Favorite Fountain Pens Under $15

AndWhoDisguisedAs

Picked up a 10 pack of HERO 616 and can't stand them. Not that they don't write well, I'm just having a dickens of a time filling them (I think I need to stick to pistons from now on).

I've heard of people having trouble with filling Hero 616s before. I'm not sure what the issue is, but I think it's got something to do with the filling technique.

You can fill them with the pressbar, but you can take the whole pressbar/enclosure thing off and just squeeze the sac directly, and that's easier (actually there are several cheap Chinese pens with squeeze fillers like this). I try to squeeze the whole sac flat, and multiple squeezes can help.

I haven't noticed this in 616s, but with some squeeze fillers, waiting several seconds for the sac to reexpand completely is necessary.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3l3phant

• impossiblebird

• uemuraw

• Cyber6

Baoer 388

Jinhao x450

Jinhao 159 (not my personal favorite, as it's a bit too fat for me, but aside from that it's great)

Pilot Varsity (merely an ok writing experience, but super cheap and incredibly reliable)

Jinhao 1035 - This one is a thin pen with a tiger-stripe-ish finish and a hooded nib. It has been really impressing me with the writing quality. Unfortunately, I only have one, and I haven't been able to find any place that has any more.

You can fill them with the pressbar, but you can take the whole pressbar/enclosure thing off and just squeeze the sac directly, and that's easier (actually there are several cheap Chinese pens with squeeze fillers like this). I try to squeeze the whole sac flat, and multiple squeezes can help.

I haven't noticed this in 616s, but with some squeeze fillers, waiting several seconds for the sac to reexpand completely is necessary.

It's funny - I tried with the bar, without the bar, squeezing slowly and even something I saw on YouTube about blowing into the pen when it's closed. I asked my wife - who is not only much smarter but much more dexterous than I - if she could do it but no luck there, either. We get ink in, but only about a third of the sac. Ah well. My Rosetta Explorer should be here tomorrow :)

Jinhao 1035 - This one is a thin pen with a tiger-stripe-ish finish and a hooded nib. It has been really impressing me with the writing quality. Unfortunately, I only have one, and I haven't been able to find any place that has any more.

Any pics?. Can't seem to find a pic online.

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

It's funny - I tried with the bar, without the bar, squeezing slowly and even something I saw on YouTube about blowing into the pen when it's closed. I asked my wife - who is not only much smarter but much more dexterous than I - if she could do it but no luck there, either. We get ink in, but only about a third of the sac. Ah well. My Rosetta Explorer should be here tomorrow :)

I usually take the metallic covering off and squeeze the sac which could cause more damage to the converter by accident. Oh well, I can say some hero 616 pens gave me bad experiences.

Airmail 69T - $4

Wality 71 JT - $5

Camlin 45 - $2

the above are the street prices in India (compare the so called 'Free International shipping" offers!!)

Pilot - ED - $5

Pelikan - future

Inoxcrom - no name

Reynolds - can't ID it

Creeks N Creeks

All above write well and one of them is in pocket when going to work.

Regards

Subramoniam

I admit I'm a sucker for a deal. I've tried buying more expensive writers (and love my Waterman Phileas and what now must be a vintage Lamy originally purchased in 1990-something or other) but I have been disappointed with every more expensive writer I have purchased such as the TWSBI 580 Demonstrator (which I'm happy to sell along with two TWSBI ink bottles). My favorite cheapie writers include:

- the Jin Hao 599. I have one in Fine and Extra Fine. Just great.

- Hero 616 but as other have attested to on this site, there is a quality control issue. The first one I bought is terrific, the second, less so.

- the Neomosine Singuilarity - have one in Medium and Fine, partial to the Fine

- the Platinum Preppy - in both Medium and Fine, I prefer the Fine, but both nibs are terrific. I have a handful of these writers and love how easily they can be turned into eyedroppers

- not a big fan of the Pilot Metropolitan, I found it too skinny or the Jin Hao 599 was too thick for me

But enough about me, what are your favorite inexpensive fountain pens?

Thanks everyone!

Hero 616 and 359. Hands-down. I just got a bunch of the 359 'Kakuno' colors with their transparent sections.

Then, the Preppys! And Pilot 78G. And my four Nemos. I'm going off metal pens for the most part.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

2nd hand - Waterman Hemisphere from a charity shop for £5.

New pens - Platinum Preppy at £2.99.

Sorry. I meant to say, I think the Jinhao x750 is too thick. Even with a new Fine nib from Goulet, it has never written well for me.

I am a BIG FAN on the Jinhao 599's. I own two - one Fine and Extra Fine. They're terrific.

Everyone's feedback is amazing. I cant wait to try some of your suggestions!

Edited by AndWhoDisguisedAs

My experience with Chinese pens has been abysmal. I can't recommend them to anyone.

Honestly, if you want to try a FP, buy a Pilot Metropolitan. It's the only real value out there, in my opinion. The nibs are so good and so consistent. The construction is tank-like, and the fit and finish is brilliant.

Don't waste your time with the other options.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I picked up the Rosetta Explorer ("Rosetta Explorer "Best $15 Fountain Pen in the World") and within a day the metal loop on the cap won't stay on. It's too bad because I like the nib. Going to return it and try a Pilot Metropolitan (wish Amazon had one with fine or extra fine point. Prime shipping is the best :))

The Metropolitan isn't made with EF nibs. However, the Japanese Fine on a Pilot is more narrow than most European EF nibs.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

Pilot Metropolitan. The M and F both write well and super smooth. Won't even pick up my Preppy anymore because it is horribly scratchy in comparison.