The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Got The Blues?

ink blue ink

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,359 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2015 - 11:55

Take a look at the following thread in the Inky Thoughts forum:

http://www.fountainp...thoughts/page-1

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Sponsored Content

#42 DanceOfLight

DanceOfLight

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2015 - 20:23

I use Pelikan 4001 "Königs Blau", cheaper by the litre, safe for demonstrators, wet, washable and crystal clear , it's no fancy nancy, high priced guff, just does its job and goes into my work-horse M215 Lozenge and for long writing sessions into TWSBI 7xx Clear demonstrator. Can't go wrong with it.

#43 warblerick

warblerick

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2015 - 21:36

Take a look at Diamine Sapphire blue.

Yes, agree with Diamine Sapphire. It has become my favorite blue ink, in regular rotation in at least one pen always. Sargasso Sea is nice too, but not as an everyday, all day blue for me. I am still looking for that perfect blue for me, but Sapphire is IT right now.

#44 shedberg

shedberg

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2015 - 19:56

The first blue ink I ever bought was Pilot Iroshizuku Asa Gao. I've bought samples and tried MANY other blue inks since then, but nothing comes close to Asa Gao. It's my perfect blue.

Pilot Custom 823, Pelikan M600, Platinum 3776 Century (x2), Pelikan 400NN, Sailor 1911L, Pilot Elite 95s, TWSBI Vac 700, Noodler's Neponset, Hero 9018.

#45 thatotherguy1

thatotherguy1

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 01:36

I didn't like Baystate Blue- it looked almost purple to me.

However, I am in love with Liberty's Elysium. Flows well, water resistant, nice shading, and it POPS off the page while being business acceptable. It's my favorite ink by far.

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

#46 Bklyn

Bklyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 May 2015 - 02:56

I use Pelikan 4001 "Königs Blau", cheaper by the litre, safe for demonstrators, wet, washable and crystal clear , it's no fancy nancy, high priced guff, just does its job and goes into my work-horse M215 Lozenge and for long writing sessions into TWSBI 7xx Clear demonstrator. Can't go wrong with it.

That sounds like a GREAT ink. I must check it out. Thanks

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes. 

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

#47 lancecreeks

lancecreeks

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 May 2015 - 03:52

Iroshizuku blues are saturated yet well-behaved. Good balance on all performance fronts, just pick the shade you like... personally I like Tsuki-yo and Shin-kai but if you like some pop then Asa-gao and Kon-peki might do it for you. 

#48 VivienR

VivienR

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,234 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2015 - 19:47

Despite being not a huge blue fan, but I really like Diamine Asa Blue and Florida Blue. I think both are really beautiful blue. Also like J. Herbin Eclat de Saphire, but its lighter than the two mentioned Diamine ink.

#49 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 May 2015 - 21:22

I like Private Reserve DC SuperShow blue.

But in my limited experience, it needs a pen that is on the wet side for the color to show best.

The color looks weak out of a dry pen.

What caught my eye with this ink is, it it BLUE.  I compared it to my other blue ink (Waterman Florida/Serenity blue), and realized the Waterman blue ink look purple.  I guess the blue dye wasn't dark enough, so they added purple to make it darker.

I also like Diamine Midnight, for a DARK blue, instead of using blue-black.

I use lever-fill/sac, piston and cartridge/converter pens.  My only decision point about which pen I use with an ink is, how easy or difficult will it be to clean ink X out of pen Y.  Some pens (like the Parker 51) are a real pain to clean. 

The cartridge/converter pen is arguably more flexible.  With a converter, it is like a mini piston filler.  And if you need to travel w/o an ink bottle, you can switch to cartridges.  You can also use an ink syringe to refill the cartridge, then in the case of a Parker you will have more ink than the Parker converter.

Edited by ac12, 28 May 2015 - 21:24.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#50 Alohamora

Alohamora

Inkoholic

• Member - Gold

• 876 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2015 - 00:11

Noodler's Liberty's Elysium.

PR Electric DC Blue is my favorite dark blue for sure. Liberty's Elysium is an awesome vibrant blue

However, I am in love with Liberty's Elysium. Flows well, water resistant, nice shading, and it POPS off the page while being business acceptable. It's my favorite ink by far.

One more vote for Liberty's Elysium here. 

It's tied with the legendary (discontinued and impossible to find) Penman Sapphire as one of my two favorite blues. 

PR American blue might be next in line. 

#51 J85909266

J85909266

Fountain Blade

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2015 - 00:19

Blasphemy!

