Pelikan M200 Review (Video)

a.zy.lee

I'd be really grateful if you had a look at my Pelikan M200 video review. I put a lot of time and effort into it.

Comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Edited by a.zy.lee

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a.zy.lee

• mmg122

• ex-bugonaut

• BillPorter

Hi from another rare Malaysian xD

The video is awesome! You have a very nice handwriting!
I am not a video editor of any sorts and have never done one but i think overlapping the audio tracks would reduce the awkward silence between two scenes. However, that's just me.

It's a really nice video and I would love to watch more, so please make more videos:)

Really good review! I think you covered all the bases, including the "fast writing" part that is often left out in the more academic oriented reviews. I appreciate that.

That's a great video.

I like the silence with out the music instead you hear the nib sing while you write.

I have a m200 and m205 both are wet writers with minor baby bottom. I am disappointed with the cheapness feel of it too. My twsbi 540 AL is cheaper and It writes better with the jowo nib.

Hope see more of your videos !

That's a great video.

I like the silence with out the music instead you hear the nib sing while you write.

I have a m200 and m205 both are wet writers with minor baby bottom. I am disappointed with the cheapness feel of it too. My twsbi 540 AL is cheaper and It writes better with the jowo nib.

Hope see more of your videos !

Subscribe to my channel to be notified of new videos! You can also visit the channel to see my other videos.

Very nicely produced & photographed.And you can really hear the sound of the nib on the paper.

Hi a.zy.lee!

Great video review. You certainly put your M200 through the paces and answered any questions I had about this pen. Hope you'll continue to do these video reviews.

Nice review! I liked almost everything about the video editing except the fact that some of the written comments were on the screen so briefly as to be barely readable, at least by me. If I were to suggest one thing to work on with the videos, it would be to try a couple of different fonts and font sizes and to leave the segments with captions on screen for at least 6-7 seconds.

Overall, your review makes it less likely that I will buy this model of Pelikan. So I found the review quite valuable and thank you for taking the time to do it.

Edited by BillPorter

I enjoyed it, I saw it in my subscriptions feed a day or two ago. It's a little strange I never thought a video review with text only would work well but it really did I have an M200 and I think that video gave a far better impression of the pen then the conventional video review format with some one talking about the pen.

My M200 wrote terribly initially and I was tempted to send it back however I played about the nib and ended up springing the tines in the process and in some how in further playing about with the nib I managed to some how get to write amazingly turning a dry fine nib into a wet fine to medium nib that writes like nothing else. It's not my favourite pen just because it's a little small and the design is a little too conservative however after getting it to write well it has never left my top 5 pens.

Good job I look forward to more of your content!

I have to thank you for the review. I was thinking to buy a B nib for my M200, but the writing samples I've seen did not convince me. After your review it's on my urgent list.

I also had some issues with the text. I would like to have had some voiceover -- you could have done it without detracting from the sound of the nib on paper.

One other thing I would point out -- I'm not sure the comment about the shading of the ink is apropos of a pen review. An ink review, yes, certainly; but Apache Sunset is generally known to be a heavy shader (unless your target audience is to a non-FP person, or someone just starting out).

On the plus side, the description of the issue you had with baby's bottom on the nib was extremely useful (I'm starting to suspect something similar with my M200 Café Crème).

Thanks for posting the link.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Many thanks to everyone for the compliments and criticisms! I have re-edited the video to improve on it. I removed the hideous font, changed text colour and re-wrote some comments. I also changed the transitions and made them quicker so the text can be seen longer. Unfortunately, I couldn't do anything about overlapping the audio, as I can only use an editing app on my phone. I cannot change the font size either, for the same same reason. I'll be removing the original video if the new one surpasses it.

@inkstainedruth: I wrote "incredible shading" so I wouldn't have to write "the quick brown fox..." for the third time. Other reviewers make brief comments on the ink they're using, so I did the same.

Are we allowed to post video reviews now without adding the entire text of the review? The rules still state we must include the transcript.

"In this world... you must be oh, so smart, or oh, so pleasant. Well for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

Are we allowed to post video reviews now without adding the entire text of the review? The rules still state we must include the transcript.

The rules say reviews must be at least partially text-based - and that video reviews will be moved to the relevant brand or regional forum. So I think it's Ok to post here - but the moderators may choose to move it eventually.

Good review, by the way - haven't seen the edited version yet, but the original looked pretty good, apart from the text issues that others have mentioned.

Thank you for taking the time to produce such an informative review. I prefer what you have done to most of the videos I have seen on youtube. Your review hit all of the highlights of the pen rather than focusing on a few likes and dislikes, and you afforded plenty of opportunities for viewers to see how the pen performs.

Good video is a lot of work (in another life I used to develop 3D-animated computer system service documentation), but done right it's very useful.

Comments on the second version:

- I liked the text font/style used in the first version better; guess you can't please everyone.

- The timing of the physical dimensions is still pretty short. Does your editing tool let you insert stretch frames? (Take a single frame and insert it for x additional seconds.) The downside being that your soundtrack would become more complicated, needing something to fill in the dead air.

Editing video with sound is kind of like eating peanuts; you can just do one thing, any change affects other parts of the presentation.

https://youtu.be/Y_tTW11Mf78

New video! I spent many hours on this, mostly because the program I use to edit is garbage. There's a typo or two in the video that I don't want to fix, as that would risk losing every subtitle and transition. That's how bad the program is. The pen's alright, though.

The link to the FPN topic:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/291167-faber-castell-ambition-review-video/?fromsearch=1

Edited by a.zy.lee

That's a really excellent review. Thank you. You really put the nib through its paces and showed off its capabilities. Too bad abt the baby bottoms. If it weren't for that what a great writer. All mine are soft like that too. Right now I have a factory italic nib in mine. Initially it had a distinct sweet spot and ink flow was finicky at times, but now after a lot of use it flows well with nice line variation. Great pens!

PS. Will have to try some Apache sunset in mine. That italic and that ink should make for an awesome combo too..

Edited by max dog