Franklin Christoph Model 20 Marietta: My Stealth Pen

mmg122

I've just received my new Franklin Christoph Model 20 Marietta with a music nib. The pen is still listed at IPO prices but will soon be receiving a price increase. It only comes in black at this time but FC announced that new colors will be coming soon. The nib I chose is a factory ground SS Music Nib in black...hence my stealth pen. It comes in a burgundy colored leather single pen pouch with two short international cartridges and a Schmidt style converter. The cap is a slip cap which functions very well for closing the pen or posting. There are no threads on the section or barrel making for a lovely sleek appearance to the body of the pen. The pen is light weight but feels very sturdy in the hand. My experience with FC pens is that their quality control is above reproach and this pen certainly lives up to that.

After thoroughly cleaning the nib for factory oil residue, I inked my "Stealth Marietta" up with FC's recently discontinued Dark Denim via the converter. It put down a beautiful thick (1.9mm) line from the get go without hard starts or skips. The nib is incredibly smooth. If you don't like wide nibs, this is definitely not the nib for you. FC has a huge variety of factory and Masayamu ground nibs to chose from and in my experience write first time, every time. As others have commented before, if you are dissatisfied in any way with your Franklin Christoph purchase, they have a wonderful customer service department who will fix the problem quickly and without hassle.

In closing, I love this pen and look forward to seeing what colors they add to the Marietta line. My photos were taken with my iPhone...hope they do this pen justice.

post-36725-0-24138900-1431884476_thumb.jpg

post-36725-0-06739000-1431884489_thumb.jpg

post-36725-0-54695500-1431884515_thumb.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mmg122

• NobleDel

• J85909266

• mudman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Indeed they do. I thought an all black pen would be pretty awesome...and it is.

That's a beautiful pen I need to get a Franklin Christoph pen. After all, they do have "FC" on the top!

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

FC is a really great company to do business with and they bend over backward to make your experience a good one. Highly recommended.

And, as you say...it says FC on the end of every cap. What's not to like.

Parnesh...I grabbed some pens closest at hand for the comparison shots. If there is any specific pen you'd like me to compare it with, let me know and I will do so if I have it. My understanding is that the Model 19 is a significantly larger pen than the Model 20 Marietta.

post-36725-0-01908600-1431955449_thumb.jpg

post-36725-0-35851000-1431955483_thumb.jpg

Parnesh...I grabbed some pens closest at hand for the comparison shots. If there is any specific pen you'd like me to compare it with, let me know and I will do so if I have it. My understanding is that the Model 19 is a significantly larger pen than the Model 20 Marietta.

Thanks. Very helpful! Assuming it feels very similar to a Safari/AlStar. It think this is a better size for everyday.

Edit: Does it post? Well?

Edited by parnesh

NobleDel...yes it is interchangeable. All their nibs are screw in nibs and replacement or additional nibs in all styles, including Masayamu ground nibs are available.

Your stealth music nib lays down a lovely broad line. I Picked up a Model 20 Marietta at IPO with a Masuyama SS needlepoint. Writes like a dream and the FC company people are sticklers for quality and good old fashioned customer service. Enjoy :)

Edited by neptuneisblue

Will do Neptune. FC certainly practices what is called "moral capitalism"...practicing old fashioned values while making a reasonable and responsible profit. I look forward to continuing to do business with them and to see what innovations they come up with in the future. There was a rumor a while back that they were considering developing a piston filler. That would be pretty cool.

Thanks for checking out my review.

Are other nib sizes available in black? I only see the music nib on the website, which is a bit too broad for me.

Fountain pens forever and forever a hundred years fountain pens, all day long forever, forever a hundred times, over and over Fountain Pen Network Adventures dot com!

- Joe

I don't think so, J. The Music nib is the only one I am aware of in black and it is quite wide...1.9mm.

Thanks Orange25 and Mudman. It is really a great pen and I can't recommend it enough. Thanks for stopping by.

Great review. I have huge handwriting and I love stubs/italics so I've been eyeing this nib for a while. I really want to order a FC as a milestone gift, I just can't make up my mind which model I want.