Visconti Double Broad Nib

Davros

I have been seized with a fever to try a double broad. Can anyone weigh in on Visconti? I have heard some concerns about quality control, but I don't have any of their pens.

Any suggested models or feedback on how the BB writes would be most appreciated. (My bank account would like it if you could talk me out of this urge.)

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Davros

• Ghost Plane

• StrawberryJam

• Jd16

I have a double broad and it's an excellent nib: extremely wet, soft, and large. Not recommended for regular writing. I have a comparison here and here. There are occasional hard starts and the tines sometimes don't line up properly (though a quick squeeze or flex sorts it out).

Off-topic, but I'm looking to swap a medium Visconti pd nib for a broad. Does anyone have suggestions where I might find other users looking to trade? Have posted on reddit but afraid I don't qualify to post in the FPN Classifieds. Cheers

Thanks! That's very helpful.

You're only 18 posts out from a Classified ad. You might hang out a bit longer and then post when you achieve gold status. Fpgeeks forums might be another option.

They're absolute paintbrushes. I've slowly pruned them from my collection in favor of the 1.3 stubs, but never had a bad one. They made for nice floaty writing at a great pace, so if you write a lot, you'll love 'em. :wub: The line width is similar to the stub, but there's less definition.

Thanks. I have only had a few stubs I liked, and never for just writing. Actually a paintbrush sounds great - I think I will go pull the trigger.

Dav, you will enjoy looking at all the pretty sheen and shading from your inks once you get the BB. :)

Current Wishlist:

Visconti, Visconti, and...more Visconti! (And some ST Duponts too). (Ok fine, getting on the Omas and Montblanc trains now too. Toot toot.) (And maybe on the Montegrappa one too, but only for the Miyas.)

Yeah, that's definitely a factor! I have been doing a ton of ink testing, and sometimes I feel like the broad isn't quite enough oomph. And is there a pen on earth wet enough for Diamine Registrar's to make me happy?

(Also, I just go through phases - and seem to be using extremes now. I'm also considering a needlepoint, or was, before I spent all my money on the Opera Club Cherry Juice.)

Davros, if it's just a double broad you want and not specifically a Visconti, you might consider trying a Kaweco Sport series pen which can be had for as little as $30. They have a very nice BB and their feeds definitely keep up with their nibs.

And if a "paint brush" appeals to you.................the Franklin Christophe Music nib is also nice! I had the Broad Italic stub & felt it less than what I wanted & ordered the Music nib "after market" & switched them . I have enjoyed using it since it arrived.

I have a Visconti 23k Pd BB nib ground to a stub and it is just sublime. Probably my favorite nib! I can't remember who ground it, but even if you don't like the BB, it stubs well... :)

Davros, if it's just a double broad you want and not specifically a Visconti, you might consider trying a Kaweco Sport series pen which can be had for as little as $30. They have a very nice BB and their feeds definitely keep up with their nibs.

Thanks! I have a Kaweco BB. It's really dry and has some startup issues that I haven't been able to remedy. Probably just an unfortunate lemon. Their medium actually writes wetter and broader than my BB.

I do have the Christoph music nib, too. It has been great, but stubs don't work well for me as normal writing pens. (Maybe because I am a lefty, or maybe there's some other issue - they're fine, but I prefer rounded nibs for most things.) I use it for titling things and playing with. If I don't use the BB much, I wilL keep the possibility of another bold wet stub in mind though.

I suspect you'll love the BB. The ex love interest was a left-handed overwriter and adored my bigger nibs for both English and Farsi/Arabic. He was partial to my scented Herbin inks off such large nibs as he could actually smell the scents. Never uncapped one of my pens without taking a sniff to see what scent I might have loaded. :happycloud9:

www.BethTreadway.com

I think a Visconti BB would be wonderful! I have a B on my Opera Master Demo and love it. Wow -- a BB would be a trowel!

• 7 years later...

I love my "Double Broad" . I feel it is  double broad in width and at the same time architect nib in thickness and profile. My most wet paint brush ever.