Let Me Tell You About A Man Named...

gweimer1

....well, let's call him toolreplay, for the sake of argument.

He sells a lot of tools and such on everyone's favorite search and buy site. A couple weeks ago, a bunch of listings for Esterbrook nibs pop up, with somewhat high prices and offers accepted. I make a few offers on a few things, which are rejected with no actual reply. I decide to bite the bullet on a box of 9461 nibs. It's no secret that I love these nibs. The price is decent, but nothing to brag about. Payment is sent.

Within a few hours, all the previous listings are gone. New, shiny ones (with the same pictures) appear, with prices 4-6 times the previous listings. Boxes that were listed are now listing as single pieces from the box for nearly the price of the box.

My item is happily on its way to me. At least, that's what I thought.

Today, I open a package eagerly, and find a box of 1554 nibs. HUH? So, now comes the task of dealing with said site and arranging to get my product, ship back the wrong ones, and be reimbursed for postage.

Personally, I don't think I'll ever see the nibs. My theory is that our friend sold me a listing, and someone put a bug in his ear. The answer is simple - pull down all the listings still open and start over, for more money. What about that box that got away? Well, if the wrong item is sent, kindly offer a refund, and never ship. Start over again. Which, may already be happening, since there are individual listings up for a 9461 nib.

Place your bets. ....sigh....

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gweimer1

• Hobiwan

• JotterAddict62

• pen2paper

No kidding?!?!?

I'm dealing with this same vendor. Ordered a properly pictured 1554 Re-New-Point (older flat feed) and received a later Renew Point. Just sent a message about it. Should probably just cancel the whole sale and write it off. We'll see how s/he responds.....

Edited by Hobiwan

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

interesting..

if I had a boatload of an objects to place with new owners, I'd be very focusing on positive feedback by those who are seeking that object. oh, and connected to the popular book on that popular object.

wish the person well, but not a great move.. hopefully they'll reconsider their steps and follow through.

And so it begins....(as I suspected, so far). I haven't asked for a refund. I asked for the item I paid for.

"dear gweimer1

sorry for the inconvenience
i send you a paid return label
soon i got the package and give a inspection
i will provide your refund
Thanks "

I would get a hold of ebay and file a complaint and request what you paid for.

All the stories I have read here on FPN about wrong items sent and whatnot the buyer will always win out in the end. I tell ebay to have the seller send the correct item and only then you send back the wrong item.

Okay, I have some of these nibs (in pens) and I sort of did math in my head adding up what *I* would pay for this set of nibs. And I'm pretty sure that the seller is smoking something... (so much so that I went online for curiosity's sake, and the seller is in California -- where weed is legal for medical use but NOT recreational use...).

Just sayin'.

Oh, and personally, I would have opened a dispute immediately.... But that's just me because I'm a real vindictive b*tch when I get screwed over.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I would get a hold of ebay and file a complaint and request what you paid for.

All the stories I have read here on FPN about wrong items sent and whatnot the buyer will always win out in the end. I tell ebay to have the seller send the correct item and only then you send back the wrong item.

Already done. B)

I've sent this to eBay...

I will be calling your people on Monday. I believe this is a seller who is intentionally trying to defraud me, and simply not sell the item at the price agreed.
I want to call your attention to a number of his listing for pen items. I can see he has a positive rating on his normal listings.
He starts by listing some Esterbrook pen nibs, which are items I'm interested in.
A couple of those listings are - 121646875147, 121646684519
On May 10, I purchased item 111666430811
Within 24 hours, the seller pulled his listings, and they were replaced with - 111668201698, 121648721694
I believe he has an obligation to deliver the item. I believe you have an obligation to enforce fair selling practices.

I've seen those listings, and like InkedStainedRuth, wondered just what in heck was that dude smoking when he came up with his prices.

I think it must be someone who knows little about fountain pens or at least Estys. I get the feeling he thinks all nibs are equal in value. By my math, the auction you linked to is worth maybe $75-$85 on a good day? And he wants $200 above that!

I hope you get that box of 9461's at the original price, but sadly I don't have much faith in fleabay when it comes to matters such as this.

Good luck.

John L

The sad and scary thing is that someone will eventually pay what he is asking, thus ruining it for the rest of us and keeping this nonsense as an active problem.

The sad and scary thing is that someone will eventually pay what he is asking, thus ruining it for the rest of us and keeping this nonsense as an active problem.

