The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Favorite ballpoint...

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#41 Johnny Appleseed

Johnny Appleseed

Collector of Eclectic Knowledge

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 20:49

I keep a Parker 45 Flighter BP for just such an emergency.

Got a CA, but haven't done the conversion yet. Been eyeing one of those Shaeffer's . . .

John
So if you have a lot of ink,
You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Sponsored Content

#42 mr T.

mr T.

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2007 - 21:27

Can anyone tell me what other manufacturers use standard parker refills in their ballpoints?

The same format refills are used in Bic (Select range), Inoxcrom, Rou Bill, Berendsohn, Senator, Diplomat, Prodir (as an option), Schneider (most Schneider ballpoints are contructed in a way that they can be used with Parker style refills, with Papermate style refills and with ISO 12757-2 H refills), Aurora, Conklin, Kaweco, Omas (some models), Faber Castell, Itoya (some models) Rotring and Stypen. Maybe there are more manufacturers that use these refills, but at least these offer pens with a Parker style refill. Parker refills can also be used in Ballograf pens.

Edited by mr T., 10 April 2007 - 21:46.

#43 Johnston98

Johnston98

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 09:41

Cross Ion as my stealth pen/backup pen. "Enhanced Grip" MB Meisterstuck with YAFA gel refill for my daily BP needs--not sexy but very functional.

#44 guy

guy

Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 21:04

Montblanc Starwalker with blue-medium ballpoint refill

#45 Russ

Russ

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 21:31

I'm still partial to the Cross Century ballpoint. I just wish the actual ball point / refill could be moved across the page as easily as a gel or Pilot Precision V5. THAT would be wonderful.

#46 juhtolv

juhtolv

The Nerd in Black

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2007 - 19:58

I have some ballpoint pens just for those rare events, when I must write on self-copying papers. I keep Parker Jotter Special Blue in my pocket. It is not the most comfortable, but it is tiny enough to carried on pocket. My favourite ballpoint pens are Parker Reflex and Faber-Castell Grip. They have the most comfortable gripping sections.
Juhapekka “naula” TOLVANEN * The Nerd in Black * http://iki.fi/juhtolv
ユハペッカ・「ナウラ」・トルワネン
黒服のナード

#47 sleek_lover

sleek_lover

Sleek Lover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2007 - 20:34

Nope...just grab whatever Peg might have on her desk...

And I do not plan on seeking out anything either...

Bill

#48 J English Smith

J English Smith

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,446 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 21:24

Some current faves:

Lamy 2000 regular ballpoint
Lamy 2000 4-color ballpoint
Rotring "Big Shot" Manhattan (ball OR rollerball)
Pelikan 150s
Pelikan no. 1
and more and more...

I guess I have to admit, I still love my b****.

Edited by J English Smith, 08 October 2007 - 21:25.

"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."
-Marlowe, in The Long Goodbye

#49 TULIP

TULIP

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2007 - 21:39

QUOTE(jkrewalk @ Apr 5 2007, 05:56 PM) View Post
Oh yes - almost forgot the only other favorite and its a vintage one. A 1948 Sheaffer Sentinel tha I modified to accept a standard modern Sheaffer refill (the refills that this pen accepts were discontinued 50 yeas ago!).

Now that I've seen one, I want one. Thank you for posting the old ad.

How did you modify your pen to accept modern refills?

#50 tnt

tnt

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 00:12

I have a few ballpoint pens, although they are not as unique as FP's because of the NIBs they can be beautiful and balance and design are just as important as those characteristics of a FP. I have a Cross Lapis Lazuli that was given to me as a gift for Christmas a few years back, a Graf von Faber-Castell Ebony, a Montblanc Starwalker rubber and steel pen and some vintage pens by Eversharp. Oy yeah a Molteni I picked up for next to nothing.

I almost forgot, I don't know how I could, I have a Dunhill Silver Torpedo, the first year pen when they were brought back by Dunhill. It is incredibly unique, with a removable cap that houses a quick release type of attachment system that came with scissors and a letter opener. Really more for show than use but probably the most unique pen I have ever seen. Its really not like the ones available today that have kind of a screw on attachment sustem for, say, a dip pen (which is extremely cool.) It is solid sterling silver so very heavy.

My favorite to use is probably the Montblan Starwalker, the rubber finish and substantial size makes it a pleasure to write with.

Tom
We stomped on the terra-
Lord Buckley said that

#51 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,588 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:05

I recently picked up a Pelikan Soverign 800 Blue Stripe and love the way it feels and writes. I checked inside and lo and behold it is filled with a Parker Gel refill.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#52 gregkoos

gregkoos

gregkoos

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:25

Closest one at hand.
Greg Koos
Bloomington Illinois
USA
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this shrunken globe, men can no longer live as strangers.
Adlai E. Stevenson

#53 adair

adair

Adair

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:28

The ballpoint that matches my Sheaffer Legacy Heritage. It writes so smoothly, I sometimes use it for more than just signing checks or filling out forms.

#54 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,953 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:30

My overall, all-time favorite ball pen is the original Pilot V-Ball. I think Pilot downgraded when they changed to the Precise V5, et al. Wish they still made them, but luckily I have a few left, and they look like the barrel can be refilled.

-- Brian

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#55 obmike

obmike

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 02:31

dr grip. i buy them 5 at a time because they disappear - the problem with two college-age daughters.

thank god they leave my fountain pens alone.

#56 *david*

*david*

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,508 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:56

QUOTE(pensiful @ Apr 7 2007, 01:27 PM) View Post
I own a fancy looking ball point that was presented to me by Microsoft in a system launching breakfast.

I think a "Breakfast Launching System" would be much more exciting and useful - especially for two-year-olds. smile.gif

#57 kissing

kissing

a pen for all seasons

• Member - Gold

• 2,857 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:03

For a long time, it was a yellow Parker jotter with gel blue ink inside...

Then I was charmed by a Yafa mini pen...until I lost mine (easy to lose because its very small sad.gif )

Now I've got this Sensa "Minx Gold" mini BP in a leather pouch in my pocket at all times.
I got it at a huge discount at a department store biggrin.gif biggrin.gif $100 slashed down to $9 @!!

http://www.youtube.com/kissing88

#58 funzoneplanet

funzoneplanet

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:37

I like my Cross bp
DJG

#59 jmeadows

jmeadows

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2007 - 19:38

Because i have big hands, i have a black Conklin (new) Duragaph ballpoint with either an Itoya or Parker gel refill in it. I actually like the Itoya refill better, but the tip section does look a little odd...

jm

#60 blak000

blak000

Infallible to a fault

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 19:40

QUOTE(Jeff E @ Apr 5 2007, 05:50 PM) View Post
Believe it or not, just a Plain jane Parker Jotter filled with a Parker gel refill (usually blue).

Me too!
An empty can usually makes the loudest noise.

Sponsored Content

|