I recently had gone through all my Easterbrooks to decide on which to keep and ended up cleaning and repairing all of them. About a third of my pens had missing or chipped jewels. I was quick to learn that there not any replacement jewels out there.
So I decided to see if I could reproduce some. I started by removing the jewel from a good cap to mold.
Once cap was selected I had to remove the inner cap to expose jewel. I used a tap (5/16-36) I bought to make a Parker Vac filler remover. I checked in a vise a screw on the cap and pulled it off.
I then just took a punch and knocked out the jewel, I sawed the cap in half to get a better look.
I started by glueing the jewel with Arlenes Tacky glue to a plastic ring box. I did these to hold it in place and to keep casting material from seeping in.
I had just the top so I made a mold just for top peace only.
Poured the material over my jewel from the corner so it would flow under the jewel.
It took about 3 hours to dry, then I removed the parts
I put the mold back in the plastic box to hold it tight and I mixed a casting resin and added color and starting making parts.
I let parts dry overnight. I had a problem getting them out, I had to rip mold to get out.
So I used wax on the next batch for mold release
Parts out of mold, right one is new part.
Parts straight out of mold
Sorry for bad photo. This is the complete part. I am going to continue and play with these process. The flat top only I think I can make easily and would be the best bet, just chip away your old jewel glue the new one in place.
When I get back to the project I will update any info. I think there is some potential here. Just making a few parts is expensive. I plan to make a few once I get things right.
Edited by spacecoastpenny, 22 May 2015 - 15:18.