Serious Journal Writers

Charles Skinner

This morning, I wrote about a disturbing semi-dream I had just as I was becoming awake. Disturbing. Likely caused by a family gathering that did not go well for me yesterday. I will be "down" all day, most likely. C. S.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainpenlady

• Charles Skinner

• AAAndrew

• Manalto

One thing I do, though, and it always gets a rise when I say it, is that I trash my journals when they are filled. They usually don't contain things I want to keep for posterity.

I love this. I just acquired an empty journal and am thinking about how to start. One thing I wondered about was what to do with it after it's filled. As obvious as the option of trashing is, it didn't occur to me. (Granted, it was only a passing thought.) I suppose if something really magical happens in the journal I can tear out the page or photocopy it.

I've never written in a journal and would like to try it. This thread is valuable to me because it's helping me get my bearings. One thing I've come to realize is that I don't want to write about negative things. I know about the thinking that says "Get it out of your system," "blow off steam," etc. For me, it only fortifies the memory and intensity of that negative response. Years ago, I used to walk my dog on NY's Upper West Side. Whenever I would bump into a particular person, we'd share stories of indignation (complain) about how we were treated that day, rude shop owners, oblivious tourists hogging the sidewalk, etc. I found that "blowing off steam" had the opposite effect. It made me more conscious of the transgressions of others and my reaction to them stronger. It gave those experiences power, rather than the desired goal, to dissipate them. So, for me at least, I plan to ac-cen-tu-ate the positive. Life will provide plenty of bumps in the road; better to move on than put it in reverse and drive over that bump a couple more times. This is not the same as trying to figure out, on paper, how to deal with a difficult situation. That requires wisdom, which is a positive thing.

Does anyone have advice or suggestions on how to begin my journaling? I know now that I'm going to toss them afterwards, which is quite liberating. Thanks, delano.

ETA: I'm sorry if I hijacked this thread with my question. Should I start another?

Edited by Manalto

James

I wrote about 1970 and my first duty station and my first experience as a sentry . . . at night . . . in a blizzard.

Wait! Would that be a journal entry or just a true story? How current must a story be to qualify as a journal entry?

Since journals are used for various purposes, you define how current the story qualifies in terms of an entry. Some people utilize a journal to begin, continue of flush out something for a memoir, or simply in order to not forget something they feel important to them for instance. What are the experiences, memories or events which have already happened but those which have already occurred and memorable enough for us to record. I have been keeping a journal for most of my life and they have taken on various roles in my development, emotional growth, life experiences. I say, go with it. Tell your truth, your story. As I recall, the 70s for me were not bad. '72 entered High School; '76 graduated from High School; '79 entered the Military. So, remember and record how you want to do so, never know what it becomes after you do. Enjoy

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Months ago, I tossed about four or more boxes of journals kept for the last 40 years. Felt cathartic and freeing. No regrets. As I read what you have written, formally having been a New Yorker, I fully comprehend. How about putting the month, date, year on the title page? You can return to it once you have completed the final entry and give it an end date. Leave the first page blank, usually, it is the page which is most uncomfortable to write upon since it is connected to the title page. Next, start with what you intend for this journal to become for you. Start with something uplifting and a reminder when you open your journal, it is to include only positive entries. I have one of two journals keeping now which is simply full of affirmations, inspirations. I also collect them on one of my Facebook pages, only those things which resonate with my spirit. I can write them down if I choose, or simply log in and reread them. I leave you with some examples, and hopes that something written speaks to you. Good for you to decide and declare your journal will not hold anything which does not deserve to be there.

Today, I am content to be me.

May you always find the courage to travel your own journey, in whatever way feels right for you.

Every word I write is a breath that keeps me alive!

Atticus

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

I love this...

I found that "blowing off steam" had the opposite effect. It made me more conscious of the transgressions of others and my reaction to them stronger. It gave those experiences power, rather than the desired goal, to dissipate them....

Does anyone have advice or suggestions on how to begin my journaling? I know now that I'm going to toss them afterwards, which is quite liberating. Thanks, delano.

ETA: I'm sorry if I hijacked this thread with my question. Should I start another?

Some people it works the opposite. My wife likes to "blow off steam" by talking about the negative stuff. Once's she's let it out, it's mostly gone, or at least handled for the time being. Whatever works for you.

As for starting. I also had trouble figuring out how to start, so I started with the Joe Friday approach, just the facts. As I started to write more days I started to want to see a little more about each day, sometimes. Sometimes it's enough to just list the events of the day. When I was younger, I tried to start a journal and, as so many things are when a teenager, it because so over-wrought and "significant" that it was just no longer fun. I felt obligated to add something meaningful, and when I didn't feel like deeply delving into my emotions, I didn't write anything. So, my advice, for what it's worth, is to start slow and keep expectations low. You'll hit your stride, whatever that may be.

edited for typo

Edited by AAAndrew

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

The Joe Friday approach is a good suggestion, Andrew. Thanks. "Keep expectations low" is a wise approach too, that I consciously apply to many situations in life, because being pleasantly surprised by better-than-you-expected is a good feeling.