My problem with him is that I *DID* pay his asking price for the item. It was a fair price, not a great one, but I think this seller has somehow gotten the idea that he should have asked more. If that were the case, cancel the item, and relist it at a higher price. He did that with all his other listings AFTER I paid him for mine. This just really has me questioning this person's integrity and honesty. I already see the veiled vision of things to come when he says he'll issue the refund AFTER inspecting the item I return. Another "place your bets" scenario. I will be busy with the camera today, and probably use up the rest of my monthly cell minutes on this.

I'm sorry. I did not mean to offend. I just missed the point. My frustration lies in the fact that people often ask exorbitant prices, and there is always someone willing to reinforce their greed. Without a standard grading/ pricing scheme, prices are all over the map. And therefore much more difficult to get a handle on this hobby as a newbie. It is so much worse when a seller is unscrupulous and apparently deceitful.

Just to be fair ... I questioned the seller about the error and sent pics via the conversational route ("Question about using the item or to contact seller"), rather than open a case. I don't like involving ebay unless absolutely necessary.

He responded quickly, apologized for the error, said he would ship me the correct point, and for me to just keep the wrong one without returning it. A note from PayPal came a minute later stating "Shipment label created". So it looks like I'll be taken care of. Of course, it's just a single nib. What happens with gweimer's box of 9461s remains to be seen.

I'm sorry. I did not mean to offend. I just missed the point. My frustration lies in the fact that people often ask exorbitant prices, and there is always someone willing to reinforce their greed. Without a standard grading/ pricing scheme, prices are all over the map. And therefore much more difficult to get a handle on this hobby as a newbie. It is so much worse when a seller is unscrupulous and apparently deceitful.

True that there isn't any standard grading/pricing scheme, for Estie stuff, at least. And I think that it may be only because Esterbrook is new in terms of being considered as a "desired" collectible. More people are after them now, where before, I'd have called them a "cult" classic. Also, sellers see a rare pen or point generate excitement and hammer down for big bucks, so they think ALL of them will do the same (a common disease among unknowledgeable pen sellers). Add to that an international marketplace and it can get real goofy. Pens from the "big 5" (Waterman, Sheaffer, Wahl, Conklin and Parker) seem to have settled in, and I wish I hadn't passed up all those five-dollar Waterman 52s and Parker '51s years ago ....

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

Good going Paul. Hope this turns around for gweimer1 too. (seller honors original completed sale).

If the seller only knew!

What seller wouldn't want the Harry Rinker, Say A Prayer sale? (drop to your knees in gratitude for the over the top sale).

But at what cost if you've just offended those in the epicenter of that objects discussion? AND, you still have a boatload more to sell?

That's a bummer and happens all too often. Thanks for the heads up.

He got recent positive feedback with a similar description of the wrong item being sent. Some negative feedback might make him think twice next time.

He got recent positive feedback with a similar description of the wrong item being sent. Some negative feedback might make him think twice next time.

I saw that. The item I saw was pictured as a frosted 9048 nib, and I'd bet money that he sent a different one, and then relisted the frosted one. Either that, and quite likely, or this guy doesn't look past the number on the nib. He's just not a good seller for these items, and I think he smells money that is likely not there.

I never provide feedback until the item is actually in my possession.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

... this guy doesn't look past the number on the nib. He's just not a good seller for these items, and I think he smells money that is likely not there.

Nail on the head, sez me (thinly veiled tool pun intended). :P Ya just can't treat us pen people like ya does tool guys. We think with a different part of the brain.

Best Regards
Paul

– Albert Einstein

I saw that. The item I saw was pictured as a frosted 9048 nib, and I'd bet money that he sent a different one, and then relisted the frosted one. Either that, and quite likely, or this guy doesn't look past the number on the nib. He's just not a good seller for these items, and I think he smells money that is likely not there.

Aside from the message to ebay, have you tried the direct, frank approach with the seller as Paul did? It's possible that if he knows that he, (to his yet unknown regret), shifted gears when he realized he had something desirable, but without realistic value. Ironically, the bigger issue, poor judgment, shifting gears unknowingly when working with those at epicenter of Esterbrook discussion.

Realistically, does he want to move the stock at reasonable prices into The Community seeking the objects, earning positive feedback, becoming a recommended resource? or ?

Edited by pen2paper