10854252_1114613148555891_83702721556233

Now, there are some parts of the letters that may look a bit purple, but that is just the slight red sheen from the Tomoe River Paper.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

#52 Barkingpig

Barkingpig

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:35

I just purchased & received the "Legendary Parker Penman Sapphire" which in a broad nibbed Parker 61 made me see what the "fuss was about.  I also had a broad nibbed 51 inked with Private Reserve American Blue & was amazed @ the similarity in color from similar broad nibbed pens.  The shading is MUCH more intense on the Sapphire but the American Blue is certainly close in color.  Sure a lot of difference in cost but I am not complaining because I couldn't stand "NOT seeing for myself."  And three days later my pen is still flowing & has NOT destructed yet.  I have a feeling it probably had some Penman ink @ some time previously.

#53 delano

delano

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:04

I am afraid you are going to get a list as daunting  as the variety of blue inks out there.

I think the sampler route is the one to take.

#54 Bklyn

Bklyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:19

I think Bay State Blue is one everyone should try, at least once. It is a startlingly bright blue. It is hard to live with, very hard, but is a great colour.

As for Diamine Sapphire Blue, I like it, but it does seem to feather & bleed a bit on cheaper papers. I don't know what it does on more expensive paper, as I have no experience of that.

Regards,

Richard.

Just ordered my Bay State Blue this AM. Lets see what happens. I also did a lot of reading on Noodlers Ink. Fascinating information out there.

Anyone like Ray Bradbury? Please read "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair" if you have about 12 minutes. 

You will not forget this wonderful gem that is largely obscure and sadly, forgotten. http://bit.ly/1DZtL4g

#55 Bklyn

Bklyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:20

I use both. And I LOVE the Levenger bottles! For a bright blue that isn't turquoise in that line try Skies of Blue.

Just finished up a Skies of Blue. Wonderful ink.

#56 Bklyn

Bklyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 May 2015 - 02:23

Sounds like a GREAT ink. That is my next purchase.

#57 thatotherguy1

thatotherguy1

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 00:46

Blasphemy!

Now, there are some parts of the letters that may look a bit purple, but that is just the slight red sheen from the Tomoe River Paper.

Do keep in mind that I used my one inking of BSB before I gave the remainder of my sample to a friend in a VERY VERY wet Jinhao with a fine Jowo nib. The deepest, darkest shading you've seen in your BSB writing would probably be roughly equivalent to ALL of my writing with that pen- it was that wet. A true gusher. Also, I used it as a daily ink for a bit and I have to do quite a bit of my writing (most of it actually) on rather absorbent paper- thus making the inks I use seem more saturated than they really are. The only writing on quality paper was the writing sample I did with a saturated feed (I had just filled the pen) in my Rhodia ink journal. I could still tell it was a blue, but it most definitely had a purple look to it.

Quick funny story on the topic... the friend I had given the BSB to was using it thinking it was a different ink (I think he said he thought it was Liberty's Elysium at the time- he hadn't tried LE yet so he didn't know how different they really look) and when he went to flush the pen he did it over a white porcelain sink. It stained. Apparently he was able to get it out with a liberal application of elbow grease and scrubbing. Moral of the story- if you use BSB, make sure to flush your pen over a sink that either won't stain or one you don't care about staining.

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

#58 Dronak

Dronak

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:46

I am afraid you are going to get a list as daunting  as the variety of blue inks out there.

I think the sampler route is the one to take.

That's how I'm using this thread.  I'm thinking about getting some ink samples to start trying out bottled ink options, but there do seem to be lots of choices in the blue area.  While I could just pick whatever looks good in writing samples online, this thread is giving me some ideas on what others tend to like based on experience.  That should help narrow down my choices, at least somewhat.  Thanks to everyone for their input!

#59 cambookpro

cambookpro

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 May 2015 - 14:43

I think Bay State Blue is one everyone should try, at least once. It is a startlingly bright blue. It is hard to live with, very hard, but is a great colour.

As for Diamine Sapphire Blue, I like it, but it does seem to feather & bleed a bit on cheaper papers. I don't know what it does on more expensive paper, as I have no experience of that.

Regards,

Richard.

Do you know where you can buy Noodler's BSB - a bottle or sample - in the UK (I see you're in England)?

Would love to try it, but can never find it anywhere.

Parker 75, Ingenuity, Premier, Sonnet, Urban | Pelikan M400 | TWSBI Diamond 580 | Visconti Rembrandt

Currently inked: Diamine Apple Glory (Rembrandt), Pelikan 4001 Turquoise (M400), Lamy Black (Diamond 580)

#60 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,245 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:00

Been testing loads of blues and blue-blacks, in case this helps:

17666496073_27a12cbcc1_c.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, blue ink

Sponsored Content