James

Some people it works the opposite. My wife likes to "blow off steam" by talking about the negative stuff. Once's she's let it out, it's mostly gone, or at least handled for the time being. Whatever works for you.

As for starting. I also had trouble figuring out how to start, so I started with the Joe Friday approach, just the facts. As I started to write more days I started to want to see a little more about each day, sometimes. Sometimes it's enough to just list the events of the day. When I was younger, I tried to start a journal and, as so many things are when a teenager, it because so over-wrought and "significant" that it was just no longer fun. I felt obligated to add something meaningful, and when I didn't feel like deeply delving into my emotions, I didn't write anything. So, my advice, for what it's worth, is to start slow and keep expectations low. You'll hit your stride, whatever that may be.

edited for typo

I so agree with you! Having kept a journal since I was a pre-teen. I have found setting my own rules is best. Some days, I may only write the date and a word. some days, pages. Some days entries have little to do with the day, rather something all together different, something which resonates, or something I want to remember. I am also a list maker. Some days, my accomplishment and my entries are the "To Do" chores which were done or carried over. I began journaling during the Civil Rights Movement, while living in Harlem. Believe It was after Dr. King was assassinated and the response of those around me as a child. I started keeping a journal as cathartic to express and put down what I failed to understand. So, a journal is what the person keeping it makes if and makes of it. I have never ceased keeping a journal, sometimes more than one. Right now, I have two going, one for affirmations, inspirations, one for everything else. I am never without my journal. It keeps me centered emotionally. Yes, once you hit your stride, you keep a journal as much as you breath. Now the breaths taken for living is up to you.

This glitch was not my fault folks. My internet service was doing something really strange and now I see the results. Apologies, I am trying to clean up as much as possible the repeats. :blush:

:rolleyes:

:wallbash:

I love this. I just acquired an empty journal and am thinking about how to start. One thing I wondered about was what to do with it after it's filled. As obvious as the option of trashing is, it didn't occur to me. (Granted, it was only a passing thought.) I suppose if something really magical happens in the journal I can tear out the page or photocopy it.

I've never written in a journal and would like to try it. This thread is valuable to me because it's helping me get my bearings. One thing I've come to realize is that I don't want to write about negative things. I know about the thinking that says "Get it out of your system," "blow off steam," etc. For me, it only fortifies the memory and intensity of that negative response. Years ago, I used to walk my dog on NY's Upper West Side. Whenever I would bump into a particular person, we'd share stories of indignation (complain) about how we were treated that day, rude shop owners, oblivious tourists hogging the sidewalk, etc. I found that "blowing off steam" had the opposite effect. It made me more conscious of the transgressions of others and my reaction to them stronger. It gave those experiences power, rather than the desired goal, to dissipate them. So, for me at least, I plan to ac-cen-tu-ate the positive. Life will provide plenty of bumps in the road; better to move on than put it in reverse and drive over that bump a couple more times. This is not the same as trying to figure out, on paper, how to deal with a difficult situation. That requires wisdom, which is a positive thing.

No, that's not hijacking the thread at all, IMO. Because it really refers back to the original poster's question about what to write about.

As to your concerns about how to start, if you want to concentrate on writing only positive thoughts, why not do a version of the "Three Good Things from Your Day" thread? Maybe expanding on them as to why they were "good things".

My journals are, as I've said before, are my "daily core dump". It's whatever comes out of my brain and out my hand on any given morning. Some days are vents, sometimes it's trying to remember/analyze dreams I had the night before, sometimes it's reminiscing and chronicling things I did the day before; sometimes it's as simple as making to do lists. Today it was considering whether I will have time when I'm up in Toronto to go to pen shops (particularly Wonder Pens, because I saw in a thread yesterday that they have a couple of Noodler's inks: I want to have them line up all their Noodler's black inks -- including their exclusive one -- and have them walk me through all the pros and cons of each one; so one of the things I was doing was trying to remember what their website said they carried).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

No, that's not hijacking the thread at all, IMO. Because it really refers back to the original poster's question about what to write about.

As to your concerns about how to start, if you want to concentrate on writing only positive thoughts, why not do a version of the "Three Good Things from Your Day" thread? Maybe expanding on them as to why they were "good things".

My journals are, as I've said before, are my "daily core dump". It's whatever comes out of my brain and out my hand on any given morning. Some days are vents, sometimes it's trying to remember/analyze dreams I had the night before, sometimes it's reminiscing and chronicling things I did the day before; sometimes it's as simple as making to do lists. Today it was considering whether I will have time when I'm up in Toronto to go to pen shops (particularly Wonder Pens, because I saw in a thread yesterday that they have a couple of Noodler's inks: I want to have them line up all their Noodler's black inks -- including their exclusive one -- and have them walk me through all the pros and cons of each one; so one of the things I was doing was trying to remember what their website said they carried).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Good thoughts - in more ways than one. I like the "3 things" thread a lot.

