Montblanc Twilight Blue, Waterman Mysterious Blue, Parker Blue Black

dneal

There's a topic about the new MB Blue Hour / Twilight Blue over in the MB forum. It looked interesting, so I bought a couple of bottles. When I added it to my running comparo of blue inks, and getting ready to do a review; I discovered it's so close to Waterman Mysterious Blue / Parker Blue Black as to be indistinguishable.

Can you identify the MB?

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/roomdog/Ink/Comparison_zpsyczgpcxr.jpeg

Me either, if I didn't know. Save yourself some money and buy the Waterman / Parker.

Answer is here

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dneal

• swanjun

• inkstainedruth

• EclecticCollector

Wow. I would not have been able to tell them apart.

I have a bottle of Waterman Mysterious Blue. It's well behaved (and one of the tester inks I use for vintage pens). But it's very pen and paper dependent. Sometimes it looks like your right hand exemplars, sometimes the left hand ones. And in one instance I had someone insist that it was *green*. Even though I knew what the ink in the pen was.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Instead of multiple passes with a swab, I use the method above to see the range of the ink. The sample on the right is as wet as the ink can get, laid down with a dip pen, and left to dry. The sample on the left is put down in the same way, but immediately blotted with a paper towel.

A dry pen will lean more to the left, and a wet pen to the right. A nib that does a good job shading will show the range from left to right.

To my eyes, on my monitor, the Twilight Blue is distinctly less yellow than the other two, though the difference is much less pronounced in the wet samples.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the comparison.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thank you for making me blow off the dust to my Waterman's Blue Black and, surprisingly, fall for it again.

(although I will NEVR call it a blue-black :) )

They look really close, but I still want that Twilight Blue... (confession of an addict)

Me, too. But I'll probably only get one bottle of it. :)

Me, too. But I'll probably only get one bottle of it. :)

I got a bottle of Leonardo Red Chalk, and wish I had bought more. JFK Navy Blue has really grown on me, so I got a second bottle. I liked the swab of Twilight Blue, so went ahead and got two (so I wouldn't have the hassle of getting another bottle). As luck would have it, I wish I only bought one...

I got a bottle of Leonardo Red Chalk, and wish I had bought more. JFK Navy Blue has really grown on me, so I got a second bottle. I liked the swab of Twilight Blue, so went ahead and got two (so I wouldn't have the hassle of getting another bottle). As luck would have it, I wish I only bought one...

Heh. Good to know! Sometimes I do buy 2-3 upfront, but for the Leonardo and JFK I also only have one each.

• 2 weeks later...

The Twilight Blue has great red/orange sheen, though, and the others don't. Check Attika's posts in https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/282096-dont-just-tell-us-about-the-pen-youre-using-show-us-2015/page-107

11325469_825674194186795_898268867_n.jpg

Photo by attika89

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe