The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Curb Your Omas Blue

omas blue waterman florida blue waterman serenity blue ink flow wet bleed-through gusher ink mixing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 16:52

I don't know whether I received a bad bottle of Omas Blue last year.  All I know is that I've owned two bottles of Omas Blue, and the second one was the worst gusher imaginable.  It's misleading to call the two inks by the same name.  Diluting it with Waterman Florida Blue fixed it.  (WFB never looked better.  But I digress.)

I tried a 2:1 mix, Omas over WFB, but that was pushing it.  The flow was still too heavy: too much partial bleed-through with too many pens on too many papers.  At 1:1, every pen/nib I owned could handle it.

If this seems strange, lucky you.  It means you didn't buy this stuff, whatever it was.  In any case, read on.  (If the image colors on your monitor differ from my descriptions, heed my descriptions.  Carry on.)

fpn_1431881227__001c.jpg

fpn_1431880246__002c.jpg

fpn_1431880065__003c.jpg

fpn_1431879027__004b.jpg

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

round-postcard-exc.png

Sponsored Content

#2 rickygene

rickygene

Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:51

Thanks Bookman. I think everyone should consider a bottle of Waterman Florida Blue in their ink cupboard. I find the colour a bit boring but it's properties make it an excellent mixing ink and one for testing pens.

#3 Bookman

Bookman

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 18:57

Your welcome.  I'm not a big fan of Waterman Florida Blue, but I always have it in stock.  And most of my pens get a week-long run of it (undiluted) every now and again, like changing the oil every 5,000 miles.  Or a high-colonic enema.

By the way, I just got my third bottle of Omas Blue.  I'm putting it through its paces on several papers using four pens.  So far, it is only a slight improvement on the gusher that was Omas Blue, Bottle Two, purchased last summer.  Bottle Three is still among the most free-flowing inks I've ever owned, and I don't mean that as a compliment.  Quite different from the well-behaved bait-and-switch ink I'd gotten in Bottle One, bought in 2013.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

round-postcard-exc.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: omas blue, waterman florida blue, waterman serenity blue, ink flow, wet, bleed-through, gusher, ink mixing

Sponsored Content

|