The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Inexpensive Pen Suggestion?

inexpensive

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Chef Boyardee

Chef Boyardee

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2015 - 00:02

Hero 616, best $1.50 I ever invested.

Sponsored Content

#22 Bklyn

Bklyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2015 - 01:53

I am suffering the same problems.

As far as I know, in your geographical location the popular options would be:

Lamy Safari

Parker Frontier

Pilot Metropolitan

Platinum Cool

Platinum Plaisir.

Parker IM

Pilot 78G

Sailor Ace

In my geographical location Lamy is cheaper than Pilot Mr.

Other pens in my location that may be around yours at a decent price:

"Platignum" not Platinum, Studio. Incompatible with most converters and only comes with medium though.

Platignum Vibe if you really want a more aesthetic version.

Then there are Chinese pens like Jinhao, Baoer, Hero etc. I think they're okay if you don't get lemons but if you don't then you're a fortunate guy.

I still need to decide on an inexpensive but functional pen too.

This is a great list. I also discovered that I can get  Noodler's Ahab Flex for $20.00 at Goulet pen. Not a bad deal and if you do not like the nib, you can put in another.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes. 

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

#23 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2015 - 02:55

What about the Nemosine Singularity at $15 or so...comes in many nib sizes from XF to .8 cursive italic, and many finishes, including demonstrator. Thick, lightweight C/C pen, easy to clean.

#24 MKB

MKB

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:06

What about the Nemosine Singularity at $15 or so...comes in many nib sizes from XF to .8 cursive italic, and many finishes, including demonstrator. Thick, lightweight C/C pen, easy to clean.

Yes, fantastic pen. Picked up 2 more yesterday. The only gripe (barrel and cap are both threaded onto section, so turning the cap may loosen the barrel) is easily handled by tightening the barrel-to-section connection more than the cap.

#25 J85909266

J85909266

Fountain Blade

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:57

I've tried a few Chinese pens, and it was a sad affair.

The Lamy Safari and Kaweco Sport are overpriced and disappointing, as well.

If want a pen with a great nib that comes with a converter and is built like a brink wall, just get a Pilot Metropolitan. I know it's boring, but they get pen work done like a boss.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

#26 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2015 - 00:47

Jinhao x500 serves me well.  Check for best price via Ebay.  $4 or $6 with shipping.  

Pre-ink flushing recommended.  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#27 Bklyn

Bklyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:08

I just read up on the Pilot Metropolitan. I bet it is a GREAT pen, a great writer but sadly, the pen is made of metal and can't seem to even hold a metal pen in my hand. It leaves me cold.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes. 

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

#28 bardharlock

bardharlock

Stormin' Mormon

• Member - Gold

• 972 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:12

The section on the Metropolitan is plastic.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

#29 edebill

edebill

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 May 2015 - 23:13

The section on the Metropolitan is plastic.

But also tiny. I just can't hold it comfortably.

The OP wanted something large.  I'd suggest (in addition to the Jinhao 159 that has been talked about so much)  the Airmail 69T/71JT from here:  http://fountainpenre...mailWality.html   They'll be great for trying out inks because they're really easy to clean, and if you're just trying different inks then you're not going to be so concerned with eyedropper burpage.

Airmail/Wality (2 brands, same company) generally come with fairly smooth fine nibs. The transparent barrels will be nice for enjoying the look of your new ink while you try it :)

#30 georgeb

georgeb

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 23:50

Sheaffer No Nonsense

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: inexpensive

Sponsored Content

|