What Is The Chance Of Getting A Bad Nib In A Sailor Pro Gear?

financialwar

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• financialwar

• Calabria

• SujiCorp12345

• gregamckinney

Where exactly have you been hearing alot of bad reputation about Sailor nibs? The writing sample looks fine to me- what is the issue about it?

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Where exactly have you been hearing alot of bad reputation about Sailor nibs? The writing sample looks fine to me- what is the issue about it?

like everywhere.

That sample looks fine to you? Where exactly you've been looking at. The top line only is from Sailor. The rest is from Pelikan. The top line's ink's darkness and distribution is not even. Maybe it's the seller's writing.

Edited by financialwar

like everywhere.

That sample looks fine to you? Where exactly you've been looking at. The top line only is from Sailor. The rest is from Pelikan. The top line's ink's darkness and distribution is not even. Maybe it's the seller's writing.

For some people (including myself) the uneveness of the ink distribution is a desired trait called shading (this is dependent on the ink and paper used as well).

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

I have had nothing but success (literally 6/6 or 7/7 great nibs out of the box) with Sailor nibs.

In addition to the (for many) popularity of shading, the paper and ink is going to make a huge difference in how two samples look next two each other on the same page.

I certainly haven't heard about a bad reputation of Sailor nibs "like everywhere." In fact at the Seattle Pen meeting today, several of us were discussing that of modern nibs, Sailor were the best OOTB nibs.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

I've got a demo version with a B nib and the KOP nib feels much like the 149 M counterpart it resembles if less springy and more slidy makes sense.

You're new to the board, so you aren't yet familiar with the contingent who could find fault with perfection itself. Sailor nibs are some of the best.

The effect on that ink is indeed the highly sought after shading effect and not a flaw in the nib. Ask questions of the sellers and get additional pictures if necessary. We aren't eBay. The only buyer protection you have is PayPal and your knowledge of the seller. The purpose of this board is pen talk and the classifieds are an add on so people can do a little commerce with people they know.

If you're not comfortable, don't buy. This is a good place to educate yourself and learn who to listen to and who complains to hear themselves talk.

Financialwar,

There is something to be said for diligent research. Based on your posts it is clear you know very little about fountain pens, which is fine. We all started out with zero knowledge about them at some point.

What isn't fine is showing up to a wine tasting party and shouting "This one tastes like butt!" after every glass.

Please feel free to peruse this site, and many others, and increase your general knowledge on the topic of fine writing instruments before shouting "This one writes like butt!" in every single post you make.

The variations in coloration in the writing sample is a function of the nib, paper, and ink. It is more pronounced with broader nibs and ink formulations with a proclivity to deposit more color in the wetter parts of the stroke. It shows off the coloration of the ink and highlights the fact that it was hand written with a fine writing instrument and not a Bic ballpoint.

There are people, like me, who don't like Sailor's regular nibs. I find they can be toothy because of the way Sailor grinds a foot on them. But for some people that makes them smoother. There's a lot of disagreement about Sailor nibs that's been expressed here.

I agree that the the writing sample looks fine. But it's not easy to judge smoothness of the nib just from a writing sample.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

You could find a topic like that for almost every single brand out there. I have been perfectly happy with most of my Sailor pens - I did have to adjust one or two, and they do seem to write dry out of the box. Then again, I have a Pilot Custom Grandee that just won't stop skipping, as well as a Pelikan nib that can't be saved.

However, from my own personal experience, the chance of getting a bad nib - an actual bad nib that is, not just one that doesn't suit you in particular doesn't seem that high. Of course, if you're buying your pen off Ebay, where you can get the lowest prices, then I would probably lower my expectations a little. No guarantees when you buy from there.

You are unlikely to find a bad Sailor nib unless you happen to be a real unlucky person. And you should do a lot more research about pens and nibs, before you go around throwing out opinions about poor quality of nibs, or about Nakayas being nothing but being overpriced pieces of lacquer. You come off as a boor and a fool.

like everywhere.

It's the ink. Google Diamine Autumn Oak and click "images". I see nothing wrong with that nib.

"Everybody"? I see one guy with an axe to grind.

You are unlikely to find a bad Sailor nib unless you happen to be a real unlucky person. And you should do a lot more research about pens and nibs, before you go around throwing out opinions about poor quality of nibs, or about Nakayas being nothing but being overpriced pieces of lacquer. You come off as a boor and a fool.

Well, I don't know about the last sentence; but the rest is spot on.

I am not about to go find every thread that has had an issue with sailor nibs, But I can tell you from experience that I have had such issues. The biggest of these issues is the scratch nib that occur mainly in the pens other than those with 21 carat nibs. So far I have really liked every 21 carat sailor nib I have tried.

Unfortunately I did not get into the discussion of the sailor nibs at the Seattle pen club because I would have voiced a different opinion and placed Pilot as having the best OOTB nibs and definitely not Sailor.

What Would The Flying Spaghetti Monster Do?

I have 5 Sailor pens, all of them are some form of pro gear, I'm still looking for a profit large at the right style and price point. But they are some of my favorite pens. I have had to adjust the ink flow out of a few of them but that's a minor 30 second process. I don't expect a pen nib to be tailored to my liking when it comes out of the box though. Just like I don't expect a suit to fit me off the rack. It's just not the way these things work really, nor should it. I think one of the great things about fountain pens is the amount of customizing you can do with a nib.

Another thought is that there seems to be a multitude of people who can't stand TWSBI pens. Between my girlfriend and I we have 4 of those and never had a problem with any of them, no breaking, no nib issues, they just always work and always work well.

So I guess it just depends on your personal desires as to what you expect from a fountain pen.

Modern and Vintage Pens for sale at Nonlinear Pens and you can find me on Pinterest at Nonlinear.

I have yet to have a bad experience with Sailor nibs. If you're worried, you can buy direct from John Mottishaw. He'll test and adjust every nib he sells to make sure it writes perfectly.

Tamara

Personally, I love Sailor fountain pens and the consistency of their beautiful nibs.

Keep in mind that reviews (positive or negative) on any given pen will be subjective. Take the plunge, but purchase from a vendor with a fair return policy in the event that the pen is not to your liking.

If you're still hesitant, forego the purchase or purchase more affordable Sailor pens to test the waters, so to speak.

Edited by haruka337

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Some people may think that the Sailor feedback (especially in F and EF) is undesirable (the M doesn't have that). I personally CRAVE the amount of feedback - it's like driving a European car vs an American one. It's a Japanese version of Fahrvergnügen - the joy of penmanship vs the ease of a ballpoint-like feel. All new Pelikans have the ballpoint feel, so clearly there's a demographics out there that would object to Sailor's kind of sophistication. Anyway - the Pilot IMO is somewhat smoother if that's your cup of tea!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

PS Sailor nibs are also 21k gold - and they wear in like a good leather shoe. I love the way a new nib slowly adapts to my hand over about 6 months which is unique to this particular nib in my experience. Like a good shoe, I get it a size smaller, knowing it will expand a bit over time.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang