Recommend Me An A5 Sketchbook With Striking Design?

My name is Louise, and I am a sketchbook addict.

By this post, I appeal to the oracles of the paper paraphernalia subforum. I, a lowly newbie to the wonderful world of quality notebooks, humbly ask for advice…

I use notebooks for drawing and sketching. Therefore it is important to me that the notebook has blank pages. Some people seem fine with drawing on dotted paper, but I cannot distract from it. So it has to be all blank. I like very white paper, but a creamy (like Leuchtturm for instance) is also fine.

I like notebooks approximately the size of A5; it’s small enough to carry around with ease, and big enough for me to make decent drawrings. Also, the notebook must be able to lie flat. This probably means stitched binding. I am not a fan of spiral binders.

I should also mention that I am based in Denmark, and am looking for notebooks that are available online within the EU. Notebooks from Japan/Asia are OK (most parcels seem to sail through customs without issue), but US-only notebooks are as of now a no-go for me, due to the almost certain customs charges.

It is imperative that the above conditions are met, but what is also important to me is the design of the notebook. I like notebooks that are unusual, eye-catching and … well, have a plain awesome design. I like Leuchtturm because they come in so many lovely colours; I like Nuuna because they have very bold design, and I like Paperblanks for their gorgeous covers.

In short, I guess I am looking for awesome, blank notebooks with fairly white paper and an interesting design, that I can use for drawing with my fountain pens. I have recently fallen in love with Nuuna, but am sure there are many other awesome notebooks out there. So please share your nuggets with me :)

I own and like these notebooks:

Nuuna - These are my favourite at the moment. I love the design, and the paper is gorgeous. Does not have inside pocket, bookmarks or anything fancy, but I don’t really miss it. Because the design is awesome! The only downside is that while I do not experience any bleed through or feathering, shading does not show up for me. Shading is much more evident in …

Leuchtturm 1917. I love the way the ink behaves on the paper, no feathering, bleed through or other misbehavings, only a bit of ghosting. Beautiful ink shading! I also love how practical it is. To me, Leuchtturm is what Moleskine could have been (and possibly once was). I love the bookmark, pocket, and elastic band. However, I do wish the paper was a bit thicker. To me, my Leuchtturms call more for writing than drawing and sketching. I should mention that I have the regular blank Leuchtturm-notebooks, I believe they have 90 gsm paper.

Paperblanks - Love the design here as well, and the paper is pretty sweet. Reminds me a lot of the Munken paper in Nuuna, except it’s more creamy than bright white. Has bookmark and inner pocket, but the Paperblanks designs that I like have these hinge closures, which I find a little impractical. They do not always stay closed, and the hinges kind of ‘stick out’ on the underside of the book, making it such that the entire back of the cover touches the surface of the table (I hope that makes sense!). There’s also something about these books that causes me to not use them very often. I think it’s something about them being so thick, I don’t like the drawing surface being so elevated from the table. I cannot rest my hand/wrist/arm properly. But ooo, they are so pretty!

Extra bonus, not mandatory:

- Inside pocket

- Elastic band to keep book shut

- Bookmark string

And ah, if someone also know of a notebook with bleed proof marker paper in it, I am very interested in hearing about it. :) I would love a sketchbook that I could use my Copic markers in, without bleed through all over the place. :) I know this is not relevant for this board, but it seems there are quite a few very good artists in here, that might know of something. :)

Final notes: I have looked at Rhodia notebooks, and am aware they have an impeccable reputation. However, I am afraid I will find the paper too yellow, and I am not very fond of their cover designs. The webbies in different colours look good, but I do not like the orange elastic band.

Thank you for reading, and any suggestions and ideas are very welcome. I know that many people ask about recommendations for notebooks and sketchbooks, but the answers I have read have not quite struck a nerve with me.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• migo984

• FountainPenBibliophile

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I would have immediately recommended Nuuna; I love their designs too. But you know them already.

Have you looked at Fabriano? Not all their paper would be suitable, but some of their notebooks are great for sketching.

http://fabrianoboutique.eu

Verba volant, scripta manent

Hello Louise!

I too was going to recommend Nuuna but you beat me to the punch.

Have you tried Bomo Art (http://www.bomoart.com)? They are located in Budapest. They have some very unique designs and come in various sizes including A5 with the blank pages like you require.

Clairefontaine has also come out with some new sketchbooks in the A5 size that are book bound. I have only seen them from Notemaker (http://www.notemaker.com.au/clairefontaine-goldline-book-bound-portrait-a5-15x21cm-sketchbook?default=352). This is Australia though.

I hope one or both of these options help you!

FPB

Well I would have immediately recommended Nuuna; I love their designs too. But you know them already.

Have you looked at Fabriano? Not all their paper would be suitable, but some of their notebooks are great for sketching.

http://fabrianoboutique.eu

Thank you for your reply. :) These Fabrianos look very cute! And the prices look very reasonable. I will be trying those out. Also, has Fabriano really made paper since 1264? Or am I reading something wrong on their website? Amazing :)

Hello Louise!

I too was going to recommend Nuuna but you beat me to the punch.

Have you tried Bomo Art (http://www.bomoart.com)? They are located in Budapest. They have some very unique designs and come in various sizes including A5 with the blank pages like you require.

Clairefontaine has also come out with some new sketchbooks in the A5 size that are book bound. I have only seen them from Notemaker (http://www.notemaker.com.au/clairefontaine-goldline-book-bound-portrait-a5-15x21cm-sketchbook?default=352). This is Australia though.

I hope one or both of these options help you!

FPB

Thank you as well for the recommendations. Thoso Bomo Art sketchbooks are amazing! I love the steampunky feel to them (particularly the hot air balloons and the Zodiac). I also like that you can customise them by choosing print and binder colour. I'll be bringing home a couple of those as well! I see they have the notebook journals with blank pages as well, so I will probably get one of those, and a sketchbook. The Clairefontaine ones look interesting as well. More mute in design, but on the other hand they have Clairefontaine paper, which I would love to try out.

Thank you to both of you for the recommendations! :D It is greatly appreciated.