The Rainbow Inked Pens

Fabienne

I have a lot of pens and I have a lot of inks. I love them both. I do wish I could write with 2 different colors at once. I fill up a pen and write a line and then think,"Wow, I could have filled it with Noodler's Army Green." Or "That's nice but I wish I had put in Apache Sunset".

I am seriously considering having a separate pen for each of the major colors. So, for instance, I would put orange in my TWSBI orange 580, and blue in my MB 146 with monotone nib, and only blue in my Lamy Safari, etc.

Is that too OCD? Do you do things like that?

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• Starguard

• Reevers

• Dronak

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not OCD at all! It makes sense, that way when inspiration strikes you'll be ready!

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

I match pen colors to ink colors all the time, and wonder why anybody with more than one color would do any differently.

--

James H. H. Lampert

Professional Dilettante

Posted Image was once a bottle of ink

Inky, Dinky, Thinky, Inky,

Blacky minky, Bottle of ink! -- Edward Lear

I imagine lots of people like some way to keep pen ink colors straight, such as using demonstrators, similar pen body color, and pen association (business like pen has blue/black, etc.).

I keep thinking about how can I easily carry more than 6 pens in my pockets just so I can have more color options on hand.

Pen cases, I've got one that holds 12, but I don't like to keep more than 3 or 4 pens inked at a time, I haven't splurged on any super bright colors (yet!) so for now I put the blue pens with blue ink on one side of the case, and the black ones with black ink on the other side, that way all I have to remember is what nib is on what pen. :)

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

I match pen colors to ink colors all the time, and wonder why anybody with more than one color would do any differently.

I like the way certain pens write with certain inks, so this is my main driver for chosing inks to go in pens. If any combination of pen and ink wrote the same as the next then sure, I guess colour matching would be a way to pair inks with pens.

Matt

I have a lot of pens and I have a lot of inks. I love them both. I do wish I could write with 2 different colors at once. I fill up a pen and write a line and then think,"Wow, I could have filled it with Noodler's Army Green." Or "That's nice but I wish I had put in Apache Sunset".

I am seriously considering having a separate pen for each of the major colors. So, for instance, I would put orange in my TWSBI orange 580, and blue in my MB 146 with monotone nib, and only blue in my Lamy Safari, etc.

Is that too OCD? Do you do things like that?

But of course.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

If you like writing with different colored inks and have enough pens to put a different color ink in each one, go for it. It seems like a reasonable thing to do.

+1

Have red, green, tuquoise, Magenta inks in matching eyedropper pens with transparent barrels.

A lifelong FP user...

My problem is that I haven't got enough pens for all the inks. I mean, just look at my stable of blue inks *alone*.... :rolleyes: You don't expect me to limit myself to just *one* blue ink for the rest of my life, do you? :lol:

On a more serious note: the only pen that so far hasn't seen color variation (for the most part) is the Pelikan M400 Brown Tortoise. It mostly get brown ink for some reason (at the moment I've got Diamine Ochre in it -- but that ink is SORT of brown...).

Some pens do get only one ink, but that's not necessarily color matching so much as behavior matching: for instance, the Konrad Red Mesa Tortoise gets Noodler's El Lawrence, because that combo just "works". But the Poseidon Pearl Konrad gets a variety; it -- unlike the other Konrads I have, though -- is a dry writer so I have to keep track of which inks do well (or not) in it. So, Diamine Presidential Blue didn't work well; Sailor Souten (which I put in the pen yesterday) is better -- but I'm not sure it's *enough* better to merit getting a full bottle.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Yes. You display all the symptoms of OCD and maybe you should seek medical help immediately

OTOH all the money that you spend on a therapist you could spend on more pens and inks. Much more pleasant

-> CRASH<- ->BOOM<--> CRASH<- ->BOOM<--> CRASH<- ->BOOM<-

A pile of pen and ink boxes just crashed on top of me

I'm trapped!

I feel like the pen 'n' ink equivalent of the Collyer Brothers

I do that too, and ended up with cases full of Lamys and twsbis so that color, nib, and inks would all be represented. And coordinated of course.

I like a variety of colors available, so I typically have from 4-10 pens inked up at once.

I sort of try to match inks to pens, but I'm not real strict about it. Mainly, I just want to make sure I keep the selection minimized to the point that I can remember which ink is in each pen.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I too try to generally match the color of the pen to the color of the ink. That makes it easier for me to remember what ink is in each pen.

My "jokers" are black, clear and flighter pens, which are color neutral, so I can put any color into them. These would also be for the inks that I do not have a matching color pen, such as orange.

Here are the ink/colors that I have inked up now:

• Waterman blue
  • PR DCSS blue
  • Waterman black
  • Cross/Pelikan black
  • Sheafer Skrip red
  • PR black cherry
  • Sheaffer Skrip turquoise
  • Waterman green
  • Diamine Sherwood Green
  • Diamine Ultra Green

I have a bunch of inks with no pens...yet. But part of the problem is that I need to manage/limit the number of inked pens. If I do not use the pens, the pens will dry out, and I will loose ink to evaporation.

So for my lesser used inks, I use a dip pen.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I put whatever color of ink in whatever pen I happen to be using. Matching my pen to the color of the ink...nah...I don't match the color of my belt to my shoes either!!

David

For so long as one hundred men remain alive,we shall never under any conditions submit to the

domination of the English. It is not for glory or riches or honours that we fight, but only for liberty, which

no good man will consent to lose but with his life.

With th e exception of black pens, I usually try to match my pens and ink colors as well. However, I usually only have one inked at a time.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I do this too. Except I still can't figure out what to put in my yellow pens. Yellow ink is somewhat terrible for daily writing.

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

I do this too. Except I still can't figure out what to put in my yellow pens. Yellow ink is somewhat terrible for daily writing.

Gold, brown, green.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Someone attempted to understand some of my Pen/Ink Filling Guidelines:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/245296-pen-and-ink-filling-rules-how-do-you-choose-ink-pen-combinations/?p=2671346&do=findComment&comment=2671346

She got some of it right.

Generally, I only use one ink with a given pen. If I want to use a new ink, I buy another pen. I have been accused of having obsessive-compulsive tendencies; I have also been accused of many other things, too.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Matching pen and ink color is really helpful.

Using dip pen for sudden color change is handy.

Demonstrators are also a good solution.

For yellow pens, either warm colors like browns or contrasting purples.

I noticed that there are more fps in warm colors than blue undertones.

Ebonites are all in warm colors, so are many vintage pens.

A constantly updated ink journal is handy to keep track of the content of multiple pens in one color as well as demonstrators.

A mini ink reminder, the size of one of the smaller Rhodia Notepads, listing the content of each pen could be valuable in the pen case.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?