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

2) Visconti Homo Sapiens (I own): just not enthralled by the material... and it tends to deteriorate.

I've got two and haven't had a problem with any deterioration. Could you elaborate on your pen's issues?

fpn_1451747045__img_1999-2.jpg

Everyone said the Parker 75 was a great pen. So I got one and had a long love-hate relationship with it until a couple weeks ago. It kept skipping randomly. I finally spent a couple hours flossing between the nib and the collector and flossing, then flossing and polishing the nib. It seems pretty good now. So I guess I can finally love the thing....

Conversely I love, love, love my capillary P61s, yet I know some think they are a tool of the devil ;)

-Bruce