Wancher - Melodies Of Colors Series - Blue Orange Version

fly_us

I couldn't found much information about the Wancher online, beside it is a private-brand owned by Engeika. From what i found, it seems that Engeika is sourcing the pens and materials from all other places and put under his brand name. Anyway, i do not go into details, but jump to the pen now.

I got this Wancher - Melodies of Colors via ebay. The color is blue orange version. This is one of my typical purchasing process: Oh that pen looks nice, put some low bidding amount and go to sleep, next day find out that i have another pen need to be paid. From his website, he put the tag price at $32, and member price is $28. I won it at $22, with free shipping from Japan, so the price is really good for me.

I didn't expect much from the pen of that price, honestly. But it turns out one of a good pen after all.

1. Appearance & Design:

The pen looks good in real life. I like the mix of colors here, very vibrant and lovely. The only thing i don't like is the chrome band from the top of the cap. It looks filmsy and cheap. The clip is tight but usable. This pen is kinda big for me, and on heavy side, not sure about the exact weight, but it is a bit heavier than the Pelikan M215. Compare with my daily writers, the Pelikan 140 and Pelikan M200, you can see it is longer and bigger, so if you prefer small pen, this one is not for you.

The cap is snap-on, and it snaps hard. You need to put some pressure to put it on or remove it. It is a good thing. And it post very well, although i usually not post.

In overall, it is a very eye catching pen, which shouts out: "Hey, look at me! I'm a colorful pen here". But in a good way, of course.

post-122055-0-16994000-1432329414_thumb.jpg

2. Build quality:

The build quality is very good here. The plastic (or arcrylic - i'm not a expert of this) is thick and strong. In my opinion, it could survive some drops, but do not push the limit. The nib section is smooth, so if you have a slippery slip, this might be a problem.

post-122055-0-70152200-1432329415_thumb.jpg
3. Filling system:
Nothing fancy here, typical cartridge/converter. It takes international cartridge, and the including converter is smooth. The build quality of the converter seems better than standard Chinese converters found in my Jinhaos, Dukes or Baoers. It is on par with the converter from my Monteverde Catalina. I didn't fill full because i just want to try the new Chesterfield Antique Copper to see whether i like it or not.
post-122055-0-16713300-1432329417_thumb.jpg
4. Nib and writing experience:
No surprise here, it comes with a typical Iridium Point Germany label nib. There is no size imprint on it, but the line is European M to me. The nib is a hard snail. But don't be fooled by a bland design nib, it delivers the very good writing experience. Smooth, on the wet side without any skipping and hard start, even after uncap for 3-4 minutes. And please forgive my hand writing, i know how bad it is :D.
post-122055-0-96754600-1432329417_thumb.jpg
post-122055-0-74385600-1432329419_thumb.jpg
5. Overall impression:
It is a colorful pen with good building quality, especially when you consider the price tag at $22-28. The delivery time from Japan is around a week, which is very fast in my opinion. If you want something flashy, this is a pen you could consider. It won't replace my Pelikan 140 and M200 as daily writer, but it will stay with my collection.
post-122055-0-03244100-1432329413_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• fly_us

• amk

• mcgeechan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was thinking of getting one of these with a Titanium flex nib, but decided against it after getting mixed reviews of Ti-nibs. The pen seems nicely finished from your pictures. Thanks for sharing with us

Edited by soniknitr

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

I was thinking of getting one of these with a Titanium flex nib, but decided against it after getting mixed reviews of Ti-nibs. The pen seems nicely finished from your pictures. Thanks for sharing with us

Just received another Wancher with Titanium flex nib. The nib is very dry out of the box, need to make some adjustment before it could work as it should be.

I have a few of those Melody of colors pens, I quite like them, some of the colours appear a lot more often so I have picked up 3 of the red/pink ones quite cheaply. Sadly the purple and blue ones I tend to always get outbid on.

This looks quite similar to pens from Airmail/Wality in India. Wonder if the two are related?

For sure this wancher should be made n India or China, but it is very different from Airmail/Wality pens.

I have some of those Wancher, and for smell of the plastic, nib and feeder shape and size, as well as for the clip and rings, and filling system, they are different from airmail products.

I guess both Wancher and Ahab are made at the same place - perhaps Pune.

just google "pune wancher" and you get address and telephone number.

The nib in the image seems Chinese / Taiwanese (they have floral design on their IPG).

Nice review - never got a hand on these FPs - though some Indian sellers do sell them.

I put my savings to test

Lamy & Pilot FPs the Best

No more I even think of the rest

(Preference Fine and Extra Fine Nibs)

Pen is meant for writing - not for looking :-)

I guess both Wancher and Ahab are made at the same place - perhaps Pune.

just google "pune wancher" and you get address and telephone number.

The nib in the image seems Chinese / Taiwanese (they have floral design on their IPG).

Nice review - never got a hand on these FPs - though some Indian sellers do sell them.

Wancher Pens(Pensindia) Pune is a sales office of Engeika Japan. Wancher/Engeika Japan is authorized resellers of Sailor, Pilot & Platinum pens and they manufacture/assemble their own pens/inks in Japan (under Wancher brand) too. The Pune office is responsible for customs payment, sales and services for India region. Raul & Taizo (Engeika) do own these entities.

Although some of the nibs are imported from China/Germany for their Wancher pens :)

I have been buying pens from them over the last few years and their service has been excellent. The Pune office Warehouse usually carries a good stock for the common fountain pens/accessories, with the high-priced LEs (Namiki , Nakaya , Sailor) being sent from Japan whenever there is a order.

Hope this piece of info is useful :)

Regards,

Sonik

Edited by soniknitr

Just received another Wancher with Titanium flex nib. The nib is very dry out of the box, need to make some adjustment before it could work as it should be.

Yes I have heard about it in a lot of cases. I asked Raul (Engeika), he did tell me Ti nibs would not run as wet as steel/gold ones.

Edited by soniknitr