Lose Some (Lots Really), Win Some... Kinda

Cryptos

I don't have a great deal of luck with our auction site of necessity. Mainly I get outbid, or shipping requires the resources of Aristotle Onassis, or sellers just don't want to let me have them! Occasionally I get lucky and find I've won something nice. More often the nice things come from the nice people on here.

Anyway, during my break last night - when I almost got sucked into THIS - I saw a Parker 45 nearing the last few hours of its auction with a single bidder at $12.50 (from the UK). I dunno why but I threw on $13 and went to bed. When I woke up I found that I had won :rolleyes:

Okay, so it's a Parker 45. I didn't need one. Why did I bid? A mystery. Anyway, on inspection of the advert it looks like an Arrow in blue. Further reading shows that it is in fact a Deluxe in blue. The only difference I can see between the CT (Arrow) and Deluxe is the colour of the trim - chrome versus gold. Oh, and it looks to have a gold nib.

I think $13 is pretty reasonable at the end of the day.

What do you reckon?

Edited by Cardboard_Tube

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cryptos

• inkstainedruth

• ian1964

• fly_us

I don't have a great deal of luck with our auction site of necessity. Mainly I get outbid, or shipping requires the resources of Aristotle Onassis, or sellers just don't want to let me have them! Occasionally I get lucky and find I've won something nice. More often the nice things come from the nice people on here.

Anyway, during my break last night - when I almost got sucked into THIS - I saw a Parker 45 nearing the last few hours of its auction with a single bidder at $12.50 (from the UK). I dunno why but I threw on $13 and went to bed. When I woke up I found that I had won :rolleyes:

Okay, so it's a Parker 45. I didn't need one. Why did I bid? A mystery. Anyway, on inspection of the advert it looks like an Arrow in blue. Further reading shows that it is in fact a Deluxe in blue. The only difference I can see between the CT (Arrow) and Deluxe is the colour of the trim - chrome versus gold. Oh, and it looks to have a gold nib.

I think $13 is pretty reasonable at the end of the day.

What do you reckon?

Sound like my typical purchasing process. Found a good looking pen, put in lowest possible amount and go to bed, wake up with "Oh, there is one more thing i need to pay".

For $13, why's bother? :lticaptd:

Edited by fly_us

I received a Parker 45 as part of a bundle...no real description or photos but I was bidding for the Duofolds so took little notice, and then I won. Well, what a nice surprise it is. 14k Gold nib and in mint condition and writes very well. It had an old cartridge inside which I cleaned and refilled with a syringe. I really like it and now would have definitely paid 13 Pounds for it let alone $13.00. :)

Awww man sometimes I wish I had such luck :lol:

When I go to search for something, I can't find a deal, and when I don't, people snap deals up...

Grrrrrr :angry:

Anyhow, congrats on your pen CT, write to me with it kay! :D

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this little old 45 turned up today. It's in great shape. As I am at school I dipped the nib in water and it had clearly not been cleaned in a while as there was ink. I noticed it still had an empty cartridge installed, so I guess that explains it. Anyway, as there was a bit of ink I tried to gently write with it. Hmmm, not at all what I expected. A closer inspection of the nib shows that it is designated with a "Y". Had to go and look that up but it seems this is a fine oblique. I don't know about that. Feels more like a medium oblique to me. Definitely oblique though!

And gold... and, if you're following this GClef, springy too!

Will try and get some pics/writing samples up soonish.

Oblique nib? Awesome! Nice deal you got yourself. Of course, you know the drill around here: pix or it didn't happen....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That's a great deal. If you don't like the nib with how little you paid for that pen, you find a replacement nib on the cheap and swap them out in seconds. Or swap them between your different Parker 45s. A very good deal indeed.

Buzz

Well done! I've managed to acquire some nice pens by knowing just a little bit more than the seller (like how it matters that a Waterman nib has "New York" stamped on it).

Okay, here it is. Not that exciting but def for real (as they say down the 'hood, apparently)

fpn_1433050681__p45_of2.jpg

fpn_1433050732__p45_of1.jpg

Not *exciting*? Surely you jest. I have a black GT Deluxe with a 14K M nib, and a burgundy with a somewhat borked F nib (the pictures on the listing didn't show that the tipping was gone from one nib. :angry: Blue with an oblique nib? Sounds pretty dang exciting to me....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: BTW -- in case you hadn't read between the lines, I'm TOTALLY jealous of you at this point....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think it's an exciting pen -- getting such a good looking, iconic (sort of) pen for $13 is very exciting :thumbup:

I'm not a collector. I don't even know why I put a bid on. Perhaps it was a reflex knee jerk kind of thing. There are 18 vintage pens on my desk (and a scattering of Pilot 78s and Chinese things) of which about half get used. On the one hand this is a bit of a waste and the unused ones should be shown the door, on the other hand they are all interesting in one way or another thus justifying keeping. Sooner or later I will come down firmly on one side of this equation.

And there is an Estie J and a Geha 725 still in transit - yeah, I know, but what can you do?