Good luck in Toronto; Noodlers has so many black inks!

James

Ranting works for me. It's like, 'Ahhhh, there. Done.' Catharsis, perhaps.

But I also write dreams, ideas, boring daily stuff, not-so-boring daily stuff (like the Great Squirrel Attack), weather reports, oh, and I make little weather doodles, too. Smiley sun face. Raincloud. You know.

Sometimes just abstract doodles, for the fun of watching lines grow.

Separate journals for gardening, philosophy, and ink tests. And a little one (Field Notes) for pen and ink sales, exchanges, and PIFs. That one's almost full.

Lately (thanks to Paddler!) I have a separate journal for Memories. Before I forget them. I'm on the second one. The first one covered ages 7-11. Yes, I know. But I don't own the franchise!

The next Memory Way will probably take me through high school.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

If you are married, do you "let" your wife, --- or husband ---- read your journals? I told me first wife (God rest her soul) that there is nothing in my journals that I would not want her to read, but, BUT, that being said, ---- I told her that I would rather she not read them. I believe she honored my request, except for one time, ---- the reason for which I will not go into, --- but it was understandable.

My second wife has honored my request, I believe. Again, the "world would not come to an end if she did --- but I would rather she not read them.

Your thoughts on this subject?

C.

Fairly early in our marriage I started a journal just when we were still trying to negotiate how to exist together as two different individuals. That's the nice way to put it. She was hurt by what she read when she found the journal. Now, I hadn't specifically told her not to read it, but whatever, the damage is done.

I didn't start another until recently and there's nothing in it that she can't read. And this year was our 23rd anniversary, so I guess we figured it out, for the most part. Including not writing stuff down. :D

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

If you are married, do you "let" your wife, --- or husband ---- read your journals? I told me first wife (God rest her soul) that there is nothing in my journals that I would not want her to read, but, BUT, that being said, ---- I told her that I would rather she not read them. I believe she honored my request, except for one time, ---- the reason for which I will not go into, --- but it was understandable.

My second wife has honored my request, I believe. Again, the "world would not come to an end if she did --- but I would rather she not read them.

Your thoughts on this subject?

C.

First, Charles, I insist that anyone reading your post inject a thick Irish brogue into the phrase "I told me first wife." (I know it's a typo, but it's one that gave me a smile.)

A journal that will potentially be read by someone else is, in effect, being censored. Whether or not that diminishes its value or, if it does, if that diminished worth is acceptable, is up to the individual. I wouldn't bother writing a journal if I knew someone were figuratively looking over my shoulder. Asking your spouse not to read it and trusting that your request will be honored sounds healthier to me.

Edited by Manalto

James

My policy is... this is my brain dump, and if you choose to read it, then you are responsible for your own reaction. You can ask me anything, and I will answer, but if you read something in my notebooks, don't expect me to respond well to an interrogation.

Also, if you want access to my brain dump, quid pro quo, baby.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Manalto: what you posted on this thread can be transcribed into your journal. Thats one way to start. My posts in various discussions often end up in my journals.

• 1 month later...

Much of what I write couldn't be transcribed here. Not because I write in my native language, French, but because it is about topics that are not allowed in this forum, such as considerations on current events, social, economical, political... notes on or about what I am reading (books, articles, etc)... what I am thinking about... I do not transcribe most of what I write in my blog either, because I don't think I have very much to add to the noise that is "published" online...

I also maintain five journals :

• the first is more personal (a diary of some sort, but not the "I did this today", or "this is what happened in my life today", or "this is what somebody did today and here is my take on it", but rather more personal thoughts about life, observations of the meaning of actions, where I feel I stand in such and such contexts, conjectures). Moleskine, square lined hard cover notebook.
  • the second is for notes about what I described above, for future development, articles and topics I am studying, thoughts about these topics. Moleskine, square-lined reporter, sometimes hard cover, sometimes soft.
  • the third is graphic: drawings (ink, graphite, charcoal, pastel). Two formats, a third format coming next, with thicker paper.
  • the fourth, which I keep at home, unless I'm off to the public library, is about the 5000 years old history of writing, a topic I've been studying for the past six years. Rhodia A4 Black Cahier, Staplebound, Seyes ruling.
  • fifth is for travel diary, mostly about impressions, thoughts, and reporting. Various formats.

There is so much to write about. I find that writing as if somebody will read what I write some day, whether it be tomorrow or next year or in ten years, with a very different background, will relate to what I have to say, forces me to think more carefully, and strive to write more clearly. It helps to clarify ideas, think before I write.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually started with this 31 day challenge, I really enjoyed it. Just simple things to get the creative thoughts flowing. After that, you will already have a month under your belt so just keep going.

http://www.artofmanliness.com/2014/01/01/jumpstart-your-journaling-a-31-day-challenge/

Edited by Kdos15