The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Humidity Vs Metropolitan

pilot humid nib leak ink metropolitan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fitz123

fitz123

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2015 - 00:50

Humidity has been high lately, and I've noticed on my daily carrier-Pilot Metropolitan with F nib, that on the squeeze converter, the ink sac  tends to condense and sweat, like a glass of cold water in the sun. I've found that it fills up in the barrel and has to be cleaned every night, after a long day of writing. I know this can be fixed by getting a con-50 or refilling cartridges, just curious what other think.

Also, I've noticed more nib creep and droplets getting in the cap, and that too has to be cleaned out daily. {I use Noodlers Blue}

Has anyone else had this problem in the humidity and heat of more than usual nib creep and slightly leaking in cap?

Thanks,

Fitz

+AMDG+

Sponsored Content

#2 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,130 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2015 - 22:03

I had this problem this week with a Waterman Laureat II and with a Parker Sonnet, both with piston converters.  Also with a Parker 45 with a squeeze converter.  I thought my pens' converters were failing until I read this post about the humidity.  I live in southeast Michigan.  I carried the pens in my shirt pocket.  I had to break them down and clean out the barrels and caps.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#3 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,509 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2015 - 04:10

Hmm.  Haven't used my Metropolitan recently (plus, I got it at Christmastime, and it's been a relatively long winter and a mostly cold spring around here: while we had temps in the 80s F a week or two ago, they're talking frost advisories for southwestern PA for tonight (and north of Interstate 80 they were calling for freeze warnings!  I'm gonna have to watch for this the next time I ink it up, though.  Thanks for the heads up.

Ruth Morrisson aka instainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, humid, nib, leak, ink, metropolitan

Sponsored Content

|