The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Daniel Defoe Vs Gaius Maecenas

limited edition

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Sidd

Sidd

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:36

Hi All, 

This is my first post on the forums but I've been reading the posts since a long time! Really nice information available & friendly members! 

I'm planning to buy my first montblanc & i've shortlisted my options to 2 : Daniel Defoe & Gaius Maecenas. 

I'm taking my time to choose because I'll not be buying another montblanc for some years after buying one of these. 

I think both pens are beautiful. (My girlfriend says that the Gaius is a bit feminine, especially the white laquer) 

Any suggestions / opinions between the two pens? 

Sponsored Content

#2 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:02

New those pens are at very different price levels. Are you comparing new pens or used or some combination? If I recall the Gaius had a sword for the clip. Not too feminine.

I don't have a strong feeling about either, but the Defoe will always be easier to get later.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

#3 Sidd

Sidd

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:06

Yes they are both at different price levels, but I'm getting the Gaius for 1550$ while the Defoe costs 1100$. The cap is not feminine for sure, I was referring to the pen without the cap posted. 

What do you mean by Defoe will always be easier to get later? 

New those pens are at very different price levels. Are you comparing new pens or used or some combination? If I recall the Gaius had a sword for the clip. Not too feminine.

I don't have a strong feeling about either, but the Defoe will always be easier to get later.

#4 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 6,185 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:20

The writer series is always issued in larger numbers. I think Dafoe was like 10,000. The Gaius is limited to 4810.

You should be able to get the Dafoe for much less than 1100. I think that is retail. I would think you could get it 20% off without too much trouble.

#5 adrianllg

adrianllg

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:48

I think the Defoe will be a valuated fountain pen as time goes by, totally opposite to Woolf or Wilde, that you can get them for about 500 euro or less.

MY BLOG:  PLUMADICCION.COM  ;) 
Fountain pens, inks, reviews, and more...

#6 Sidd

Sidd

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:54

Probably, as it is a well designed pen & I would expect less resellers over time. But I'm not looking to sell the pen in the future. 

I think the Defoe will be a valuated fountain pen as time goes by, totally opposite to Woolf or Wilde, that you can get them for about 500 euro or less.

#7 bmwboris

bmwboris

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:09

Both very different pens in style, materials and overall feel in the hand.

I personally like a heavier pen, plus I really like the ancient Roman theme to the pen- so the Gaius gets my vote.

On the other hand- the Defoe with its wood and scroll work looks beautiful too

But everyone's taste is different- try and see/feel both in person and whichever one draws you in better will be the one to choose

#8 Sidd

Sidd

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 12:55

Thanks for the comparison. If I had the budget, I'd buy both as they are quite unique & different. Its a bit difficult to find a Gaius to try in person. 

I've checked out the defoe at a store & its really nice. 

Both very different pens in style, materials and overall feel in the hand.

I personally like a heavier pen, plus I really like the ancient Roman theme to the pen- so the Gaius gets my vote.

On the other hand- the Defoe with its wood and scroll work looks beautiful too

But everyone's taste is different- try and see/feel both in person and whichever one draws you in better will be the one to choose

#9 zaddick

zaddick

BROADside Ambassador

• Member - Gold

• 6,185 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2015 - 19:47

I have heard there is a lot of variation in the coloration of the Dafoe pens. You should be sure you can see it or get a lot of photos before buying.

#10 fravin

fravin

Rare

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2015 - 21:25

I had once a Gaius. I have sold it in the first oportunity. 

I think that pens should write. I can't figure having a pen not to write. I understand the folks who like to treat their pens as jewerly, but for me, I expect towrite with my pens. And it can look silly, but the value of my pens are in what I have wrote with it, not the price label. 

And I would sell it again. 

The DeFoe is a great pen, a fantastic wirter. The 18k nib is fantastic. The feeder delivers a constant flow, a huge flow of ink. It writes really wet. And it's still beautifull. 

I would buy the DeFoe. And would ink it with the special edition green.

#11 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,703 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 May 2015 - 21:49

I suggest handling the pens before committing to buy. They are both great pens but which one do you prefer. The Gaius M should go to your girl-friend.

#12 Sidd

Sidd

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 15:55

Thanks for your opinions all! Very helpful but I'm still confused haha 

I do prefer the Gaius personally but Defoe seems to be a better writer from the looks of both. 

#13 JLS1

JLS1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2015 - 18:15

Thanks for your opinions all! Very helpful but I'm still confused haha 

I do prefer the Gaius personally but Defoe seems to be a better writer from the looks of both. 

As Meier suggested, you really need to try them both (and then maybe sleep on it) to decide. With that said, if one of the pens speaks to you more, then that's the way I'd be leaning. A pen you like will get used more then a pen you don't, regardless of how good a writer might be.

#14 chrisheathcote

chrisheathcote

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2015 - 18:50

I fell in love with my Defoe the first time I wrote with it. I am new to MB however thought my Cross Townsend was a joy to write with, however. The MB has now replaced it as my daily writer.

#15 tenney

tenney

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 May 2015 - 21:39

When it was first announced I asked my wife what she thought... She said she just didn't like the Defoe.  I think that's upset my tastes...  i.e. Don't let other people's opinions get in the way of what YOU think about a pen!!!

--
Glenn (love those pen posses)

#16 Sidd

Sidd

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:54

Thanks for the reply guys!

I'll be getting a Defoe now and look out for a good deal on the gaius! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: limited edition

Sponsored Content

|